WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 589 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That diver is perfection. Too bad they apparently won't be making any more of them.
Just from my own experience sharing photographs of this watch online, people seem to either really like it, or really dislike it. I'm a sucker for dive watches, and nearly 90% of my collection is always divers :LOL: So I had to at least check this one out.

I think they will come out with another diver at some point, it just won't have an ETA movement (which is what I took from that last e-mail about it), which also means it will be more expensive.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Just from my own experience sharing photographs of this watch online, people seem to either really like it, or really dislike it. I'm a sucker for dive watches, and nearly 90% of my collection is always divers :LOL: So I had to at least check this one out.

I think they will come out with another diver at some point, it just won't have an ETA movement (which is what I took from that last e-mail about it), which also means it will be more expensive.
Right, my statement may have been a bit extreme. It's because they can't get the ETA movements any longer.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was contemplating a Ming 27.02 (got as far as hovering my mouse over the button), but decided to back out. I do regret not getting it, but the funds for that went towards my EP, so happy ending I guess. Probably the main reason I did not proceed was the realization that I like the 17 series much better than the 27. Don't know for sure though, I was also hesitant to buy a watch I have never seen in metal.

Reactions: singularityseven

·
Registered
402 Posts
I’d love to see what would happen for Ming to open up with a time limited rather than quantity limited release, but I’m sure they already don’t keep up with production as it is.

I do love the design but I don’t love the idea of paying out several thousands for a watch I won’t receive for half a year or longer. I haven’t yet come to the acceptance phase of paying a premium for a used Ming just to have it now.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I’d love to see what would happen for Ming to open up with a time limited rather than quantity limited release, but I’m sure they already don’t keep up with production as it is.

I do love the design but I don’t love the idea of paying out several thousands for a watch I won’t receive for half a year or longer. I haven’t yet come to the acceptance phase of paying a premium for a used Ming just to have it now.
Yeah, and I would also love a few showrooms around the world to see it in metal first.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yeah, and I would also love a few showrooms around the world to see it in metal first.
Probably a pipe dream for any micro, let alone one that sells out in minutes online at odd hours (odd for me on the west coast of the USA at least). I can only think of a handful of micro brands that have some sort of brick and mortar presence.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I was contemplating a Ming 27.02 (got as far as hovering my mouse over the button), but decided to back out. I do regret not getting it, but the funds for that went towards my EP, so happy ending I guess. Probably the main reason I did not proceed was the realization that I like the 17 series much better than the 27. Don't know for sure though, I was also hesitant to buy a watch I have never seen in metal.
I was very close to jumping on the 27.02 as well, but decided to hold off for the Mosaic dials and 17.X releases coming this year. I enjoyed my 17.01, but I wasn't too thrilled about the terrible lume and somewhat 'basic' looking hands. If I was able to acquire a 17.06 for a reasonable price, I would do it for sure. But I think the 17.X release this year should bring with it some interesting designs, since this is the last of it's kind.

Time limited would be good, but yeah it seems like they're just about able to meet their demands as is. Yeah, I don't enjoy the paying up-front part of this. I think a brand like MING is well established enough to minimize the payment to delivery time. They don't seem like they really 'need' the startup cash for each release.

Probably a pipe dream for any micro, let alone one that sells out in minutes online at odd hours (odd for me on the west coast of the USA at least). I can only think of a handful of micro brands that have some sort of brick and mortar presence.
Yeah, I think brick and mortar is a hard pill to swallow for large brands, and it seems almost suicidal for a smaller brand to try that business model out. You're going to have tons of folks going to the store and asking to buy watches they can't get their hands on. At the best case, you'll end up with a Rolex-like situation.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was very close to jumping on the 27.02 as well, but decided to hold off for the Mosaic dials and 17.X releases coming this year. I enjoyed my 17.01, but I wasn't too thrilled about the terrible lume and somewhat 'basic' looking hands. If I was able to acquire a 17.06 for a reasonable price, I would do it for sure. But I think the 17.X release this year should bring with it some interesting designs, since this is the last of it's kind.

