WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone,
i received my new stowa last week and it is great but...
i live in the U.S. and paid $75 shipping and then today i received a letter from Fedex saying i owe another $36 do i owe this? i thought the $75 covered the custom fees and shipping. i know overnight service to the UK for a watch is $50 any thoughts??? thanks for any and all insight

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Yes, its the custom fees. A lot of people in the US pay around $30 to $50 for custom fees, I guess I got lucky and and got billed $11 for my Seatime.

·
Registered
318 Posts
yep, you owe it. That's the import duty. The $75 is just shipping. It's high, but it is what I had to pay to send my watch back to Germany for service. The US Govt's cut is extra.

Dave

·
Registered
9,645 Posts
be happy...did you read the Canadian customs post? US customs isn't so bad!

·
Registered
271 Posts
exactly....when the watch arrives in Ontario, we have to pay roughly 18% of the total shipment value including any shipping costs...

pisses me off.

·
Registered
210 Posts
If I remember right there are two options when buying from Stowa. One, you get shipped the watch, pay shipping, then have to pay FedEx as well for customs. The other you pay Stowa for shipping + customs and then they cover it all so that you don't have to hastle with it. That's what I did when I bought my Marine Auto. I didn't have any extra bills after the watch arrived as it was covered with my payment to Stowa.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Matt, I don't believe that option is available anymore. Stowa streamlined their online ordering process a year or so ago, and this was one of the things eliminated for simplicity and clarity purposes. IIRC.

Dave

·
Registered
612 Posts
exactly....when the watch arrives in Ontario, we have to pay roughly 18% of the total shipment value including any shipping costs...
Yep... $36 is practically nothing. I had to pay $131.81 on my last Airman auto, and that was after paying for shipping. It was almost exactly 18%. Then again, in Europe they have to pay 19% VAT, so I suppose we do save 1%. ;)

Still, the extra cost won't stop me from buying more Stowa watches; I just wish I had known what to expect when that first one arrived.

·
Registered
226 Posts
There should not be any duties when you send your watch back for service. At least I have not paid anything for the last two times I had to send my Airman back for repairs.

I remember paying only around $25 when I got my Airman and Antea together.

·
Registered
38 Posts
There should not be any duties when you send your watch back for service. At least I have not paid anything for the last two times I had to send my Airman back for repairs.

I remember paying only around $25 when I got my Airman and Antea together.
If the repair is covered under warranty there should be no customs duty applied. You must specify clearly in the shipping manifest that the watch is being returned under warranty for repair.

As an aside, why have you had to return your watch to Stowa Airman twice for repair? That seems pretty extreme.
Randy

·
Registered
298 Posts
Nice to know about customs fees. I was wondering about this myself. I ordered a seatime as a gift (of course to myself), and was wondering what the range of final costs might be. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I return my Airman Auto without logo the first time because the screw on the rotor became loose. When I got the wach back the winding was very rough so after a few months I sent it back for repairs. I was told that the entire movement was replaced. It has been two weeks or so and the watch is winding smoothly and working fine.

I think I just got a bad movement. Overall, Stowa has been great in handling the issue. So, now I am considering the Prodiver for my 3rd Stowa. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
And do you guys know what about Australia?
I am still waiting for my AO, but according to Fedex's web site there is a A$44.10 charge from Fedex for customs clearance (not too bad since the Government charge is about $33 so they're only adding on $11 service fee) then of course the 10% GST on the price of the watch INCLUDING shipping.

Anecdotally, what can really delay shipments into Australia is quarantine, which is why I hope that Stowa don't feel the need to declare the strap separately (it is, after all, just part of the watch). Also, if there is a quarantine inspection then Fedex will charge another $37.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I am still waiting for my AO, but according to Fedex's web site there is a A$44.10 charge from Fedex for customs clearance (not too bad since the Government charge is about $33 so they're only adding on $11 service fee) then of course the 10% GST on the price of the watch INCLUDING shipping.

Anecdotally, what can really delay shipments into Australia is quarantine, which is why I hope that Stowa don't feel the need to declare the strap separately (it is, after all, just part of the watch). Also, if there is a quarantine inspection then Fedex will charge another $37.
Ahhhh, Stowa lists the watch strap separately. This has been commented on in other threads under the rubric, "WTF" (!).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts