WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
12241 - 12260 of 12580 Posts

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
this afternoon, i saw an older dude in a Ralph's today wearing a Turtle on bracelet. i almost stopped him to say something, but just continued getting my stuff... if i'd been wearing a Seiko i would have, but was wearing a HELM haha

·
Registered
559 Posts
this afternoon, i saw an older dude in a Ralph's today wearing a Turtle on bracelet. i almost stopped him to say something, but just continued getting my stuff... if i'd been wearing a Seiko i would have, but was wearing a HELM haha
How awkward, if he asked "why are you calling my watch a turtle ?? "?

·
Registered
478 Posts
A while back, I bought a used PADI Turtle that came with several different bracelets, including this Strapcode Bandoleer. I still can't decide if I like it or not... very different. What does the forum think?

The dial looks modded... As well as the bezel. Looks like somebody scavenged genuine turtle parts and replaced it with Seiko 5 stuf

·
Registered
962 Posts
The dial looks modded... As well as the bezel. Looks like somebody scavenged genuine turtle parts and replaced it with Seiko 5 stuf
I removed the Bandoleer bracelet from the PADI Turtle and put it on the green watch in the photos which seemed a better match. Like more of a 1970's vibe. The green watch is a Crystal Times 702 conversion case with SPRD61 innards and bezel.

·
Registered
113 Posts
6309-7049, from 1979. I took off the GL831 strap for safe-keeping and replaced it with a DAL1BP. It's a really close match for the original and fits well.

·
Registered
7,699 Posts
How awkward, if he asked "why are you calling my watch a turtle ?? "?
honestly, it's kind of why i usually don't bring it up when i see a wearer... several years ago now, i was helping someone at work, and i noticed he had an SKX on so i was like 'oh nice, i have one of those, but i'm not wearing it today' (I honestly never seem to be wearing my Seikos when i see Seiko wearers). and he was just like 'hmm. anyway' and didn't seem to be into it lol.

and the last thing you want to do is be all excited about something while the other person is like "??? why are you talking to me?"

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Turtle Thursday! This lovely sunburst anthracite turtle from Seiko for day 4 of proper Seiko Diver's.

My most frequently worn watch of last year, dethroned by the quartz Longines HC this year (only because of the size, 39mm).

The dial is brilliant, transitioning from light ash to dark grey in a moment, and the neutral monochromatic implementation means it can remain low key on the wrist and a big strap monster.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
559 Posts
honestly, it's kind of why i usually don't bring it up when i see a wearer... several years ago now, i was helping someone at work, and i noticed he had an SKX on so i was like 'oh nice, i have one of those, but i'm not wearing it today' (I honestly never seem to be wearing my Seikos when i see Seiko wearers). and he was just like 'hmm. anyway' and didn't seem to be into it lol.

and the last thing you want to do is be all excited about something while the other person is like "??? why are you talking to me?"
I hear ya! There are so many similar instances like you describe.
I was blasting down the interstate here once, years ago. and got myself pulled over for speeding.
Thought for sure, being on a bike, just got pulled over by a bike. Damn near same model! Same manufacturer, we even were wearing the same aerostich riding jacket!
So, guilty as I was, figured I'd start conversation about riding, blah blah blah...wasn't happening!
He said something on the order of, "not really into motorcycles, it's just what I use for my job..."

I felt deflated! And, I got a big fat ticket!
I can totally see saying" cool turtle ! "

"Huh, what??"

12241 - 12260 of 12580 Posts