WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

32441 - 32460 of 34583 Posts

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Let’s not go into statistics maybe the experts here can tell me a little more about regression analysis and parametric analysis but hey what do I l know .....

When I teach multivariate stats I always tell my students to keep it as simple as possible.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
It’s a lot more complex than that. There was a good article posted about the difference in emissions from cradle to grave of an EV vs a typical car. Roughly 20% better from mining to recycling (different stages are better or worse from each vehicle). And variable for location, too.

As battery recycling gets better and greener manufacturing develops, this will only improve.

There are other downsides to lithium mining, though. So it’s a mixed bag. Once they can move on from LiOn batteries, you’ll have the next game changer.

Problem is that none of this tech gets developed if people don’t buy the cars. So while current EVs are not perfect re: green nature, it’s fueling (pun intended) the development of better and cleaner tech. It’s like trying to get an omelette without a chicken. Gotta get the eggs first.

Current discussion in Sweden is classifying the Volvo XC60 Hybrid (Sweden had to deviate from EU standards - clearly no lobbying affected their decision). OK if the driver is using battery power but once they switch over to petrol it's a guzzler.

·
Registered
19,339 Posts
Electric cars require the grid color me confused.
The thing is, electricity isn't a power source — it's a means of transmission. Like how the wheels of diesel locomotives aren't actually driven by diesel fuel, they're driven by electric motors, so you can replace the diesel-fueled electric generators with some other kind of generator.

Like Bro Al was saying, it's in the oil (and coal) companies' best interest to keep feeding us oil, so they're the ones lobbying the hardest to keep us from trying other sources. We should instead work on building smaller, more-distributed electric generator centers (solar, water, wind, modular nuclear, whatever) rather than the large (and vulnerable) multi-state grids we have now. Military bases are already trying their hardest to be self-sustaining (the airbase in Yuma, AZ, has more solar panels in one location than I've seen anywhere else). And when utility companies start to understand that they're in the business of selling energy and not oil-n-coal, this kind of change should happen faster.

We've had large-scale change before, of course. How long has it been since we used horses in New York City? Remember when we didn't have a gas station on every corner, and freeways didn't exist? I dunno about anyone else, but I think it'd be great to walk to my car and it always has "a full tank of gas", except that this time it's a fully-charged battery or fuel cell tank. Hell, I'd switch to owning only an electric car and either rent a gas car or take a train if I want to visit the family on vacation (whenever that happens again).

I still think that if the Rockefellers and their kind hadn't fought so hard for their self-interests, pushing their oil monopoly over everything else, electric vehicle development would be a lot farther along by now, including infrastructure and battery chemistry.

·
Registered
10,916 Posts
Unfortunately tv repair is quite expensive in Hong Kong. Just for them to come and check the darn thing would cost me $100 out the gate. Then the parts and labour for the actually repair itself...

Not sure if I wanna go that route. We'll see.
Because of how inexpensive it is to simply replace and our recycling facilities filling up, a few years ago our government decided to subsidise repairs of washing machines, stoves, etc. Not sure if TVs were on their list ;)

·
Registered
19,339 Posts
As battery recycling gets better and greener manufacturing develops, this will only improve.

There are other downsides to lithium mining, though. So it’s a mixed bag. Once they can move on from LiOn batteries, you’ll have the next game changer.

Problem is that none of this tech gets developed if people don’t buy the cars. So while current EVs are not perfect re: green nature, it’s fueling (pun intended) the development of better and cleaner tech. It’s like trying to get an omelette without a chicken. Gotta get the eggs first.
Yup. Remember when car batteries were only lead-acid? And then nickel-cadmium batteries came along as the more power-dense alternative (even though they're used for motive power and not so much storage)? We could technically run a Tesla off a bank of lead-acid batteries even if it's just once around the block; it was the improvement in battery chemistry that made longer ranges and higher speeds feasible.

Comparatively speaking, battery tech is still barely into the stage where internal combustion engines were a hundred and fifty years ago. It should be farther along, yeah, but I think it'll move more quickly now.

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
See? I told you Dick wanted a new TV...
Considered the repair route but it was quickly dismissed. Called up Sony Hong Kong and they gave me an estimate of US$200-$800 depending on what parts are needed.

Since that's easily up to almost 25% of a new TV Mrs Mui agreed it's better to go with a new one.

·
Registered
19,339 Posts
32441 - 32460 of 34583 Posts