WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Couple of weeks ago, I walked into a Rolex AD and asked them if they had a SS Sport Rolex that I could buy, the salesguy said that I was in luck, he just received some GMTs. He went back and brought me a SS GMT. I wasn't wearing my glasses to check it, but with all the hype, I thought to myself I'd better grab it before someone else does (I noticed some predatorial eyes looking in my direction). As soon as my new Rolex was in the bag, I swiftly went home frequently checking in my rear view mirror to make sure I wasn't followed. As soon as I got home, I put it in the safe, making sure that I changed the combination, just in case (my wife made some allusions about some pending divorce, better be safe than sorry).

The following days, every time I decided to take it out of the safe, one of the kids was snooping around (they also made some allusions about wanting to stay with their mother, I don't trust the little brats). It took me more than a week to have the house for myself (I feinted asbestos and lead poisoning, and sent them away for the house "sanitation"). I was finally alone, and ready to feast my eyes (with glasses) on my new acquisition. I went to the safe after checking every room (just to make sure it was safe), dialed in the combination, opened the heavy door (it squeeded, I should remember oiling it), and took out that lovely green box.

I ran to my den, locked the door (you never know), closed the curtains, laid the box on my desk, adjusted the table lamp over it, and took a deep breath. I opened the box, and there it was, the GMT with a flipped dial. How on earth can someone at Rolex be so reckless to assemble a watch upside down? what about the quality control? I never seen such a thing happen, even in a Timex. I was furious!

I had to act quickly, the one week return had passed (damned wife and kids), I jumped in my car after sliding on the hood (didn't have the time to turn around; I left a long scratch on the hood, a paintjob should fix it), and drove to the AD letting loose all the horses in my big block V8). I had some close calls on my way (nothing important, ran some red lights and scared some pedestrians), but I made it in a record time (as later attested by the police, but that's another story).

I kicked the door in (figure of speech, of course, I was buzzed in through the sas) and went straight to the salesguy that sold me the watch, pulled out the box, opened it in his face and asked him "what the hell is this?". "A Sprite?", he answered. No thanks, I am not thirsty, I answered, but I'll have an Appletini to calm my nerves. The salesguy ordered a double Appletini (he knew I needed it), and said to me that he didn't see anything wrong with the watch. Nothing wrong with the watch? I answered, the dial is upside down, can't you see it? The arrogant guy took the watch and flipped it upside down and said "that's how you're supposed to wear it". Really?, I said, do you think I am stupid, show me another one to prove it's not an assembly error. He answered that he didn't have another one, and that there was nothing he could do about it. So, you sold me the only defective watch you had, I answered, and now you are going to take it back. "Sorry, can't do, the return week has passed", said the arrogant man, and he even refused to have it fixed under warranty, to which I replied "see you in court!", and added "I'll never do business with Rolex again!", and stormed out of the shop (after being buzzed out, of course; it's not easy to make a dramatic exit with those security sas).

Beside being stuck with a defectuous watch, I felt insulted to be treated like an horological ignorant in a Rolex AD by a salesguy trying to convince me that there was nothing wrong with my watch. Of course, I can expect this kind of attitude on a watch forum where all Rolex owners are considered horologically challenged, but of all places, a Rolex shop should have been a safe place for people like us (Rolex owners).

Now, this is where I need some advices from the WIS community, what should I do? should I sue the AD for a refund plus emotional damages, or try to sell it as an "error dial" GMT and hope to cash in big?

Here is the error dial GMT, and my apologies for the sensitive eyes that might be horrified.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Rectangle

And that's how I should wear it (supposedly馃槨)
Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Wrist

Moral of the story, always check your new Rolex before leaving the store.

Oh, and looking at the pictures, I just noticed that they forgot a couple of stickers (those sneaky stickers, I discovered one hiding in plain sight on a 6 years old Rolex 馃槀).

Edited for typo.

Registered
Couple of weeks ago, I walked into a Rolex AD and asked them if they had a SS Sport Rolex that I could buy, the salesguy said that I was in luck, he just received some GMTs. He went back and brought me a SS GMT. I wasn't wearing my glasses to check it, but with all the hype, I thought to myself I'd better grab it before someone else does (I noticed some predatorial eyes looking in my direction). As soon as my new Rolex was in the bag, I swiftly went home frequently checking in my rear view mirror to make sure I wasn't followed. As soon as I got home, I put it in the safe, making sure that I changed the combination, just in case (my wife made some allusions about some pending divorce, better be safe than sorry).

The following days, every time I decided to take it out of the safe, one of the kids was snooping around (they also made some allusions about wanting to stay with their mother, I don't trust the little brats). It took me more than a week to have the house for myself (I feinted asbestos and lead poisoning, and sent them away for the house "sanitation"). I was finally alone, and ready to feast my eyes (with glasses) on my new acquisition. I went to the safe after checking every room (just to make sure it was safe), dialed in the combination, opened the heavy door (it squeeded, I should remember oiling it), and took out that lovely green box.

