WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As noted in previous postings, I have a G-7600 with a great module (2957). Unfortunately the watch looks like a bit of a toy. So, I decided yesterday to do some maintenance to change things. The result is interesting, definitely looks more G-Shock-like and the removal of the annoying grey inner ring has opened the face up so much that it almost looks like there is no crystal at all -- the display is that sharp. On to the pics...

Note how this "bezel" comes off. The side pieces are removable (two screws on each side), four screws on the caseback. Removing the four caseback screws of course removes the caseback as well:

Next shot gives you a look at the annoying inner grey ring that not only features the bizarre EL symbol holder but also tends to crowd the Day of week display at top. Note that the rubber bumpers at top and bottom of watch are not removable! They are integrated and you'd have to physically rip them away to get them off:

inside the watch, shock pad and alarm spring:

The module:

The annoying grey ring. Removing this was fairly easy -- just compress to expose the tab and pop it out. Of course it popped out and whizzed by my ear onto the floor ;-):

grey ring removed:

Next we use black sharpie to hide the light grey on the outside. Note that this part of the case is integrated as well.

Super fine marker to get at the recessed area:

Done. Here's a backlight shot:

Daylight shot. I think the watch is closer to looking like a true G-Shock. I really like the way the display opened up, it's huge and even brighter than before. Note at top right, just above the "N" in MON there is a notch. This is the recessed area where the inner grey ring clipped in. I tried to sharpie it, but it's metal and the angle was too awkward. Next step is to paint over the red highlights.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
I agree, that looks a lot better now.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. Still going, now I've got it just about where I want it ;-)

Went back inside the case and painted the notch with Testors flat black, it was a nail-biter working that close to the crystal. Notch is less visible now. Greyed out the g-shock logo at top and went for chrome "G" button (Testors paint). Used Testors flat black on the sharpied areas for a more uniform covering. Both areas need touch up, but once that's done...I'm done.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Completely finished mod looks great! Covering up that notch and adding the silver topped it off. Great job! :-!

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Strong work FreeDiver! I have never been to fond of that model because of the clutter, but now it looks great.|>

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Nice mod. Congratulations on being so brave!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi Freediver,

I am normally not to fond to marker customizing, but with the super fine marker you took it to the next level. The blacked parts look nice and egal. The watch itself looks totally differennt. Cool job!

Cheers,

Sjors
thanks Sjors. And I ended up going over the sharpie with the testors flat black. Also of note: I continue to use your tried-and-true painting technique: flood the area then wipe away the excess. This technique is harder to execute with the Testors than with acrylic, but if you move quickly, it can be done!

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
thanks Sjors. And I ended up going over the sharpie with the testors flat black. Also of note: I continue to use your tried-and-true painting technique: flood the area then wipe away the excess. This technique is harder to execute with the Testors than with acrylic, but if you move quickly, it can be done!
Did you have to remove the original letter paint first or did you just paint it over?

Also Do you have a close up shoot of the G-Shock lettering that I can look at?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Did you have to remove the original letter paint first or did you just paint it over?

Also Do you have a close up shoot of the G-Shock lettering that I can look at?
Hi. I don't remove anything, I go right over top of the original paint. The Testors model paint should be quite durable. I will post some close-ups once I've finished the painting. cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts