WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I am pleased to bring you the next feature of the Super Sub. This is the picture that I was sent from Doxa. I am very excited because I think that it reveals several aspects even though it was focused on the 4th revealed feature.

The Super Sub has Stainless Steel hour-markers. I believe that this is an exciting new feature for a couple reasons. First, it allows the application of more luminosity while keeping the lume secure. Second, it just looks really cool:-d.

This does incur more expense for Doxa because they did it right. Each of the hour markers have been WELDED onto the dial. Not only is this a painstaking procedure, but it also makes it much more difficult to paint the dial.

I am really starting to get excited about this watch. It truly is the evolutionary step for Doxa watches:-!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wow, wow, wow....just superb! :-!

I never expected this feature and its gonna make for a realy classy looking dial.

I think I can also see another cool feature I can get excited about. Polished centre links. I can just see some parts of the end links which look polished so I'm really hoping the bracelet will be part polished :p

·
Registered
771 Posts
Well.. the other shoe has dropped for me.

Synchron era case thickness had me pleased, He valve was a given to qualify as "Super-Anything!, Thick heavy duty bracelet was a bonus, Applied indeces look good and will reflect lume making it effectively brighter (..always a bonus)...

BUT..

The feature I've been holding my breath to see.. the Make/Break detail for me, was a domed crystal. And the crystal in that photo is domed or I need my eyes checked out!

I am a happy camper now!

:-!

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
I spy.....

Yep, looks like a moderately domed crystal. Anyone notice anything else? :-s
Have a look at the date. Unless I'm mistaken, there appears to be a cyclops.... under the crystal :-!

ETA: Okay, so no cyclops. :-d So, I'm guessing it is the metal (same as the applied indecies) that is outlining the date window. Here's an idea, what say you spin the damned thing and let us have a look! :-!

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Exactly what I was afraid of....the micro ticks on the dial. Now add in the shiny baubles on the dial, and it's definitely a no-go for me. Man, I'm disappointed. If this is the direction that DOXA is headed, then there won't be any new DOXAs on my horizon.:-(

Anybody want to sell their 600Ts?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I love the ss hour markers. I think it will look especially cool on the sharkhunter edition. Like the domed crystal as well.

Is that a white second hand on a pro? Has that been done before?

·
Registered
6,781 Posts
I was hoping for a more different design element to really make this watch stand out from the other Doxas. Many of the design features (except the bracelet) look the same with only a change in finish or color.

From a few feet away, it seems it will appear as a 750T with a new bracelet. Why not change the shape of the markers and the shape of the second hand to really make it look different.

While the domed crystal is OK, I prefer a flat crystal that isnt distorted from the side like in the picture.

·
Premium Member
5,733 Posts
Interesting............:think::think::think::-s:-s:-s:-s:-s:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d
I'm guessing it's white gold/rhodium plating. Hopefully I'm wrong.

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
I spy.....

Yep, looks like a moderately domed crystal. Anyone notice anything else? :-s
Have a look at the date. Unless I'm mistaken, there appears to be a cyclops.... under the crystal :-!
Yep I would have to say it is a moderately domed crystal similar to that on the SUB 1000T. I guessing of course, but I just held up a 750T and 1000T in the same way and the distortion on the 1000T looks the same as in the picture.

I don't think there is a cyclops. there wasn't on the prototype I saw, but then that was a while ago and it had a flat crystal to the best of my knowledge.

I'm still not convinced about the slightly domed crystal. I'm wearing a SUB 1000T now as part of the review. It certainly isn't as domed as the 600T but in my office with overhead strip lighting it seems to catch the reflections far more than the vintage 300T I wear or the 750T.... more consideration to be given :)

Pete

·
Registered
11,829 Posts
Yep I would have to say it is a moderately domed crystal similar to that on the SUB 1000T. I guessing of course, but I just held up a 750T and 1000T in the same way and the distortion on the 1000T looks the same as in the picture.

I don't think there is a cyclops. there wasn't on the prototype I saw, but then that was a while ago and it had a flat crystal to the best of my knowledge.

