WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Watch Table Analog watch Wood Clock

Greetings comrades, the intention of this thread is to entertaining, so do not expect a great background.
I just want to share some pieces of the URSS maps, as the title says it will refer to maps and also to Russian watches.

We will start with an old map I got on the all-way page, It was adverticed as an engraving, but I doubt it.

Art World Font Rectangle Wood

It is written in Spanish language, and looks like a spy map, with industrial centers, direct profit lands of the URSS areas where the URSS had gained resistance, etc... I thought it was very curious.

Here below we have the old piece of map with a Zim commemorative watch.

Watch Analog watch Rectangle Clock Font

The watch is a quite rare one, I had not seen it before, it has scars, tattoos, I would say it is a watch with soul. It commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Urss, so it will be from 1967. If you look closely at the sphere, it has red dots, I don't know if it will be the hero cities, named honorably for their resistance to the German invasion, or maybe the USSR repulblics.

Let’s continue with maps, here I show you the cover of an Atlas of the Soviet Union CCCP, it is from 1973.

Rectangle Book Font Electric blue Pattern

It is mainly a road map, there are some complete maps inside and detailed ones by Soviet republics.
This one would refer to Ukraine Republic :

Font Gas Rectangle Technology Logo

And here's the partial map of that republic.

World Ecoregion Map Atlas Line

You can see the Black Sea, the Sea of Azov, Odessa, Crimea, Moldova etc.. And again a watch :

Watch Analog watch Clock Font Material property

It is a Zim commemorative of the URSS establishement, this is the 60th anniversary, so it will be from 1977. The watch has been refurbished by myself , plexi hands etc..

Let’s continue with another map:

Brown Rectangle Textile World Beige

This coloristic map is from the National Geographic in 1967, the level of detail is astonishing, meridians and parallels are observed, in my opinion this map is beautiful, I would spend hours and hours observing it.

And here below another watch:

World Wood Font Gauge Motor vehicle

This is a Raketa with 2809 movement, it has a textured dial, and shows the map of the URSS with a monument of a soldier and a little girl, it commemorates the 40th anniversary of the end of World War II.
If you are a good observer on the background you can see the city of Leningrad, former communist denomination of the city of St. Petersburg and where Raketa watches were manufactured.

Yet another watch, back to Zim -Pobeda:

Watch Brown Analog watch World Font

This Zim commemorated the 60th year of the USSR creation, so it must be from 1977, on the background on the map , we observe the city of Kuybyshev, the present Samara, where the Zim watches and some Pobedas were produced , just a a bit above by the crown we can see the city of Chistopol, where we all of us know Vostoks were manufactured and still being produced.

Finally I would like to show you a very unique watch. I remember talking to a Russian customer named Sergey, about 10 or 12 years ago, he knew I was a collector, and he told me that existed some wonderful watches with the map of the USSR on the dial , gold-plated coating both in case and sphere , I stared at him and I didn't understand him, now I'm pretty sure he meant this one:

Brown Analog watch Watch Wood Clock

The photo is made exprophese without strap, naked, to highlight its beauty. It's a gold-plated dress watch, and one of the grails inside the collection map.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Material property

The movement is a Raketa's 2209, the thinnest of all Russian movements with a central seconds hand, thinner than the 2209 vympel, Poljot and Luch,

Branch Wood Gesture Twig Finger

Notice the thinness of the movement, another wink to the Raketa hometown, again the USSR name of the city Leningrad .

Allow me, the posh detail of the strap also matching with Raketa brand:

Watch Analog watch Amber Clock Wrist

some extra linked information about Raketa 2209 watches for anyone who wants to dig deeper ,although as it was said , it is not the main goal of this thread.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/what-was-the-point-of-the-raketa-2209.669820/https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/raketa-2209-vs-poljot-2209.3691970/https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/rekord-me-3854642.html

to come to an end the family photo of the Russian watches with the
USSR map.

Watch Analog watch Wood Clock Watch accessory

Hope the article has entertained you for a little while, Greetings , and thanks for reading.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to you Stuart230, I am glad your mood has been changed even for a film , have a nice weekend .
Thanks for posting, must have taken some time to put it together. I wouldn't want to get caught "back in the day" with that first map. This puts me in the mood for a good Friday night cold war spy movie.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I also am an enthusiast of maps so I enjoyed seeing these maps.

