WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

261 - 280 of 897 Posts

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
Team Sinn, 101 days of ownership with the 07' U1 with Rubber strap.
Here is what has happened and how I wear it

It has kept perfect time for my lifestyle.
I do not know the +/- and not sure how to even check it or care to learn.
I have worn it every day.
it has never not stopped running. ever.
It goes in the shower.
it has played frisbee,baseball,wrestled with girlfriend.
It has scratches on the buckle from hard use, working on things, riding motorcycles,partying,swimming, etc... I am a man not a hand model.
the crown is still perfect as is the coating/crystal
The band is tough,comfy and no issues.
I need no other watch. I would consider trading it in on a U1 Chrono if Sinn takes trade-ins otherwise its on my left wrist working and having a great time being my friend,partner and time keeper.

-Travis

·
Registered
594 Posts
75 days with my UX, worn 74 of those days.

It has lost one second (compared to USNO) in that time. It should be running better than +/- 5 seconds a year, which is quite good even for a TC quartz.

The only complaint I have is that both the bracelet and the rubber strap are so nice, I can never decide which to wear.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hello Sinners,

I'm one of the proud owner of U2. Bought it yesterday from a local AD here in Singapore. Left 1 piece and still brand new. Since it was a well sought after and not wanting to wait in the que, I grab that last U2 piece. Inspected everything and happy with the condition of the watch.

There was also 1pc of UX. Also last piece. The U1 already sold out and need a deposit. Since the U1 & U2 have a long que to wait, about 2~3mths. My thoughts on the U2: It is a simple watch with date, complications for the Dual time zone (GMT) with solid Submarine Metal Case,special oil to withstand -45degrees celcius, bright luminova at an entry level of a swiss made watch... What more can you ask for more? Easy and readable at a glance. only is that if the Superluminova can last a bit longer will be very useful. Why can't they used the tritium Gas tube?

Anyway, my U2 have not died on me as yet since today is the 2nd day. Everyday is a new adventurous day with the U2.

Cheers,
Jay

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi fellow sinners,

I got my first Sinn, a Sinn U1 after a rather surprise short wait. When I placed my prder and deposit for it, I was hoping and praying that I would be able to get it within a month... Guess wat, the AD called me yeaterday that they managed to squeeze one piece for me from the just arrived shipment and was I Delighted!!!

I was hooked on the U1 only recently, during the Tempus fair where my friend bought one. As always, I went online to search for more info and references. Read Dr Harry Tan review, watch magazines interview with the CEO and not forgetting the thoughts of Sinners here.

I love the look and design of the dial, esp the hands which is unique. I rarely like red, but the red hands stands out. As for the strap, I find the feel and fit of the straps comfortable. Looking forward to buying a black leather strap with red stiching. Anyone has any suggestion (esp those in Singapore)?

The U1 feels good on the wrist, no swaying about on my wrist. Many thanks to the AD for a good job in adjusting my strap to give me a perfect fit.

I must agree with many Sinners here that the AR coating is fantastic! I find myself staring at the watch on my journey home, amazed by the effect of the AR coating.

i look forward to visiting this forum and learn and share with all the fellow sinners.

Cheers from Singapore :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
My U1 - A little more "bling".

Well, I got my U1 about a month ago. Had some problems with a loose bezel and decided to return it to Germany. Problem is, I CAN'T GET IT OFF MY WRIST! Seriously, I am love with this watch and find it hard to part with - even though it is temporary.

Previously I had my heart set on an IWC ingenieur. After reading all the comments on the forums I decided to get the U1 instead. No regrets at all (even with the bezel - provided they can fix it). I then tried on my friend's AMG Titanium Ingenieur and found it too light. Almost like plastic. My wrist got used to the weight of my U1. Next to the U1, the Ingenieur seems a tad small.

So I work near some marble countertops. The bracelet picked up some light scratches on the grey bead-blasted finish. I decided to polish the bracelet. While doing so I decided to polish most of the watch other than the bezel. Voila! My watch came out nice and shiny. Quite nice. A subtle shiny, but slighly matte finish. All with just a little work and some flitz and metal glo polish.

OK, so for the downsides to the watch:
- The bracelet is a little loose between the links, though I love the thickness of the links.
- The crystal is a tad hard to maintain due to the outside AR coating, though I love it when it is polished up.
- English instructions would be nice.
- Lume is pretty pathetic
- The white color of the hands is a different shade than the indices on the dial/face of the watch.
- Red enamel on the second hand is a tad uneven in the coating.

Despite all this, it's a great watch to have and much cheaper and better value for the money than an IWC. Now I am thinking with the money I have "saved" I just may get a Black 756! :-d

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi fellow sinners,

I got my first Sinn, a Sinn U1 after a rather surprise short wait. When I placed my prder and deposit for it, I was hoping and praying that I would be able to get it within a month... Guess wat, the AD called me yeaterday that they managed to squeeze one piece for me from the just arrived shipment and was I Delighted!!!

