WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a beginner, there are a couple of watches which I've received or that I have bid on where in hindsight I am reflecting 'What I was thinking.." which I have now put down to inexperience and beginner's exuberance (I have posted some pics in the HMT thread) - but what other some of your watches which have given you the same feeling? and it could be because of the way the watch looked, its size, could even be its price!!

Let the showing begin'..

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Re: (the unofficial) "In hindsight shouldn't have bought this" thread..

The CW C60 Trident mk3 was my first expensive purchase (read, more expensive than the Casio Royale). I was swayed by the masses and went for a Swiss made automatic back dive watch, the "correct" choice. I'm not blaming the masses for my purchase, I'm blaming myself for following them.

I regret it because I spent money on something I don't really like, but it was my first and as such lessons were to be learned. I'm in the process of selling it and whatever hit I take ill consider it the cost of learning. In that sense, it was the best watch I ever bought.

Regret, yes. But learning from it.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
The only ones I regret are the ones where I let myself be influenced by FOMO. Every time I've bought a "darling" watch, I've come away disappointed; the hype simply isn't up to it. (Unique, amazing, iconic, nope!)

The list includes a Seiko monster and the black 62MAS reissue, a Black Bay, and a vintage Seamaster which I began the sale prep for the day it arrived.

I bought two older Rolexes when actually I wanted to try something else both times, and I didn't think a great deal of either tbh. But they did make money, so I can't say I regret those as such.

·
Registered
161 Posts
This Carrera. Was a 40th birthday present to myself. Wore it for about 6 months then it sat in a wardrobe for about 7 years. I bought it thinking I know about watches but in reality knew nothing. Personally there's nothing wrong with the aesthetic, I still quite like they way it looks but the case was too thick, it's too dressy for my lifestyle and I've since learned I don't like leather straps either. I couldn't have got it more wrong!

Part-Exchanging it for my SMP 300m was the best thing I ever did with it.

Carrera-1887-V2-Close-Dial.jpg

Reactions: debicks

·
Registered
843 Posts
Most of my Steinhart watches. I'm not overly fussed with the homage issue, particularly on the pilots' watches, but wish I saved my cash and put it towards something else. They just don't get any wrist time.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
639 Posts

The CW C60 Trident mk3 was my first expensive purchase (read, more expensive than the Casio Royale). I was swayed by the masses and went for a Swiss made automatic back dive watch, the "correct" choice. I'm not blaming the masses for my purchase, I'm blaming myself for following them.

I regret it because I spent money on something I don't really like, but it was my first and as such lessons were to be learned. I'm in the process of selling it and whatever hit I take ill consider it the cost of learning. In that sense, it was the best watch I ever bought.

Regret, yes. But learning from it.
Funnily I have the same watch regret. However, I actually really quite like the watch. The problem in my case was that I didn't have a good framework regarding appropriate sizing for me (weight, case size, lug to lug, etc). So neither the 38 nor the 40 ended up working in my case, but to be honest, it worked out in the end because it gave me a clear picture of what sizes appeal to me in terms of aesthetics and comfort, and I bought them on sale and sold them without taking a big loss.

·
Registered
10,748 Posts
Isn't this the same thing as saying, show us every watch you've ever sold? (Since, if sold, this of course would suggest that you didn't want or need it.)

For me, with over 200 watches that have come and gone over the last 20 years, there are simply too many to show, or even list--what I would find a lot more interesting are the few that have survived the cut, your basic "stoc"--for me, there are only 4, and not a forum favorite among them--the ones in my signature.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts

Funnily I have the same watch regret. However, I actually really quite like the watch. The problem in my case was that I didn't have a good framework regarding appropriate sizing for me (weight, case size, lug to lug, etc). So neither the 38 nor the 40 ended up working in my case, but to be honest, it worked out in the end because it gave me a clear picture of what sizes appeal to me in terms of aesthetics and comfort, and I bought them on sale and sold them without taking a big loss.
It's a fantastic watch no doubt. This is one instance of the classic "it's not you, it's me".

Regarding the size, I spent months with those same doubts. Ended up convincing myself that "if I think it may be too big, it likely will be". I had tried a few Seiko Cocktail Time and those were too big. Size wise the 38mm CW was great, living with it for almost a year definitely helped me better gauge what I feel comfortable with.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I bought this Muhle last year and have been wrestling for 6 months what to do. I don't wear it because the hands are tough to see at a glance. The minute and second hands blend together visually. Do I keep it in the collection just sitting, do I resell it, or since I really like every other aspect of it, do I have it modified to change the hands (just hour and minute) to wider with lume so they are readable? I have a coupe of ideas on hands, maybe even syringe like other Muhles have..... Ugh...Just don't know.
muhle glashutte teutonia II weltzeit.jpg

·
Registered
3,278 Posts
For me it's this one, an Orient Star Elegant Classic.
There is nothing wrong with the watch per se (except maybe the power reserve meter that diminishes the watch as a whole) , but the problem was it wasn't the type of watch that suited my lifestyle or preferences which to be honest, I hadn't quite yet figured out. The logic was I worked in an office environment so it was OK with a shirt and tie and that it looked like a Breguet, which is a classic watch design. In hindsight, I should have saved my money. It lasted 6 months with me:

!RESIZE CIMG1251.jpg

·
Premium Member
471 Posts
For me it was an Oris Aquis. I love Oris but i immediately regretted it when I got it because of the lack of strap change options. Not a huge monetary mistake, but I took a hit reselling it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
Reactions: One-Seventy
1 - 20 of 70 Posts