WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

63261 - 63280 of 63431 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
No soup for me either. Oh well I suppose I’d pay gray if I wanted a 124060 badly enough which I really don’t. I fully understand Sporty’s position on the matter although he and I must agree to disagree on the principle of market value vs. intrinsic value.
if I understood @sportura right, his thesis is: when it comes to Rolex, market value = intrinsic value

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
GF

So many of my friends came from music. School bands, drum corps, and eventually my job. Back in school, I didn't hang out with kids from, say, trigonometry class nearly as much as I hung out with friends I made in band. In drum corps, we'd spend three months on the road, living out of coach buses and getting to know each other like best friends. Work hard together, fail together, and eventually succeed together — it doesn't matter how great you played until the rest of the corps also has a great show.

Same with my parents. They've been playing as a hobby almost nonstop since they were kids, so a lot of our family friends also play music. So it's almost by default that many of the friends I've got have musical backgrounds.

But, very few of them still actively play anymore, too. (though I believe that there's never an "ex-musician" — we just take extended breaks) Everyone goes on different tracks like regular people do. Off the top of my head, among the ones who've gotten sick this year, there's a range of jobs: working drummer; bank teller; restaurant worker; corporate office worker; website developer; working musician and his wife.

That last couple — he's at my old job, and if I hadn't taken early retirement, odds are I would have also caught it the same day that he did. It happened almost entirely because of irresponsibility among his higher-ups, and I can tell you that I would have been absolutely incensed if it affected me and MrsBS.

Anyway, starting to ramble again... gotta get back to work and push some stuff to dev.
that’s my favorite subject in high school.

curious what this job is that caused someone to be infected with covid?

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,005 Posts
that’s my favorite subject in high school.

curious what this job is that caused someone to be infected with covid?
Which job?

Here's my guesses --
Drummer: private lesson (so I've been told)
Bank teller: random infected customer
Restaurant worker: likely also a random infected customer (or three)
Web dev: in-office transmission from an infected coworker (99% sure about this)
Other musician: presymptomatic transmission in this order: maskless indoor social event -> office interaction -> home life (100% sure and documented)

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Which job?

Here's my guesses --
Drummer: private lesson (so I've been told)
Bank teller: random infected customer
Restaurant worker: likely also a random infected customer (or three)
Web dev: in-office transmission from an infected coworker (99% sure about this)
Other musician: presymptomatic transmission in this order: maskless indoor social event -> office interaction -> home life (100% sure and documented)
this one -

That last couple — he's at my old job, and if I hadn't taken early retirement, odds are I would have also caught it the same day that he did. It happened almost entirely because of irresponsibility among his higher-ups, and I can tell you that I would have been absolutely incensed if it affected me and MrsBS.

·
Registered
10,777 Posts
if I understood @sportura right, his thesis is: when it comes to Rolex, market value = intrinsic value
Yes and no. There are two answers to the question:

Yes, if one wants something bad enough they'll be willing to spend the extra money. I equate it to a girlfriend that you're just crazy about. Doesn't matter how she's wrong for you, doesn't matter how illogical it is, doesn't matter how mean she may be to you, doesn't matter how much money you are blowing on gifts and dinners. You just want this girl and nothing else will do. The right Rolex is just like that. It's a passion. It's an obsession. Nothing else will do. It's only money. You have it. So you spend it.

There is an answer that has nothing to do with intrinsic value or emotion, it's very pragmatic. The market price is the real price. That's what it costs to get these things. That's what they're worth if you ever need to sell them. I paid $17K for a $13K Daytona in 2017 and it's worth $30K and heading to $40K in 2021. I could sell my Daytona for more than I paid for it right now and I'm 100% positive that'll still be the case in 2041 if it comes to it too. Same for my Pepsi, my DJ41, and my Submariner 41. I have absolute confidence that these will be free watches after 20+ years of wear, no different than my 16610.

You go grey because a) you are obsessed and b) you are financially confident. Easy peasy. I lose no sleep over my decisions. And ask me how much I am loving my watches.

Reactions: 5959HH and AL9C1

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts

Yes, if one wants something bad enough they'll be willing to spend the extra money. I equate it to a girlfriend that you're just crazy about. Doesn't matter how she's wrong for you, doesn't matter how illogical it is, doesn't matter how mean she may be to you, doesn't matter how much money you are blowing on gifts and dinners. You just want this girl and nothing else will do. The right Rolex is just like that. It's a passion. It's an obsession. Nothing else will do. It's only money. You have it. So you spend it.

There is an answer that has nothing to do with intrinsic value or emotion, it's very pragmatic. The market price is the real price. That's what it costs to get these things. That's what they're worth if you ever need to sell them. I paid $17K for a $13K Daytona in 2017 and it's worth $30K and heading to $40K in 2021. I could sell my Daytona for more than I paid for it right now and I'm 100% positive that'll still be the case in 2041 if it comes to it too. Same for my Pepsi, my DJ41, and my Submariner 41. I have absolute confidence that these will be free watches after 20+ years of wear, no different than my 16610.

