WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

65961 - 65980 of 66329 Posts

·
Registered
866 Posts
Our speed limit in school zones is 40 km/h and that is about 25 mph. Traffic scientists are trying to get the government to drop it to 30 mph. The problem that I have with all this is that the rules don't make it safer because we still get horrific accidents all the time. No rule in the world can stop an idiot getting behind the wheel and driving dangerously. There are many people who have lost their license and are still on the road. The traffic cops have done nothing about it because it is too difficult to stake out their houses and haul them to courts only for the courts to cut them lose.
Traffic cams are nothing more than revenue makers for cities. Chicago is a prime example. Several years ago they installed these cameras for the "safety of the children during school hours only." But, as budget shortfalls increased the cameras were left on longer and on weekends. This past fiscal year Chicago's budget was sp out of wack they lowered the threshold on the cameras to ticket a motorist of they are 4 miles over the posted limit. They aren't even trying to hide that it's a money grab any more.

During the lockdown NYC put hundreds of cameras up while people were sitting in their homes, and turned them on. Why? There was no in person learning. Schools were closed. There was no reason for them to be on.

OoO Baby!

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
38-40 probably the sweet spot for a dress watch for my 7.25 inch wrist. If 38mm it can't have wide bezel or short-ass lugs. I've caught and released 38mm SARB033 and a Baltic HMS001 because they both just looked too small, but kept a Nomos Tangente 38 for several years. It fit me quite well as it was all-dial and around 46 L2L from memory.

I would say though that, as leather strap instantly shrinks a watch's appearance compared to bracelet, that 40mm would be better for me in most cases. Let's just split the difference and say 39 is nirvana. :LOL:
Same size wrist as you. I agree; 39mm is perfect for a dress watch.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,766 Posts
Traffic cams are nothing more than revenue makers for cities. Chicago is a prime example. Several years ago they installed these cameras for the "safety of the children during school hours only." But, as budget shortfalls increased the cameras were left on longer and on weekends. This past fiscal year Chicago's budget was sp out of wack they lowered the threshold on the cameras to ticket a motorist of they are 4 miles over the posted limit. They aren't even trying to hide that it's a money grab any more.

During the lockdown NYC put hundreds of cameras up while people were sitting in their homes, and turned them on. Why? There was no in person learning. Schools were closed. There was no reason for them to be on.

OoO Baby!
Speed cameras would be a deterrent ONLY IF their positions are marked. There's speed cameras all over Korean highways, for example, and they all have signs to show drivers where they are. They're even marked in your car's nav system so it pings when you get close. My brother-in-law likes to flash the peace sign at them, too, as if he's posing for a picture.

·
Registered
15,648 Posts

#1 - Smith St. Collingwood.

NO.
Just.
NO.

I don’t know who they surveyed to come up with this list, but unless you are into drug culture and violent crime, Smith St. Collingwood is a looooooong way from the top.

No wonder Melbourne keeps dropping down the list of “most liveable” cities if this is the face we are presenting to the world...

SoOoO many watches SoOoO little time...

·
Premium Member
29,458 Posts

#1 - Smith St. Collingwood.

NO.
Just.
NO.

I don’t know who they surveyed to come up with this list, but unless you are into drug culture and violent crime, Smith St. Collingwood is a looooooong way from the top.

No wonder Melbourne keeps dropping down the list of “most liveable” cities if this is the face we are presenting to the world...

SoOoO many watches SoOoO little time...
Adelaide is the world’s third most liveable city. Perth is at #7. Time to relocate mate.

Time to Go West.

65961 - 65980 of 66329 Posts