Time limited would be good, but yeah it seems like they're just about able to meet their demands as is. Yeah, I don't enjoy the paying up-front part of this. I think a brand like MING is well established enough to minimize the payment to delivery time. They don't seem like they really 'need' the startup cash for each release.

Yeah, I think brick and mortar is a hard pill to swallow for large brands, and it seems almost suicidal for a smaller brand to try that business model out. You're going to have tons of folks going to the store and asking to buy watches they can't get their hands on. At the best case, you'll end up with a Rolex-like situation.
Oh, I actually wasn't aware that there will be 17.xx releases this year, that's great! If that happens, the planned GS purchase will have to be delayed.

When I mentioned the physical location, I meant something like a showroom where you can at least see the watch in metal. They don't have to sell watches themselves at these locations. I do understand that it is not reasonable to expect from a small brand, like Ming. Maybe when their production exceeds the demand that can be generated online among the enthusiast community we will see some movement in that direction, especially when their prices move up further. Even at their current price level, I find it hard to convince myself I really want it and not getting influenced by the hype train. Seeing it and trying it on might help.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
The whole "limited drop" thing is a turn off for me. Why not just price the damn thing at where they think people will pay for them, and take full amount upfront for pre-orders?

I don't mind waiting 6 months, but I do mind having to get up at midnight on the chance that I might be able to buy something, and then wait for 6 months. If they can't keep up with production, they can always raise prices to clear supply and demand.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, I actually wasn't aware that there will be 17.xx releases this year, that's great! If that happens, the planned GS purchase will have to be delayed.

When I mentioned the physical location, I meant something like a showroom where you can at least see the watch in metal. They don't have to sell watches themselves at these locations. I do understand that it is not reasonable to expect from a small brand, like Ming. Maybe when their production exceeds the demand that can be generated online among the enthusiast community we will see some movement in that direction, especially when their prices move up further. Even at their current price level, I find it hard to convince myself I really want it and not getting influenced by the hype train. Seeing it and trying it on might help.
Absolutely! I think before the pandemic, they would go on mini tours and meet with different collector groups across the globe. I know they've done a few of those events on both coasts here in the US, and maybe when things return to normal, we'll see a lot more of those tours/meetups.

Yep, there's a 17 release coming with a few different models, so I'm hoping those are going to be reasonably priced.

·
Premium Member
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Thank you also for the strong response to 19.05 - when we placed production orders 12 months ago, we honestly didn’t think demand would be as high given volumes for 19.01 and 19.02. As further appreciation, we have given everybody on the 19.05 waitlist priority access to our new flagship launching next year.

The 17.06 and 18.01 H41 are officially retired as open market ETA2824 costs are all over the place for smaller brands, meaning we can’t hold original pricing. And given we have more ideas than resources, it makes sense not to repeat ourselves. However, all hope is not lost as 2021 will bring:
  • The final chapter of the 17-series, in several variants, with a movement unique to us
  • A final run of 27.01s
  • The production 27.02
  • Our first collaboration piece
  • The production Mosaic and flagship (finally!)
  • The MING Special Projects Cave, debuting with a few historical surprises and...
  • ...probably the world’s lightest mechanical watch. No plastic, no carbon, no exotic movement, sensibly sized, automatic, and plenty of crazy engineering. And it won’t cost six figures.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Thank you, this is very useful. I wonder what's the flagship model they are referring to in the blog post. And lightest watch with no Richard Mille-esque shenanigans :eek:?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Big Ming fan/collector (and longtime mostly-lurker) checking in! I've been lucky enough to have followed the brand from the beginning. I picked up a Ming 19.02 worldtimer last year and it's been on my wrist nearly every day since - quite possibly my favorite watch ever. Really looking forward to what they have coming :)

1 - 20 of 589 Posts