You go grey because a) you are obsessed and b) you are financially confident. Easy peasy. I lose no sleep over my decisions. And ask me how much I am loving my watches.
i think those are both Yes and Yes answers to me. :)

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,005 Posts
this one -

Yeah, that's the mini-superspreader social event.

So the officers close out their summer season with a little touch football game, right? Do it every year on the last Friday of the summer. Afterwards, they went to their club on post and had some drinks like every other year. Turned out that one of them had covid already but didn't know it (there's that gray area between "slight cough" and "holy crap" where you can spread it easily). A bunch of them caught it from him.

One of those officers was our guy's CO. Came to work Monday, didn't really feel anything, did the usual office stuff including meeting with the friend I mentioned. That CO heard either later that day or the next morning about the initial infection, so he got tested on Tuesday and it came back positive.

Meanwhile, my friend had, of course, already been home. Turned out that he caught it from the CO on that Monday, became a carrier himself, and passed it to his wife. CO told him about the positive test Tuesday. Friend and his wife started to feel it, got themselves tested, and got positive results Friday.

He said it sucked, felt worse than he'd ever had before. His wife was rocked — not bad enough for the hospital, but she had severe fatigue (she's an avid cyclist and couldn't ride for like two months), brain fog, etc. For at least five months afterwards her HR was all over the place, too.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Yeah, that's the mini-superspreader social event.

So the officers close out their summer season with a little touch football game, right? Do it every year on the last Friday of the summer. Afterwards, they went to their club on post and had some drinks like every other year. Turned out that one of them had covid already but didn't know it (there's that gray area between "slight cough" and "holy crap" where you can spread it easily). A bunch of them caught it from him.

One of those officers was our guy's CO. Came to work Monday, didn't really feel anything, did the usual office stuff including meeting with the friend I mentioned. That CO heard either later that day or the next morning about the initial infection, so he got tested on Tuesday and it came back positive.

Meanwhile, my friend had, of course, already been home. Turned out that he caught it from the CO on that Monday, became a carrier himself, and passed it to his wife. CO told him about the positive test Tuesday. Friend and his wife started to feel it, got themselves tested, and got positive results Friday.

He said it sucked, felt worse than he'd ever had before. His wife was rocked — not bad enough for the hospital, but she had severe fatigue (she's an avid cyclist and couldn't ride for like two months), brain fog, etc. For at least five months afterwards her HR was all over the place, too.
oh. In the active military?

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts
No soup for me either. Oh well I suppose I’d pay gray if I wanted a 124060 badly enough which I really don’t. I fully understand Sporty’s position on the matter although he and I must agree to disagree on the principle of market value vs. intrinsic value.
I think the difference in this regard between you and Sporty is that subjectively for Sporty, the gray market value equals the intrinsic value for him. For you, it does not. Intrinsic value is different for everybody. So there is really nothing to disagree on.

·
Premium Member
12,559 Posts

No need to go into your personal reasons.

Is it worth the money for you personally? If yes, intrinsic value = purchase price/market value. If no, intrinsic value is less than purchase price/market value. Doesn’t matter about your actual reasons, just that they are your personal reasons (hence the word “intrinsic”).

For some of those that refuse to go gray, maybe it simply isn’t worth it for them. Regardless of the “investment” value of Rolex.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts

Is it worth the money for you personally? If yes, intrinsic value = purchase price/market value. If no, intrinsic value is less than purchase price/market value. Doesn’t matter about your actual reasons, just that they are your personal reasons (hence the word “intrinsic”).

For some of those that refuse to go gray, maybe it simply isn’t worth it for them. Regardless of the “investment” value of Rolex.
Your rationale reveals rational intrinsic thinking.

·
Premium Member
9,914 Posts
Although there are some who would argue that intrinsic value should refer to the watch itself. But as established several times in other threads, the value of the parts that make up a watch do not equate to even the MSRP.

·
Premium Member
15,507 Posts
Although there are some who would argue that intrinsic value should refer to the watch itself. But as established several times in other threads, the value of the parts that make up a watch do not equate to even the MSRP.
Hence the term “intrinsic value” that does have a certain degree of subjectivity associated with the relative value of the watch. As an example, DavidSW lists a 41mm 124300 OP with blue dial at $8475 and the exact same 124300 OP41 watch but with red dial at $14,575. So does the colorful red dial truly have an intrinsic value of over $6000 more than the exact same blue dial version? Not to me but maybe someone else? Maybe…

·
Registered
10,777 Posts
Harsh, and we can debate the definition of "intrinsic" if you like, but the answer is very simple and it's in this post:

Like I said, it's about "girlfriend", nothing else. When you find the girl you want, you have to have her and you'll do anything to get her. If you didn't run through walls for her, you didn't want her badly enough. 59 doesn't want a 124060 badly enough. So he doesn't have one. I had to have her. So I do.

63261 - 63280 of 63431 Posts