WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

17121 - 17140 of 21445 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
I'm not sure if it's an Asian thing as there are snobs everywhere IMO. From where I am, just look down the street at the whole Hollywood, celebrity crowd.

For Chinese people, there's a lot of importance put into the face concept - honor, respect and prestige. I think sometimes that manifests itself into purchasing these super rare, exclusive items that no one has. I do think that this helped propel luxury brands like Rolex, AP and Patek in China in recent years. From what I understand, Rolex is become so popular in China that many have one, even to keep up with the status or appear to be rich, while the wealthy have moved onto AP and Patek.

Personally because my Dad was half-Cuban and I grew up here in the US, I'm far more "americanized" whatever that means and my personality is more aligned with the Hispanic culture than the Asian part of me. Mrs Mav and my close friends always makes fun of me saying that I only look Chinese, but I'm actually a raging Cuban inside. :LOL:
You just reminded me of this hilarious video I watched some time ago

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
LOL

Reactions to celebs can be entertaining. Another time, we saw Adam Sandler in a trolley car in an outdoor mall here, and some lady yelled "Oh my f'ing God, it's Adam Sandler!!!" and starting chasing him, to only trip and fall. Belly flop onto the ground. Ouch. She was fine but was upset that she couldn't get a pic with him. HAHA
That’s hilarious, but I imagine it must be a little scary for the celebrity.

Another funny story. My wife is Mexican and years ago we were staying at one of the nicer hotels in Puerto Rico. We were having a drink in the lobby and all of a sudden my wife starts waving excitedly and kind of loudly saying Cristian, Cristian. I look over my shoulder and see some relatively short, average looking dude walking toward the elevators with a bellhop following him with luggage. Rang no bells for me. I initially thought it must be some old friend of hers. My wife continued to get up and go over to the guy right by the elevators. Long story short it turned out to be a pretty famous Mexican singer, Cristian Castro. He was very nice to us. She took some photos with him and he even gave her a CD. I didn’t mean to be rude, but I kind of just blurted our to him, “I have no idea who you are.” He just chucked and said “that’s ok”. Lol

·
Premium Member
12,279 Posts
I’m jealous. I’ve mentioned it here before that I really, really want a Hulk. Another side note, the AD that has the PAM 338 and is bringing in the 574 for me, I put my name on their “list” for a Hulk a year ago. Now though I stop in there often and window shop and do my best to be friendly with them, I’ve never actually purchased anything from them. I buy most of my watches pre-owned. I hate the whole Rolex AD games and would never buy watches I didn’t want from an AD just to get one I did want, but I am hoping that if I do end up buying a PAM from them, maybe, just maybe, it may help my chances for a Hulk. We’ll see.
Can’t hurt. Think you’ll love that 574. Whatever you do do NOT buy that 338 that’s a bonafide loser.

·
Premium Member
6,778 Posts
I’m jealous. I’ve mentioned it here before that I really, really want a Hulk. Another side note, the AD that has the PAM 338 and is bringing in the 574 for me, I put my name on their “list” for a Hulk a year ago. Now though I stop in there often and window shop and do my best to be friendly with them, I’ve never actually purchased anything from them. I buy most of my watches pre-owned. I hate the whole Rolex AD games and would never buy watches I didn’t want from an AD just to get one I did want, but I am hoping that if I do end up buying a PAM from them, maybe, just maybe, it may help my chances for a Hulk. We’ll see.
Chances are you may get that Hulk after all, I noticed that since the pandemic, many people on WUS unexpectedly received "the call", even though they weren't regular customers, so I guess that with the current economic situation, a lot of people, especially the occasional "investors" are backing off. If you end up buying the PAM, make it clear to them that you'll pick the Hulk the minute they receive it

·
Premium Member
12,279 Posts
I'm not sure if it's an Asian thing as there are snobs everywhere IMO. From where I am, just look down the street at the whole Hollywood, celebrity crowd.

For Chinese people, there's a lot of importance put into the face concept - honor, respect and prestige. I think sometimes that manifests itself into purchasing these super rare, exclusive items that no one has. I do think that this helped propel luxury brands like Rolex, AP and Patek in China in recent years. From what I understand, Rolex is become so popular in China that many have one, even to keep up with the status or appear to be rich, while the wealthy have moved onto AP and Patek.

