WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After searching WatchuSeek for other owners of weird and wonderful Seiko Sportura and Arctura Kinetic Chronographs, I did not find many (only past sales). I am starting this appreciation thread for these somewhat forgotten, but exceptionally unique watches. My hope is to attract other owners of Seiko Sportura & Arctura Chronographs (or three-handers) of all shapes, sizes and with different calibers including 9T82, 7L22 and others. There is a lot of room for sharing photos and information so please participate. Model designations and numbers vary but can include SLQ, SNL and others.

To start things off, here is my Seiko SLQ-001, the very first model of the Sportura Chronograph line launched in 1998. Seiko was very proud of this technology and called it a pinnacle of their watchmaking at the time. The model shown has the telltale signs of the 9T82 Caliber inside including...
- A mechanical rotor that spins
- This kinetic energy is stored in a capacitor (like a battery)
- The time-keeping dial on the bottom is quartz driven and very accurate.
- The 3 chronograph dials on the top are mechanical. Each dial represents different units of time:
- 1/10th-of-a-second on the left dial. This needle spins quickly, mechanically capturing 1/10th of s second. Dang!!!
- Seconds in the middle dial. This needle sweeps in 1/10th-of-a-second increments so you cannot see any ticking action. It looks like a spring drive seconds hand with its smooth sweep.
- Minutes and hours on the right. This dial has 2 stacked hands for counting up to 30 minutes and also up to 12 hours.
- All the hands in the subdials snap back instantly on resetting.
- A date window that looks like a porthole

The Seiko SLQ line of watches look like they were dropped from an outer space anime show... and that is why I love them. They represent audacious and daring designs that are unabashedly Japanese...

Seiko-slq-001-1500px.jpg

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The Unofficial Seiko Sportura & Arctura Kinetic Chronograph Fan Club

Great idea for a thread. I'm in.

My dad had one on those Arctura chronographs, and it went to my younger brother when he passed away. Amazing watch. It looks like a slightly different model to yours, maybe a slightly later iteration? As you say, it's amazing watching the fastest dial whizzing around, and the instant snap-back upon reset is amazing. The buttons have a very satisfying 'solidity' to them.

And here's a Sportura Kinetic chronograph I inherited at the same time:

Here's a Sportura chronograph (not kinetic) I bought as a treat for myself after bagging a big new job in 2007. It's a collaboration with the Honda F1 Racing Team. Great watch, and one of the very few I own which attracts comments from normal folk.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Amazing collection @Peteworrall ! You have a mixture of different models and movements. The first one is the SLQ-007 aka the "Jay Leno" because this is the watch he wore for years on his internet Show "Jay Leno's Garage. it has the 9T82 movement. it is the top of the line.

The second one with an egg-shaped dial is a SNL variant (maybe and SNL029?) with a 7L22 movement.

The Honda racing Sporturas represent a relationship Seiko had with that sport and brand... there are many excellent Honda F1 versions... you could collect just these and have quite a number of watches in the box!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Sportura and Arctura models are unlike other watches... Seiko is not afraid to use unusual shapes and dial configurations. While some designs are more desireable than others, many are noteworthy and highly collectible. I say, the weirder the bettter. I was inspired to make the fan thread after seeing a SLQ-007 "Jay Leno" on a list of ugly watches... Really?! Granted, these watches are not for everyone's tastes, but really? haha

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Here is an SLQ009 on the left in titanium and an SLQ007 on the right in stainless steel. They look practically the same except the SLQ009 has ridges on the lower dial and the word "titanium" on the case under Sportura. The weight difference is really noticeable. The other difference can be found in the clasp that went from a non-adjustable hidden-clasp model on the 007 to a revised adjustable model on the 009. It has micro adjust holes. Seiko SLQ009 vs SLQ007.jpeg

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In case you are wondering about the SLQ model numbers, there are only ODD numbers and Seiko skipped the EVEN numbers. There were only 13 in the complete set:
SLQ001
SLQ003
SLQ005
SLQ007
SLQ009
SLQ011
SLQ013
SLQ015
SLQ017
SLQ019
SLQ021
SLQ023
SLQ025
discontinued after this...

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Very nice! That SATX 001 is distinctive and rare too if only 500 were made! It looks pretty good size-wise. Some of the later SLQs got huge!

The SNL021 has an egg-shaped crystal, and I cannot think of another watch that has such an interesting shaped glass. Kudos to Seiko for going out there...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
The Unofficial Seiko Sportura & Arctura Kinetic Chronograph Fan Club

All of this reminds me of the fact that Seiko is the ultimate watch brand, and definitely my favourite. I would go so far to say it's my favourite brand. Period.

My wife and I were doing a pop quiz about each other the other day, and I asked her "what is my favourite watch brand?".

I had "Breitling" in mind, because I own an Aerospace and my grail watch is an Emergency, but my wife answered "Seiko".

My gut reaction was to disagree, but then I reflected and I realised she was right. I own god-knows how many Seikos, and I absolutely love the brand. She was right.

This arrived today, to illustrate the point. A reissued "Arnie".

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you want a great source of information about the Seiko kinetic models, check out SEIKO Kinetic Finder - Chronograph Watches. I have learned more about these watches here and they show most of the models... You can compare them too. This site is a real asset to Seiko watch collectors, and we should all be thankful someone (Eric) built it.

watch sleuth.png

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The direct drives are interesting. For those who aren’t familiar... turning the crown will charge the capacitor. This is not possible on other rotor-charged kinetic chronos. You either have to shake them or put them on a special charger made by Seiko

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
684 Posts
Interesting enought the omegamatic from the late 90s has winding the crown powers the capacitor.

Reactions: masqueman
1 - 20 of 43 Posts