I'm still not convinced about the slightly domed crystal. I'm wearing a SUB 1000T now as part of the review. It certainly isn't as domed as the 600T but in my office with overhead strip lighting it seems to catch the reflections far more than the vintage 300T I wear or the 750T.... more consideration to be given :)

Pete
:-d Well, I did say "Unless I'm mistaken", and I might've been. If I was, there appears to be a black line immediatly surrounding the date window, and then another (shiny? silver? metal?) line around that. Perhaps they've used the same metal as on the applied markers to outline the date window? :-s

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I can confirm that there is NO CYCLOPS. The picture that was revealed is playing tricks on our eyes.........:-d

·
Registered
771 Posts
...I'm still not convinced about the slightly domed crystal. I'm wearing a SUB 1000T now as part of the review. It certainly isn't as domed as the 600T but in my office with overhead strip lighting it seems to catch the reflections far more than the vintage 300T I wear or the 750T.... more consideration to be given :)

Pete
No point "arguing" the aesthetic differences between flat and domed crystals. Largely personal preference issues, ya pays your money and ya takes yer pick.

Functionally though, there are pros & cons for each. All other variables held constant (thickness), a domed structure will exhibit greater load bearing capability (strength). Of greater importance at greater depth, N/A for snorkelers! ;o)

Flat crystals can more easily be rotated to eliminate all reflections. OTOH, at some angles a flat crystal can be completely obscured by a reflection.. not optimal. Domed crystals are difficult to position so that all are removed, and almost always have some reflected hotspot visable on the crystal somewhere. But.. it's impossible to position a domed crystal such that any single reflection will obscure the entire crystal. A domed crystal never "whites out".

The convex lens properties exhibited by a domed crystal can produce some oddball distortions depending on viewing angle. However, when submerged those same convex lens properties allow the dial to be seen at greater "off axis" angles through a domed crystal. The domed crystal doesn't "mirror-out" as soon as the flat crystal under water.

So... whichever an individual prefers is absolutely fine, no wrong answers either way as far as I'm concerned. But do realize that no watch makers went to the increased expense and engineering complications required by a domed crystal just because it looks cooler!

b-)

·
Registered
116 Posts

Reply by DOXA

Hi Flux and thank you for posting, I think this watch will knock off anyone who likes the DOXA SUB. If I were you, I would not judge it that soon.

The SUPER SUB will sure conquer you all.

BTW, the Aubrey design is a typical 80s design that we considered but we think it is not retro and not modern either.

Let me tell you without being biased, this is the greatest SUB ever made, both technically and aesthetically. Just wait and time will show, I am right

Rick

I am not a big fan of those Stainless Steel hour-markers... A little too much for me.
If the intention was to have brighter luminous hour markers, or even an other markers look, I think the Aubry design could have been taken into consideration...
Well, this is just my opinion, and this being said, I must admit that the SupSub dial seems to be a real piece of art...
Interesting evolution even though I am a little bit sceptical about it.
(and yes, again, sorry for my poor english) :-s

·
Registered
319 Posts
Domed Crystal :-!

Big plus for a retro watch IMHO.

·
Registered
1,918 Posts
I really like the applied hour markers. adds a bit of elegance. I don't like domed crystals that have a "coke bottle" effect and distort the view at shallow angles, as the pic indicates.

I have several watches with domed sapphire that is clear down to the shallowest angle. I prefer this.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
The domed crystal is a winner with me!:-!

Regarding the ss. enhanced markers....I will reserve my judgement until I see more views of the dial. Reminds me of Rolex changing from just lume applied markers on the vintage subs to white gold surrounds. Might take folks some time to get used to.

There is always that tug between the folks that want to keep things the same and those that want radical changes.......Doxa wants to evolve and I think they are doing a great job trying to satisfy us.:-!

Cheers,
DJ

·
Registered
3,025 Posts
Not a fan of the stainless steel markers. I think it makes the watch look cheap. A past zodiac that I owned had them and I disliked them so much I had them painted black to look more Doxa like. ;-)
That was my initial reaction when I saw the prototype and I actually photoshopped the image and sent it back with the silver edges blackened to make the dial look more like the iconic and classic Doxa dial. It looks like they stayed silver, but again it is best to reserve judgement until 10/10. Anyway, I'm a dab hand with a sharpie....ha, ha, ha

Pete

1 - 20 of 39 Posts