WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Post pictures of your Traska watches! This thread is well overdue.

I now have two of these beauties and I'll provide a mini-review of them. The one I'm missing is the Freediver, so I'll leave that one up to others. I think Traska makes the ultimate affordable watch simply because they hit that sweet spot of $500usd (give or take) while doing a much better job of packing in more value for that amount. You get everything you'd expect at this pricepoint like sapphire crystals, excellent lume, proper fit and finishing, excellent hands and dials, milled clasp, 4 micro-adjustments, etc. Here's a few examples of what you get which you generally don't find at this price point and sometimes don't find in watches costing several times more.

1) Regulated high-beat, high quality Japanese movement. I know some people have said they'd like to see a Swiss movement in these, but honestly a Swiss movement isn't going to do much for quality while adding significantly to the cost and almost certainly increasing thickness. As such the Miyota 9 series is an excellent choice for this watch. It's a low profile movement which allows for thinner watches which Traska takes full advantage. Stability has never been a problem for these movements, but most builders are just going to slap them into the watch and you get whatever accuracy that came from the factory. Traska takes the extra step of regulating these movements in 4 positions. Both of my Traskas are less than 1 second per day on wrist. That is simply incredible for a watch in this price range. I know of no other manufacturer anywhere close to this price pulling that off.

2) Scratch resistant coating. I'm not extremely hard on my watches, but I usually wear them 24 hours per day and don't remove them for anything other than showering. As such I pick up at least small scratches even in the first week of wearing them. I've had my Commuter which I've worn cumulatively for over a month and not a single scratch on it big or small. At this point it's safe for me to say the coating is very effective. The only down side is it initially makes the bracelet ever so slightly stiff and some have reported small problems with the clasp not wanting to let go or a bit hard to engage. At least in my experience all of those problems disappear after a bit of wear.

3) Fully articulating bracelet. You rarely see this in this price range. Instead of a 3 link oyster style bracelet that really isn't a 3 link oyster style bracelet this one actually is. That extra bit of articulation makes a noticeable difference in comfort. The bracelet molds itself to every curve of your wrist just like the real oyster bracelets do.

4) Original design. There's no question Traska takes inspiration from other watches, especially in regards to the Commuter and Summiteer. But these aren't homage watches. They have masterful design elements which make them uniquely Traska.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Surprised this thread doesn't have any replies yet! I'm glad to read your assessment of these watches, especially as you've owned two of them for a bit. I do have my eye on a green Commuter, so your last pic really caught my attention (y) I actually just received the white dial version, and am still evaluating it. The clasp on mine is a bit finicky, but hopefully, as you've noted, it releases a bit better over time.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The clasp on my Summiteer doesn’t always release easily, but it does it less now than when I first got it. I’m sure with a bit more wear it will right itself. At worst it is a minor inconvenience on a watch that is otherwise flawless.

I’ve been wearing the Summiteer almost daily since I got it with no more than a day of not wearing it at any one time. After two weeks from setting it initially it’s now 4 seconds fast for an average of less than 1/3rd of a second daily error.

·
Registered
16 Posts
That accuracy is on point! I've not timed mine yet. Here's a quick snap of it. Bought it as a gift for someone but I might keep it 🙂 It's hard not to compare it to the Oyster Perpetual, but I do have a white OP and I'm fairly impressed with the quality of the dial here in comparison. Both have a somewhat satin quality to them in direct sunlight, but I'd say the Commuter is more white, while the OP is more silver white eggshell in tone.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That accuracy is on point! I've not timed mine yet. Here's a quick snap of it. Bought it as a gift for someone but I might keep it 🙂 It's hard not to compare it to the Oyster Perpetual, but I do have a white OP and I'm fairly impressed with the quality of the dial here in comparison. Both have a somewhat satin quality to them in direct sunlight, but I'd say the Commuter is more white, while the OP is more silver white eggshell in tone.
I'd be interested in accuracy reports from you and others. The positional variation of both of my Traskas is very low, so I would expect them to remain consistent over several weeks. Extrapolating my Summiteer's error out to a month, that's about 8-10 seconds off. With a consistently positive error that means I could set the watch about 4 seconds slow at the first of the month and never be more than 5 seconds off for the entire month while wearing the watch 24 hours every day and not resetting it. It's pretty hard to find a mechanical watch that will do that at any price point, much less in the $500usd neighborhood. It may well be that I got lucky and got an excellent specimen, but given both of my Traskas are running very nearly spot on it seems this may be typical.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I love that green dial on the Summiteer. I backed the Freediver when it debuted on Kickstarter. I thought the mint dial was just too cool (pun intended) to pass up. It's been a treasured piece in my collection that I don't think I'll ever sell. I'll have to take some nice photos at some point.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'd be interested in accuracy reports from you and others. The positional variation of both of my Traskas is very low, so I would expect them to remain consistent over several weeks. Extrapolating my Summiteer's error out to a month, that's about 8-10 seconds off. With a consistently positive error that means I could set the watch about 4 seconds slow at the first of the month and never be more than 5 seconds off for the entire month while wearing the watch 24 hours every day and not resetting it. It's pretty hard to find a mechanical watch that will do that at any price point, much less in the $500usd neighborhood. It may well be that I got lucky and got an excellent specimen, but given both of my Traskas are running very nearly spot on it seems this may be typical.
Preliminary data points show mine is running at +12.8 spd. Unfortunately, nowhere near as accurately as yours, and within specifications according to the website, which cites a variance of -10 to +20. I'll give an update once I've had a bit more time with it.

·
Premium Member
2,868 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Preliminary data points show mine is running at +12.8 spd. Unfortunately, nowhere near as accurately as yours, and within specifications according to the website, which cites a variance of -10 to +20. I'll give an update once I've had a bit more time with it.
That's a bit of a shame. I suggest wearing the watch for as close to 24 hours per day as you can stand and averaging the total over a week or so. If you take the watch off at night, how you position it will make a big difference. If you do take it off at night you can experiment with leaving it crown up, down, dial up, down and see which position corrects or minimizes the error the most.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks OP for this thread, which I agree is long overdue. I owned the first G Summoteer, and though it was a good effort, the 2nd G, with boxed sapphire, rounded case sides and impeccable accuracy make it a superb value And, they look great on straps too !
4A3128E3-C983-437D-B24F-9951869DD254.jpeg

·
Registered
152 Posts
I’ll add another photo to the thread

I also just ordered a new Freediver. Looking forward to it. Was trying to decide between two colors and nearly bought two, but managed to restrain myself.

·
Registered
207 Posts
After sending it back for movement repair, I feel the Freediver v3 improves on the v2 in almost every way.

Thinner, double domed sapphire, great bracelet. One slight negative is the clasp can be difficult to release. Early on, I had to unscrew a link to get it off. After adjusting it to my wrist, it's getting better. I guess I can feel safe in the fact it won't just disengage on me.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
That accuracy is on point! I've not timed mine yet. Here's a quick snap of it. Bought it as a gift for someone but I might keep it It's hard not to compare it to the Oyster Perpetual, but I do have a white OP and I'm fairly impressed with the quality of the dial here in comparison. Both have a somewhat satin quality to them in direct sunlight, but I'd say the Commuter is more white, while the OP is more silver white eggshell in tone.

View attachment 15871030
There’s a very strong chance one of these is in my future.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts