WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On principle, I'm against the idea of fashion companies creating watches, as there's no reason to expect a garment maker's expertise to extend to mechanical watches. While a few companies, such as Ralph Lauren, use good movements, the whole idea of it strikes me as a vulgar marketing ploy. I couldn't help but fall for this one, though:

Dior Chiffre Rouge CD084510A002 - Luxury Of Watches

36mm is a good size, and the full package has a tastefully restrained aesthetic (unlike, say, Chanel's watches). Very gentlemanly. The vertical line (fake cutaway) on the right side is just enough to give it a unique personality. Now, I don't see any reason to expect the movement to be very good, and I probably wouldn't buy it, but I'd be curious if you knew of any other watches with a similar appearance.

I'm also curious to know what your thoughts are one fashion watches in general. Are there any you like?

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Regardless of what it has under the hood, I find it very odd that they've taken what otherwise is a clean, classic looking dress watch, and put a big diver crown on it at the 4 o'clock position, as well as an odd date location for no reason. It ruins the entire aesthetic of the design.

What I find is a bit of a dichotomy with fashion houses that offer branded watches is that they produce ridiculously expensive clothing made with high quality materials, but generally will slap their name on a piece of Chinese made quartz junk when it comes to watches. There are a few exceptions, like Ralph Lauren as you stated, but it's true for the majority. If you produce high quality clothing, you should match it up with high quality watches and not sully the brand.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I don't see why fashion brands shouldn't make and sell watches.. Watches are, whether you like it or not, a fashion accessory. They see a demand in a market, and answer to that with the goal to make money. I can't believe why that would be a that big a deal..

If you like a watch, go for it. It shouldn't matter which company made it.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
There are some I do like the looks of. I try to stay away from them though, for fear that the WIS (or snob, if you will) in me will make me not really like or wear them in the future.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't see why fashion brands shouldn't make and sell watches.. Watches are, whether you like it or not, a fashion accessory. They see a demand in a market, and answer to that with the goal to make money. I can't believe why that would be a that big a deal..

If you like a watch, go for it. It shouldn't matter which company made it.
If, say, an established handbag maker started making formal wear, I'd understand this as a logical extension of their brand: They have the facilities for refining and processing fabrics, stitching, a certain quality control, etc. On the other hand, if a pen maker, such as Montblanc, starts to make mechanical watches, that strikes me as a much more radical change in product lines, and, yes, a cheap branding opportunity.

I respect your opinion though. Sure, some of them look cool, but that's not my only concern.

·
Registered
15,261 Posts
On principle I won't diss any watch because of it's heritage or lack thereof. If I like the look and can afford it, they normally get strapped on . . .

Attachments

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Uuuuhhh...what exactly is a fashion watch anyway.
that is a question without a question mark so will assume its derogatory remark ! you know what is a fashion watch surely -usually a watch that has more sympathy with deodorant and fine fitting garments

·
Registered
6,127 Posts
i have handled the dior series in person
slightly overpriced for the quality, but good watches nonetheless

i am personally leaning towards an Alfred Dunhill

this is just me acknowledging Hermes & RL as 'non fashion' watches anymore :)

·
Registered
844 Posts
If a "mall watch" is any watch that is sold in a mall, then Breitling, UN, Corum, Rolex, Omega, Cartier are all mall watches. (they all have their own stores in my neighborhood mall)

When it comes to "fashion" watches, its really a matter of taste. Dior has been selling watches for a while and they are interestingly styled. If i remember correctly they are owned by LVMH so they should have some help from any watch companies that LVMH owns.

·
Moderator Public Forum
22,608 Posts
that is a question without a question mark so will assume its derogatory remark ! you know what is a fashion watch surely -usually a watch that has more sympathy with deodorant and fine fitting garments
What, exactly is a fashion watch anyway??

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
What, exactly is a fashion watch anyway??
ok ! i will refer you back to one of your posts about Tag sunglasses !I think this is not entirely serious but a gentle poke at those who are into matching colors, brands, etc. '
maybe you answered your own question in that sentence

1 - 20 of 38 Posts