WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 950 Posts

·
Banned
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
James Bond's New Watch28th March 2012007's official watch provider Omega have already announced two limited edition models to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the James Bond film series, but fans and collectors have been left to speculate which model Daniel Craig will be wearing in the new film, "Skyfall".According to leak on the WatchUSeek website, which was subsequently removed, the "official Bond watch is a 38.5mm Aqua Terra with a blue dial. Reference number will be 231.10.39.21.03.001. Price is EUR 4.050,- (incl 19% VAT). This is the watch he wears in the movie." An Omega authorized dealer, Ace Jewelers, briefly listed the model matching those details in its 2012 price list, before the entry was also removed.Above: James Bond's new watch - the 38.5mm Aqua Terra (231.10.39.21.03.001)Regular readers may recall an odd rumour that Omega were going to match the colour of the watch to Daniel Craig's eyes. Recent photographs of location shooting also seem to confirm the information.MI6 has seen price lists issued to Omega dealers and can confirm the information is accurate and the watch has an estimated launch date of August 2012.The official Omega website and catalogue does not include the "Skyfall" model (231.10.39.21.03.001) yet, but they do list the model's close relation (231.10.39.21.01.001) which appears to be identical except for the black watch face.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Daniel Craig is fit and less than 6' tall. He only looks buff in the movies because he's not standing next to someone who's truly rocked.
He's not a body builder and he's not overweight, so he obviously doesn't have the 8" wrists needed to make a 38.5 look ridiculously small. The AT wears a bit bigger as well.

At least he's not wearing a 45mm PO anymore:

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Nice catch Snakeinthegear, it does seem that our Aqua Terra scoop thread, ( I say 'ours' I mean mine... ;-) ) has become quite notorious, I've seen it mentioned and linked to on quite a few web sites, even though it's gone.

The AT looks great and goes well with the suit, I still think it's a PO in the pool photo though......

·
Registered
236 Posts
I know that there are a lot of WIS here who like the idea of Bond switching to an Aqua Terra because it's more of a 'gentleman's watch' and works better with a stylized suit. But I have to admit that it still kind of bothers me that Bond, the antithesis of a Gentle Man, would feel comfortable wearing a gentleman's watch. When you're role is to be out kicking SMERSH's a$$, it doesn't make sense to wear a watch that can't take a lickin'. He should be wearing something that is thick enough to be used as a weapon, be able to ride bareback on the hulls of submarines, and be able to survive the odd plane crash.

I know, it's a fictional character who's been known to drive invisible cars and surf tidal wave into North Korea, but it still bugs me a bit that they are going this route with the latest Bond watch.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
He's not a body builder and he's not overweight, so he obviously doesn't have the 8" wrists needed to make a 38.5 look ridiculously small. The AT wears a bit bigger as well.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.. It suited him for the less formal scenes he had to do.. I can't imagine him wearing the 42mm PO on bracelet going through all of that rough foot chase and falls.. The bracelet would have been busted up and fallen apart..haha.. Plus that 45mm PO looks really great on the rubber...

·
Registered
688 Posts
I know that there are a lot of WIS here who like the idea of Bond switching to an Aqua Terra because it's more of a 'gentleman's watch' and works better with a stylized suit. But I have to admit that it still kind of bothers me that Bond, the antithesis of a Gentle Man, would feel comfortable wearing a gentleman's watch. When you're role is to be out kicking SMERSH's a$$, it doesn't make sense to wear a watch that can't take a lickin'. He should be wearing something that is thick enough to be used as a weapon, be able to ride bareback on the hulls of submarines, and be able to survive the odd plane crash.

I know, it's a fictional character who's been known to drive invisible cars and surf tidal wave into North Korea, but it still bugs me a bit that they are going this route with the latest Bond watch.
You can scuba dive in an Aqua Terra. It can do anything the PO can do short of helium diving. That's the point: it's a classy looking watch that can be used, abused and still come up looking suave and sophisticated.

The perfect choice, really.

·
Registered
236 Posts
My apologies, I was thinking the Aqua Terra could only do 50m like a Speedy. I see it can go down 150m; certainly deeper that a scuba diver can go. That said, I still find that the bigger more robust watches at least appear to be more survivable in the situations that 007 would find him in.

·
Registered
8,558 Posts
I'm waiting for Omega to say something about the watches... but I'm liking the old school aviators. I've got a pair of Ray Bans like that (no idea what he's wearing there though) from forever ago, they still look great.

·
Premium Member
8,630 Posts
My apologies, I was thinking the Aqua Terra could only do 50m like a Speedy. I see it can go down 150m; certainly deeper that a scuba diver can go. That said, I still find that the bigger more robust watches at least appear to be more survivable in the situations that 007 would find him in.
You've obviously never handled an 8500 AT. It's quite a bit of machinery. It's essentially a diver's watch without the rotating bezel and helium release valve.

I agree completely with what Runitout wrote. The current generation Aqua Terra is a tough, do-it-all piece of equipment that Bond can rely on in pretty much any situation, much as he himself is to his employers, MI6. In other words, the watch and the character are a perfect fit. ;-)

·
Registered
236 Posts
You've obviously never handled an 8500 AT. It's quite a bit of machinery. It's essentially a diver's watch without the rotating bezel and helium release valve.

I agree completely with what Runitout wrote. The current generation Aqua Terra is a tough, do-it-all piece of equipment that Bond can rely on in pretty much any situation, much as he himself is to his employers, MI6. In other words, the watch and the character are a perfect fit. ;-)
Ya I played with one when I was buying my PO 9300 Chrono a few weeks back. I'm not saying I'm not a fan of the AT's because they are gorgeous. I've just always seen Bond as having more of a robust watch over the years. Meh, I'm pretty sure he's got more than one watch in this movie anyway. He did in the last two movies.

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
For those of you who are on twitter, check out @bondwatches (Dell Deaton of JamesBondWatches.com), have a look through the tweets from the last couple of weeks and see how many times WUS gets mentioned.... ;-)

·
Registered
7,475 Posts
Personally, I think Bond wearing an AT in this next film works perfectly. It links the cinematic 007 to the literary one. Nice choice, and yes, I think he'll be wearing more than one Omega model in "Skyfall", based on Agent Scamp's post a while ago, showing DC sitting on the edge of a pool wearing what looks like a PO. I got a sneaking suspicion that it's at the beginning of the film and the scene shows Bond swimming 900 laps or so in the MI6 gympool before M arrives to introduce him to Miss Moneypenny.
It wouldn't surprise me if there's a scene in the film with Bond dressed in drag just so they can clamp a LadyMatic onto his wrist.
Cynical, ain't I?

·
Registered
135 Posts
For those of you who are on twitter, check out @bondwatches (Dell Deaton of JamesBondWatches.com), have a look through the tweets from the last couple of weeks and see how many times WUS gets mentioned.... ;-)
Indeed he does - and not in a nice way.
I started a thread a few weeks ago in which I exposed Delbert Deaton for the charlatan he actually is - I wonder if he read that?

·
Registered
385 Posts

I'm pretty sure he wore a 42mm PO, not a 45mm.

1 - 20 of 950 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.