I was hooked on the U1 only recently, during the Tempus fair where my friend bought one. As always, I went online to search for more info and references. Read Dr Harry Tan review, watch magazines interview with the CEO and not forgetting the thoughts of Sinners here.

I love the look and design of the dial, esp the hands which is unique. I rarely like red, but the red hands stands out. As for the strap, I find the feel and fit of the straps comfortable. Looking forward to buying a black leather strap with red stiching. Anyone has any suggestion (esp those in Singapore)?

The U1 feels good on the wrist, no swaying about on my wrist. Many thanks to the AD for a good job in adjusting my strap to give me a perfect fit.

I must agree with many Sinners here that the AR coating is fantastic! I find myself staring at the watch on my journey home, amazed by the effect of the AR coating.

i look forward to visiting this forum and learn and share with all the fellow sinners.

Cheers from Singapore :)
You probably can have a look at the leather strap on the link below
http://www.watchbuys.com/store/pc/vi...&idproduct=479

Its available at THG. List is S$190 but should be able to get a discount from the SE.
Cheers!

·
Registered
396 Posts
My Sinn U1 has been my everyday watch for about 6 months. Overall, I have been pleased with its performance and functionality. Certainly, the most ledgible watch I have owned. Accuracy has been very good +1-2 sec's.

I wear mine on the bracelet, which has picked up scrapes on the clasp area. I appreciate the bracelet design and use of hex screws. It would be cool if there was a tegimented U1 bracelet.

The AR coating definitely improves visibility, although there is the much talked about "smudge" factor. I found two hairline scratches about 1mm in length in my outside AR coating. No big deal, but they are visible upon close inspection.

The U1 wears comfortably for it's size. However, I can't get beyond thinking it looks a bit big on my 6.5" wrist. If only it was about 2-3 mm smaller it would be perfect for me.

My ownership experience is coming to an end as I found a new love in the 203 Arktis and will be parting with the U1 soon.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
After owning a U1 and UX previously I decided to buy a used U2. IMO, the U2's AR coating is much better than either the U1 or UX. I really like the U2 the best of the three. :-!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Remarks on my new Sinn UX

I've got my Sinn UX for a month now and I'd like to share the experience.
In brief:

My UX is very accurate, current extrapolated drift is about -1.0 second/year.
Its heavy, you really know you're wearing it.
Though I have small wrists, it's not a problem for me to wear a big watch the UX is. If you have small wrists, don't abandon big watches before trying them.
I bought it in a shop where they had two UX and I picked the better one (of course :)).
Please see my UX buyer's checklist below.
The AR coating is rather sensitive to smudging, just like my AR coated sunglasses. I use the same glasses cleaning cloth for both.
The lume is rather weak, next to useless after 15 minutes or so. In particular the seconds hand is almost invisible in the dark.
Got a phone call from Lothar Schmidt in response to an email to Sinn with some questions concerning tinted hands. Exciting!
I'm prepared to get tinted hands but accept this. I hope that by the time this is to be fixed, Sinn has improved the lume as well.

Here's my UX buyer's checklist, compiled from various problem reports:
- Checking equipment: bright LED lamp, magnifying glass, blotting paper.
- Hands and indices should be as white as the inlay in the lunette.
- Crown should allow two rotations to screw/unscrew. Fewer is bad.
- Using blotting paper, check there's no oil smear from the glass nor the unscrewed crown.
- Check everything for scratches.
- Check dial for dark spots on the silvery border.
- Using the bright LED lamp, check for shiny debris floating in the oil, on the dial, under the glass.
- Check the seconds hand aligns with the index marks.
- Check the seconds hand is not scratching the inside AR coating of the glass.
- Check no air bubble visible.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just got my UX back from Service and returning it tomorrow because the seconds hand is off around the whole dial by about half a second now :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just to participate in your discussion:
I have bought a Glycine Airman 7 and went to the local swimming pool, result:
Despite the reading 8ATM waterproof 60cm of water were enough to ruin the thing. The watch was literally flooded, but not like the U series with OIL but with H2O.:-(
So I brought it to the service and explained them the problem. They were very helpful and kept excusing, explaining that this should not happen to a 4 week old watch.
So after 3 weeks (last Monday) I got the thing back with a plastic bag of spares they had changed inside the thing and I put it back on my wrist and on Wednesday I went to the local swimming pool with the kids for a test.
So guess what happened. The 2,3 meters of maximum depth were enough to flood this thing again <|
So Thursday I
First went back to the Glycine dealer and asked him to ship this sh... back to Switzerland to either fix it properly or to remove the engraved WATERPROOF 8ATM and then, on the way back, I had to stop in SINN to get me the UX GSG9 because I got so used to a filled watch (be it water or OIL or Argon)

So I am now a happy owner of a TOOL because this watch seems very robust, precise, and moreover practical.
Put it on and forget about it.