I ran to my den, locked the door (you never know), closed the curtains, laid the box on my desk, adjusted the table lamp over it, and took a deep breath. I opened the box, and there it was, the GMT with a flipped dial. How on earth can someone at Rolex be so reckless to assemble a watch upside down? what about the quality control? I never seen such a thing happen, even in a Timex. I was furious!

I had to act quickly, the one week return had passed (damned wife and kids), I jumped in my car after sliding on the hood (didn't have the time to turn around; I left a long scratch on the hood, a paintjob should fix it), and drove to the AD letting lose all the horses in my big block V8). I had some close calls on my way (nothing important, ran some red lights and scared some pedestrians), but I made it in a record time (as later attested by the police, but that's another story).

I kicked the door in (figure of speech, of course, I was buzzed in through the sas) and went straight to the salesguy that sold me the watch, pulled out the box, opened it in his face and asked him "what the hell is this?". "A Sprite?", he answered. No thanks, I am not thirsty, I answered, but I'll have an Appletini to calm my nerves. The salesguy ordered a double Appletini (he knew I needed it), and said to me that he didn't see anything wrong with the watch. Nothing wrong with the watch? I answered, the dial is upside down, can't you see it? The arrogant guy took the watch and flipped it upside down and said "that's how you're supposed to wear it". Really?, I said, do you think I am stupid, show me another one to prove it's not an assembly error. He answered that he didn't have another one, and that there was nothing he could do about it. So, you sold me the only defective watch you had, I answered, and now you are going to take it back. "Sorry, can't do, the return week has passed", said the arrogant man, and he even refused to have it fixed under warranty, to which I replied "see you in court!", and added "I'll never do business with Rolex again!", and stormed out of the shop (after being buzzed out, of course; it's not easy to make a dramatic exit with those security sas).

Beside being stuck with a defectuous watch, I felt insulted to be treated like an horological ignorant in a Rolex AD by a salesguy trying to convince me that there was nothing wrong with my watch. Of course, I can expect this kind of attitude on a watch forum where all Rolex owners are considered horologically challenged, but of all places, a Rolex shop should have been a safe place for people like us (Rolex owners).

Now, this is where I need some advices from the WIS community, what should I do? should I sue the AD for a refund plus emotional damages, or try to sell it as an "error dial" GMT and hope to cash in big?

Here is the error dial GMT, and my apologies for the sensitive eyes that might be horrified.

View attachment 16730929

And that's how I should wear it (supposedly馃槨)
View attachment 16730931

Moral of the story, always check your new Rolex before leaving the store.

Oh, and looking at the pictures, I just noticed that they forgot a couple of stickers (those sneaky stickers, I discovered one hiding in plain sight on a 6 years old Rolex 馃槀).

Edited for typo.
very cool, I contrary to man people like it, not sure about the date but like the bezel and the left hand nature- as i don鈥檛 like the crown digging in on the wrist. May i ask you what you鈥檙e history is with this AD, ( assume you didn鈥檛 just walk in and ask for a new hot steel release :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
very cool, I contrary to man people like it, not sure about the date but like the bezel and the left hand nature- as i don鈥檛 like the crown digging in on the wrist. May i ask you what you鈥檙e history is with this AD, ( assume you didn鈥檛 just walk in and ask for a new hot steel release :)
Of course not, I am a long time client of that AD, I had the watch on order, it's the quirkiness of the watch that inspired me to write a funny story about it.

Registered
The simplest solution is a controversial surgical procedure, you should have both your arms detached and attached switching place. Now you just have to wear the watch upside down, but since you've got your arm going the other way, it's gonna look right. Cheaper than hiring a lawyer, might come in handy for the alimony after the divorce (but judge, look, I have inverted arms, I can't find a job) and confuses watch thieves (wait, he's got no watch on his left arm, or does he?)

Trust me, I'm (not) an engineer.*

The author of the comment declines every responsibility for anything (derived from this comment or just in general, as a life rule)

Registered
You know PF, I thought mine was an isolated incident, but I too received a watch with an upside down dial. Mine is on a sub not a GMT though.

What is going on with Rolex these days and their QC? Even the worse Seiko alignment are not off by 180 degrees. They must be focusing too much on expanding their manufacturing capacity, at the expense of producing quality products. Shame.

Watch Analog watch Arm Gesture Clock

Premium Member
Affordables
Of course not, I am a long time client of that AD, I had the watch on order, it's the quirkiness of the watch that inspired me to write a funny story about it.
That really shows in the way that AD treated you 馃檪 Rolex experience really is the best.

Registered
Congratulations PF 馃憦馃徎

Im sure you鈥檒l get used to the crown being on the wrong side鈥︹.eventually.

Reactions: Panerol Forte
1 - 20 of 71 Posts