WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

781 - 800 of 966 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Ugliest watch from big brands?

Guys, this is a fun thread. No offense here. I recently came across this crocodile babies and couldnt help thinking just... WHY. LOL. Here are my grand nominees, I cant decide which one is uglier, maybe the Zenith has a slight "edge":

3150532f_xxl.jpg zenith_image.3617828.jpg

what about yours? lol

·
Premium Member
IWC chrono: Pilot or Porsche Design Titan
4,569 Posts
I love Patek Philippe, including (especially!) the Nautilus line. But these two make me shudder...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Re: Ugliest watch from big brands?

Guys, this is a fun thread. No offense here. I recently came across this crocodile babies and couldnt help thinking just... WHY. LOL. Here are my grand nominees, I cant decide which one is uglier, maybe the Zenith has a slight "edge":

View attachment 8993105

what about yours? lol
Lol. What are those red fan blades/propellers?

·
Registered
286 Posts
After perusing this thread, I've come to the conclusion that Zenith makes some of the ugliest watches in the universe. :)

Reactions: 5-hats

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
Re: Ugliest watch from big brands?

Lol. What are those red fan blades/propellers?
My pet theory is that they are blowers to increase internal pressure when the watch is used at great depths so as to equalize it with that of the water outside. When you take the same watch to high altitude or space, the propellers reverse and suck air out of the watch to equalize pressure. This watch both sucks and blows.

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
5 ugliest watches ever

To kick things off, there's this article on Quill and Pad:
My Vote For The 5 Ugliest Watches Ever | Quill & Pad

I figure someone's going to mention the leopard Rolex too.

So...what did the writer get right, or get wrong, and which horrors did he miss?

IMO, the Corum RR isn't ugly...at least visually. It is ostentatious and vulgar, but not nearly so ugly as the others. The Jacob Astronomia...why?? And the Kanye trumps the Rolex leopard. That's hard to do.

·
Premium Member
9,100 Posts
Re: 5 ugliest watches ever

Specifics, gents, specifics. While there are 6 pages of Inflicta Disney LEs, and about 20-30 could easily qualify...one can't count the entire catalog as being in the top 5. :)

·
Registered
39,406 Posts

There more than enough to see on the 'Ugly Watch Thread'. The Corum - Rolls Royce wasn't that ugly, just odd; sold one.

·
Registered
7,789 Posts

First of all, Invicta. I mean, look at these things. They don't have style, they're nothing special in terms of movements, and their manufacturer's notion of ethics is at least questionable (stealing designs from Omega and Rolex).

Second- Rolex Datejust, Day-Date and Daytona in "Pimp", "Rapper" and "Saddam" design versions, i.e. diamond and gem-set solid gold versions.

Third... I really don't know, pieces by which manufacturer deserve a longer commentary. Corum? Richard Mille? Jacob & Co. ? Or perhaps the Urwerk, Hublot and other ostentatious pieces of crap... The Omega Planet Ocean "Deep Black" except the basic version, the new PO GMT, the WSOTM and GSOTM Meteorite...Or maybe the diamond-set DSOTM?

Generally, anything that screams "I have no taste".

Reactions: 5-hats

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts

I'm not sure you can make a case for "universally ugly," since everyone's tastes are different. I mean, the Quill & Pad article showed me a series of watches that I thought were incredibly tacky, but I wouldn't call them ugly. Okay, maybe I'd call the Kanye West one ugly.

Me personally, I find Panerai & G-Shock watches to be pretty ugly, even though both brands have legions of fans. I also find square watches, like the JLC Reverso and the Cartier Tank, to not be to my taste; yet I acknowledge that both watches are iconic designs. Hell, I'll even go so far as to call the Rolex "Hulk" Submariner ugly, even though Rolex Nation is now honorbound to call a fatwa on me for disparaging a Rolex design. But again, this is all my personal taste.

Regards,
Alysandir

·
Registered
14,043 Posts

I'm not sure you can make a case for "universally ugly," since everyone's tastes are different. I mean, the Quill & Pad article showed me a series of watches that I thought were incredibly tacky, but I wouldn't call them ugly. Okay, maybe I'd call the Kanye West one ugly.

Me personally, I find Panerai & G-Shock watches to be pretty ugly, even though both brands have legions of fans. I also find square watches, like the JLC Reverso and the Cartier Tank, to not be to my taste; yet I acknowledge that both watches are iconic designs. Hell, I'll even go so far as to call the Rolex "Hulk" Submariner ugly, even though Rolex Nation is now honorbound to call a fatwa on me for disparaging a Rolex design. But again, this is all my personal taste.

Regards,
Alysandir
Take that back about the GShock!
The Rolex Hulk looks like the Starbucks logo.

781 - 800 of 966 Posts