So, another SINN in the collection and I think it will not be the last one

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Well, here’s the latest installment of my U2 ownership experience. It’s been a little over 22 months ago that I received my U2 and I have pretty close to 6000 hours of wear time with it now.

All is well, no problems whatsoever. It’s getting easier to do this as the ‘ole U2 just keeps on keeping on.

Of note, I went south to visit my brother the first week of October and we cut 6 cords of wood. It was already cut and limbed and dried over the summer. We cut the logs into blocks and then split it with a wood splitter, loaded, carted and piled it. Old faithful took a whole days worth of a husqvarna chainsaw and the associated vibration and came out running about 20 seconds fast. The next day, it was back to running about 5 seconds fast. Looks like the vibration caused it to jump a few seconds. To think of it, it took a helluva beating that day. I also smacked it pretty good last weekend on an aluminum stepladder while shoring up the house for winter. It’s been around man and seen a lot and its running between 4 and 6 seconds fast depending on the usage and abusage! It’s still looking like new. So far so good.

Winter’s here now … right on time! Soon, we’ll be snowmobiling and we’ll see how this thing handles it’s third winter. This winter is not like the last two wimpy ones, it’s going to be a normal one, cold and lots of snow. We will definitely see quite a few below -40’s.

Anyway, here’s a vid of the U2 and 22 months of abuse. Looks pretty new eh??

Cheers,
Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got my UX back from Service and returning it tomorrow because the seconds hand is off around the whole dial by about half a second now :(
This is rather sad. According to the date of your previous post, you had to wait more than two month to get your UX back from Sinn. I hope they give you priority this time.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just joined the U series club, about 10.5 hours ago. Its a U1 no less and I know for sure the purchase of this engineer marvel is not due to a moment of weakness. And I am glad that I didn't have to wait too long to get it. Thanks to all the fellow SINNers, who provide the reviews and advices via PM that facilitate the decision. :thanks
I am sure I will enjoy this watch in the years to come...

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a U1 Tempus in Sept and sold it away 5 days ago in Dec. Its AR coating was scratched less than 2 weeks after I bought it when I knocked against a display rack accidentally at a dept. store. Was utterly disappointed as I had not even a scratch on my 7 yrs old Tag Heur f1. I do like the heft and the look of the PVD coated watch. however, its workmanship just feels a bit amateurish and unrefine as compared to a Rolex. Its lume sucks too. does not last and i could never tell the time in the cinema after 30 min plus in the darkness. No residual lume to speak of.

In the end i succumbed and bought a rolex seadweller in late Oct and the U1 was not getting any wrist time. Hence I decided to sell it.

I bought it based on the hype and the 'gd reviews' but decided it does not meet my expectations in terms of quality and look.

Thats just my view.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Got my U1 end Nov from the AD in S'pore. Went swimming with it a few times and I just noticed that the AR is somehow affected. At certain angles, you see many patches that looks like water spot, like when you do not dry a window properly and let the water dries by itself leaving behind some marks. Very dissappointed. I never had such a problem with my 656. Looks like Sinn workmanship is going down the drain.

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #279 ·
Well, time for another update on my U2. I have now owned it for over two years and have around 7000 hours of wear time. All is well and no scratches and/or blemishes to report. Anti/reflective coating is still perfect and accuracy is around the +5 seconds per day but I had a couple of days where the accuracy went up to +10 sec/day after enduring some rough abuse.

The bracelet clasp has picked up a few scratches as did the links on either side of it. Yup, non-tegimented but it held out extremely well for the year and a half I have had it. I think those scratches show that it's been worn and used and I look at them as battlescars.

Winter is back and it's a normal one which means cold and windy with lots 'n' lots of snow.... and that means snowmobiling. I've worn my U2 again this year on the outside of my gloves while sledding in -20 celsius weather. This is my U2's third winter and I will be looking forward to doing another winter test or two once some really cold weather hits again.

I would put my U2 up against any watch out there. Two full years of hard abuse in extreme climates and under extreme duress has not affected this watch one bit.

My copper sulphate capsule site glass is still white. Probably a millishade towards the blue but pretty much unnoticeable. It handled the snowmobiling without fogging or condensing.

I still highly recommend this watch to anyone who wants an extremely tough, durable and reliable watch which can handle pretty much any climactic and environmental conditions you would like to expose it to.

No need for photos as it looks exactly the same as all the other photos I took of it. It still looks new.

All the best,
Tim

·
Banned
1,339 Posts
I'd have to say this is a great watch. I am however disappointed in the AR coating. I have a few other watches that I rotate but I've been waring this one quite a bit. Yesterday I was soaking in the ol tub and had the U1 on. I turned on the water to rinse it off before I got out and the strap for some reason came loose and it fell in the water and sank to the bottom of the tub. Sure enough it now has a lil scuff on the AR. I guess I'm over it now, but for the first 4 hours every time I looked at the watch I could see nothing but that damn nick in the light.

Other than that I love this watch.

261 - 280 of 897 Posts