Personally because my Dad was half-Cuban and I grew up here in the US, I'm far more "americanized" whatever that means and my personality is more aligned with the Hispanic culture than the Asian part of me. Mrs Mav and my close friends always makes fun of me saying that I only look Chinese, but I'm actually a raging Cuban inside. :LOL:
What has made the US of A unique is some of us are African Americans, Asian Americans, Cuban Americans, Euro Americans, etc., but we are all AMERICANS; that is to say we are all one culture. Unfortunately these days far too many people are disregarding that paradigm and drifting into identity politics that is incredibly divisive.

·
Premium Member
12,279 Posts
LOL

Reactions to celebs can be entertaining. Another time, we saw Adam Sandler in a trolley car in an outdoor mall here, and some lady yelled "Oh my f'ing God, it's Adam Sandler!!!" and starting chasing him, to only trip and fall. Belly flop onto the ground. Ouch. She was fine but was upset that she couldn't get a pic with him. HAHA
I’ve run into celebrities from time to time throughout my lifetime. Treated them like everyone else; so no problem. Better arc as they are not really that different from the rest of us although there are a few exceptions.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
That’s hilarious, but I imagine it must be a little scary for the celebrity.

Another funny story. My wife is Mexican and years ago we were staying at one of the nicer hotels in Puerto Rico. We were having a drink in the lobby and all of a sudden my wife starts waving excitedly and kind of loudly saying Cristian, Cristian. I look over my shoulder and see some relatively short, average looking dude walking toward the elevators with a bellhop following him with luggage. Rang no bells for me. I initially thought it must be some old friend of hers. My wife continued to get up and go over to the guy right by the elevators. Long story short it turned out to be a pretty famous Mexican singer, Cristian Castro. He was very nice to us. She took some photos with him and he even gave her a CD. I didn’t mean to be rude, but I kind of just blurted our to him, “I have no idea who you are.” He just chucked and said “that’s ok”. Lol
LOL I would hate to be famous. Some go nuts over seeing famous people. I just treat them like normal, everyday people.

·
Premium Member
4,969 Posts
What has made the US of A unique is some of us are African Americans, Asian Americans, Cuban Americans, Euro Americans, etc., but we are all AMERICANS; that is to say we are all one culture. Unfortunately these days far too many people are disregarding that paradigm and drifting into identity politics that is incredibly divisive.
1000 BIG LIKES! The melting pot philosophy that makes this country great has been sadly forgotten in recent times. I hope we will eventually get back to recognizing that our diversity is what makes us great.

Just look no further than this very thread for proof of that. Multiple people from different backgrounds, ethnicities, states, counties connecting over our shared interest of one brand. Pretty cool.

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
How about In-N-Out? the guy peeling potatos is in plain view, that would beat Sporty's wrist shot
They're fresh, but their method of making fries is simpler and doesn't get the same results. I love In-N-Out burgers, but their fries aren't in the same category. MacDonald's fries are often overcooked and too salty. Of the really big chains, I like Wendy's fried best.

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Hope you like that 574.
You ever internet stalk your used watch’s original owner? I mean who knows what soaked in that strap right? I was a bit let down. Just a real estate developer in orlando. Boring. Lol

OoO Bro
Dirty south chapter

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
Side story about the Hulk...

Some of you might remember the old Hulk TV show from the 70's or 80's. Anyways, I used watch the show with my Dad and I would run and hide every time Banner turned into the Hulk. I was TERRIFIED. I even would have this weird recurring nightmare of the Hulk chasing me around the house and wake up just as he's about to grab me.

Last year I saw Lou Ferrigno randomly here, walking towards me. I was scared $hitless! All I could see was the Hulk, like the pic below. I turned around and ran inside a store to avoid him. :LOL:

Thats great man. I remember being scared of the original hulk when we first started watching it. Wasn’t long before that’s the only part I liked. I remember his eyes and the face he made right before he changed was always so intense.

OoO Bro
Dirty south chapter

·
Registered
5,511 Posts
LOL

I kinda locked up only once trying to meet a celeb. Walked up on the Undertaker and Kane in a strip club on bourbon street. That was two massive and intimidating characters. The guy who went by Kane was a pretty nice guy that didn’t mind meeting fans. Undertaker stayed in character and wasn’t gonna be interrupted. Really intimidated guy. There was literally about 10 plate lunches on their table.

OoO Bro
Dirty south chapter

17121 - 17140 of 21445 Posts