WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
to each his own

hi stetre76
since you asked and answered your own question. i will wear it.
I find Larger size Watch more appealing to ME. so what's wrong with that.?!!!
if you like small watches that Sing to you and put a smile on your Face ? then go for it. ;-) no one will judge you.
after all you wear what YOU like.

Cheers:)
Tony

·
Registered
4,088 Posts
To answer your question, Tony; the 2982 is a higher grade movement from ETA. Somewhat ironically, it's actually smaller than the 2824 workhorse that it's replacing.

Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I would imagine that the developmental and retooling costs would be significant and that Sinn would not venture down this road without trying to realize a significant profit. I would therefore theorize that this larger case would be the frame and body for a new line of U's. This would give them an entry into the super oversized watches that are popular with a lot of serious WIS's out there.

I don't think they would go through the effort of retooling for only 200 watches.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
thanks Adam
good infos.. i'm learning about Mvmnts as i go.
Cheers
Tony

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
yeah Tim
nothing is cheap. a lot of Money goes through development , and as you said they wouldn't throw all that away for only 200 Pices.

so i hope there'll be a New U Line-up in the near future.
thanks for your reply
Tony

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
New U line - 47 mm, no tech, high $$?
A bit pointless to design and retool if the usual Sinn tech is not incorporated from the beginning. Costs more $$ to incorporate it.

Let us hope this is just a one off. If Sinn loses the Tech, they will for sure loose me!

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
The reason I purchased a U2 and a UX and a 103TiAr is because of the tech! The antifog/condensation tech is what I was looking for.

If Sinn is planning on continuing the U series with a new larger case, I'm sure that it will be more than just the adaptation of the U1. The tech that they are famous for will most definitely find it's way into a new U2 or something.

Just think what Sinn could do with a 47mm U2. With the small movement, there will be ample room for larger c/s capsules and more of them, also maybe a double and/or triple viton gasket sealing system for the caseback, all of which would extend the service interval even beyond what it is now.

Now THAT!!! would be an Ultimate U.

Mr. Schmidt, I would love to winter test one of these for you. :roll:

·
Registered
131 Posts
well i like it and would be happy to buy one, when you compare this watch to the kobold LSD for size, tech features and price i dont think its all that bad. I also own a oris diver with a 47mm case and love that.

i took my u1 for its first dive yesterday and its just the amazing and beautiful watch when you get it under water, very cool.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I agree, short run LE watches with different dials & hands & case finishes are one thing, but Sinn isn't going to go through all the development/engineering/tooling costs of an all new case for a 200 unit run. Some sort of main catalog offering would have to be in the works i suspect.

I would imagine that the developmental and retooling costs would be significant and that Sinn would not venture down this road without trying to realize a significant profit. I would therefore theorize that this larger case would be the frame and body for a new line of U's. This would give them an entry into the super oversized watches that are popular with a lot of serious WIS's out there.

I don't think they would go through the effort of retooling for only 200 watches.

·
Registered
128 Posts
this is sad. if Sinn continues to milk the U1 series, it will eventually become nothing more than a fashion watch. :(

wonder if this is what they are moving towards.

todate, there are already 7-8 variations of the original successful U1
100% agree!

what also makes me wonder is the fact that in german speaking forums there are rumors that Sinn is thinking about launching a U-series which is smaller than the up-to-date U2 and U1 with a diameter somewhere between 40 and 42mm

with this step, Sinn is about to follow other watch manufacturers that are also going to offer smaller models in the near future (Panarei for example) and therefore react to feedback from the European market.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Not a bad idea, making a 40-42mm U-series. It will broaden the customer base considerably.
As long as they incorporate all the Sinn tech.
IMO, without the tech, Sinn will loose all the appeal. It will become "just another small volume watch assembler".

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
40-42mm. Now that's an interesting rumour. It's true that many are put off by the size and weight of the U1 and UX, let alone the U2.

If true, what are the odds that it would be cheaper.

Just me speaking here but if they made a smaller lighter U2, with all the tech, that would be better for active people, less weight to swing around. Not even a 2000m w/r model but a 750m or 1000m with all the U2 tech. Might make the perfect canoeing watch eh!!! b-)

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Tim, you are already saving a lot of weight with your aluminium canoe....

I think that would be a big seller, a smaller, lighter U. With all the tech.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
lastly i don't really know the difference between the ETA 2824-2 in the U1 and the ETA 2892-A2 in the Ultimate U .?!! is the later a bigger movement to house the Larger Case???!

Tony
On the contrary, the 2892 is slightly thinner than the older brother 2824.

Some have also argued that the 2892 is slightly less robust than the older 2824, but in terms of accuracy, the 2892 is more accurate.

All the above are just subjective comments which I have read online and posted here for your reference, and not to start a flame war on the movements ;-) cheers!

·
Registered
85 Posts
Not a bad idea, making a 40-42mm U-series. It will broaden the customer base considerably.
As long as they incorporate all the Sinn tech.
IMO, without the tech, Sinn will loose all the appeal. It will become "just another small volume watch assembler".
yes i agree with this - i like my U1 alot but if it was the same size as my EZM3 then it would be perfect IMO, but what is important is maintain what make Sinn, Sinn

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
thank you for the infos..i'm trying to learn as much about Mvmnts as i go.
be well
Tony

·
Registered
905 Posts
IMHO I think is ugly and the black submarine is very tacky it just looks weird like a anomaly of some sort, and not to mention the price tag. U1/U2 have it all over this one.....<|

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
One is up for sale already......$4300......no thanks! This is just another reason for me to take a break from Sinn for a while. QC issues I've had and now fashion watches. Just my 2 cents.

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,581 Posts
One is up for sale already......$4300......no thanks! This is just another reason for me to take a break from Sinn for a while. QC issues I've had and now fashion watches. Just my 2 cents.
Have these been released to customers yet? I was at Sinn and handled this watch last Monday. I asked to take some pics for the Forum and I was told no. They said they didn't want pics floating around that didn't come from The Hour Glass or their customers. I just assumed it was because THG hasn't released them to the public yet. :-s

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
www.collectorstime.com I don't think it's listed but I saw it for sale posted on another forum under this seller.

Have these been released to customers yet? I was at Sinn and handled this watch last Monday. I asked to take some pics for the Forum and I was told no. They said they didn't want pics floating around that didn't come from The Hour Glass or their customers. I just assumed it was because THG hasn't released them to the public yet. :-s

61 - 80 of 83 Posts