That National Geographic is stunning and a work of art. How large is it?

Those watches are beautiful, each one.
Thank you for this little journey.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Matt Bored, Thanks for your kind comments the map is 68 cm x 43cm, and it is very detailed.

I also am an enthusiast of maps so I enjoyed seeing these maps.

That National Geographic is stunning and a work of art. How large is it?

Those watches are beautiful, each one.
Thank you for this little journey.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Congratulations on your collection.

I know how hard it is to get a good example of the 2209 you have with the red band.
I have seen a lot in worse condition.

I took some watch photos the other day using a map in an old atlas from the 30's-40's. It doesn't have an exact date.
Watch Analog watch Map World Clock

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Grant J, and congratulations on your baltika , still missing in my collection as many others. Generally speaking watches and maps make a good pair.

I know how hard it is to get a good example of the 2209 you have with the red band.

I took some watch photos the other day using a map in an old atlas from the 30's-40's. It doesn't have an exact date.
View attachment 15920524

·
Registered
342 Posts
Thank you Grant J, and congratulations on your baltika , still missing in my collection as many others. Generally speaking watches and maps make a good pair.
I've just re-read your name and, after adding a space, wonder if it has anything to do with something like this?
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Now I'd better add a watch photo before I get into trouble...
Watch Land vehicle Analog watch Speedometer Gauge

Watches and motorcycles can make a good pair too. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, Grant J, it has something relative with , wonderful Sherpa Kit campeon! . It is not the first time I met people with the same hobbies , let's stop here , please, in order not going out of the main topic.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Watch Analog watch White Light Clock

I've just re-read your name and, after adding a space, wonder if it has anything to do with something like this?
View attachment 15922027
Now I'd better add a watch photo before I get into trouble...
View attachment 15922032
Watches and motorcycles can make a good pair too. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
I hadn't forgotten about this thread. So a few more photos for today:
The same atlas as last time. This time with a 2209 (not as nice as the OP's).
World Watch Map Green Yellow

Watch Analog watch World Wood Rectangle

The cover is a nice as the contents! A similarly aged vintage Pobeda.
Watch Brown Analog watch Wood Gesture

From Q3-48. Not the first time it has been shown on the forum, but thought it looked appropriate here. :)
Brown Font Grey Money Currency

I have also had this book for a few years. Published by Time-Life Books in 1984.
Watch Book Publication World Clock

Appropriate to post here, as it also has a map!
Watch Calipers World Map Analog watch

And a title page that is just asking for a watch to be added.
Watch Motor vehicle Clock Font Circle

Interestingly it does not mention watches. :(
Motor vehicle Font Automotive lighting Watch Circle

I have always liked this photo.
Watch Arm Guitar accessory Analog watch Musical instrument

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Nice watches and photos Grant J. I like all of them, also the Komandirskie one with the child.

Let me answer with a pic, of the wild Kamchatka peninsula, my favorite Zims and a Russian Nautical compass given to me as a present from a nice chap.

Watch Wood Analog watch Gauge Font

Greetings

I hadn't forgotten about this thread. So a few more photos for today:
The same atlas as last time. This time with a 2209 (not as nice as the OP's).
View attachment 16024696
View attachment 16024700
The cover is a nice as the contents! A similarly aged vintage Pobeda.
View attachment 16024701
From Q3-48. Not the first time it has been shown on the forum, but thought it looked appropriate here. :)
View attachment 16024702

I have also had this book for a few years. Published by Time-Life Books in 1984.
View attachment 16024704

Appropriate to post here, as it also has a map!
View attachment 16024709

And a title page that is just asking for a watch to be added.
View attachment 16024710

Interestingly it does not mention watches. :(
View attachment 16024712

I have always liked this photo.
View attachment 16024721

·
Registered
84 Posts

View attachment 15920524
I would guess it is pre -WWII map, as USSR map lacks 3 Baltic republics, parts of Belorus, Ukraine and Moldova

·
Registered
520 Posts
View attachment 15907472

Greetings comrades, the intention of this thread is to entertaining, so do not expect a great background.
I just want to share some pieces of the URSS maps, as the title says it will refer to maps and also to Russian watches.

We will start with an old map I got on the all-way page, It was adverticed as an engraving, but I doubt it.

View attachment 15907473

It is written in Spanish language, and looks like a spy map, with industrial centers, direct profit lands of the URSS areas where the URSS had gained resistance, etc... I thought it was very curious.

Here below we have the old piece of map with a Zim commemorative watch.

View attachment 15913645

The watch is a quite rare one, I had not seen it before, it has scars, tattoos, I would say it is a watch with soul. It commemorates the 50th anniversary of the Urss, so it will be from 1967. If you look closely at the sphere, it has red dots, I don't know if it will be the hero cities, named honorably for their resistance to the German invasion, or maybe the USSR repulblics.

Let’s continue with maps, here I show you the cover of an Atlas of the Soviet Union CCCP, it is from 1973.

View attachment 15907478

It is mainly a road map, there are some complete maps inside and detailed ones by Soviet republics.
This one would refer to Ukraine Republic :

View attachment 15907481

And here's the partial map of that republic.

View attachment 15907515

You can see the Black Sea, the Sea of Azov, Odessa, Crimea, Moldova etc.. And again a watch :

View attachment 15907492

It is a Zim commemorative of the URSS establishement, this is the 60th anniversary, so it will be from 1977. The watch has been refurbished by myself , plexi hands etc..

Let’s continue with another map:

View attachment 15907486

This coloristic map is from the National Geographic in 1967, the level of detail is astonishing, meridians and parallels are observed, in my opinion this map is beautiful, I would spend hours and hours observing it.

And here below another watch:

View attachment 15907488

This is a Raketa with 2809 movement, it has a textured dial, and shows the map of the URSS with a monument of a soldier and a little girl, it commemorates the 40th anniversary of the end of World War II.
If you are a good observer on the background you can see the city of Leningrad, former communist denomination of the city of St. Petersburg and where Raketa watches were manufactured.

Yet another watch, back to Zim -Pobeda:

View attachment 15907491

This Zim commemorated the 60th year of the USSR creation, so it must be from 1977, on the background on the map , we observe the city of Kuybyshev, the present Samara, where the Zim watches and some Pobedas were produced , just a a bit above by the crown we can see the city of Chistopol, where we all of us know Vostoks were manufactured and still being produced.

Finally I would like to show you a very unique watch. I remember talking to a Russian customer named Sergey, about 10 or 12 years ago, he knew I was a collector, and he told me that existed some wonderful watches with the map of the USSR on the dial , gold-plated coating both in case and sphere , I stared at him and I didn't understand him, now I'm pretty sure he meant this one:

View attachment 15907493

The photo is made exprophese without strap, naked, to highlight its beauty. It's a gold-plated dress watch, and one of the grails inside the collection map.

View attachment 15907496

The movement is a Raketa's 2209, the thinnest of all Russian movements with a central seconds hand, thinner than the 2209 vympel, Poljot and Luch,

View attachment 15907499

Notice the thinness of the movement, another wink to the Raketa hometown, again the USSR name of the city Leningrad .

Allow me, the posh detail of the strap also matching with Raketa brand:

View attachment 15907501

some extra linked information about Raketa 2209 watches for anyone who wants to dig deeper ,although as it was said , it is not the main goal of this thread.

https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/what-was-the-point-of-the-raketa-2209.669820/https://www.watchuseek.com/threads/raketa-2209-vs-poljot-2209.3691970/https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/rekord-me-3854642.html

to come to an end the family photo of the Russian watches with the
USSR map.

View attachment 15907506

Hope the article has entertained you for a little while, Greetings , and thanks for reading.
Wonderful entry, such an interesting thread must be praised. You also have an exquisite taste in watches. That Raketa 2209 was beautiful!

Reactions: Matt_Bored_O

·
Registered
342 Posts
I would guess it is pre -WWII map, as USSR map lacks 3 Baltic republics, parts of Belorus, Ukraine and Moldova
It is very strange that it isn't dated. I can only guess from looking at countries that had name changes.
It has Ethiopia (changed in1941) and Indonesia is listed as East Indies (1945-49).
Also has Jordan (1946).
In the back there is a paragraph titled "Slicing and sharing a post-war Europe."
So would appear to be very early post WW2.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts