WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We live by the harbour and I'm fairly sure the Sydney Harbour Fort Denison one o' clock gun has missed by about ? seconds for the past week? ..

Fort Denison - The Heart of Your Harbour | History of Fort Denison

Yep I'm aware the fuse takes some time but they've had about 100yrs to sort that out.

Soooo tomorrow my wife, some friends and I are going across for the tour and lunch and I'll check it with my Breitling.

Radio stations here run 6 pips as the hour marker and the 6th pip is it!

I've just checked, I'm right on .. the local weather report is good so we'll see. That's a Martello Tower and they're steeped in history.

FYI .. Martello tower - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cheers Spaulding.

PS my only worry is, about 2 years ago I saw it was aimed straight at the Opera House :) I'll report back.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Waiting on that report Cap'n ;-)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep Mark, my wife and I and 2 friends did go to Fort Dennison yesterday and we had a great time.

Travelling by ferry on Sydney harbour is a great experience, we saw tourists doing the Harbour Bridge climb, something everyone should do.

There's a 20minute tour of the Fort including the Martello Tower. It actually goes 3 levels below ground, where they used to jail errant convicts and later in the late 1800s, stored gunpowder for the cannons.

About 10minutes to 1pm (1300hrs for Ron and Capt Rimmer) we gathered around the cannon which by the way, was still aimed at the Opera House.

Of course I couldn't harangue the gun crew with the claim I thought they were firing the 1 o'clock time signal late, I might have wound up in the Tower.

However I did ask whether I could give the signal to light the fuse .. based on my very accurate Breitling.

They were about to tell me the firing cue is based on a signal from a satellite which is linked to the Sydney Observatory which is linked to Greenwich in the UK, when the lady who was in charge held up her hand saying .. "Everybody hold it! if this guy wants to give the signal let him do it, if he gets it wrong, it's 2hrs in the Tower for him"

I looked down at my trusty B and it said to me, go for it! So I did.

In the 2years since I last was at the Fort, they've changed the actual mechansim that fires the cannon. It's now like a large firecracker which is rammed down the mouth of the gun and fired from a 5 sec timer so everyone can stand back. I added 2 secs for my arm to drop and the button to be pressed. It worked, there was a very loud BANG! and a whisp of smoke emanated from the gun. I'd like to report it was exactly at 1PM, but I'd say it was 1 second late.

No one noticed, I got a small round of applause from the crew and we went to the restaurant for a sumptuous lunch.
Every now and then I see my trusty Breitling Rep. Minutes smile at me, and today she did again :)

Cheers Spaulding.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Top Stuff Spaulding

Will have to get across and have a look myself.

·
Registered
6,065 Posts
Sensational! That's what the trusty Breitling is for :-!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts