WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After several months as a new G-Shock collector, and purchasing over thirty new G's, I have reached a verdict as to my favorite G-Shock.

Here it is, my GW-6900BC-1JF.

This is my favorite G-Shock of all those in my collection. Even more than my G-7900, if by only a narrow margin.

What is important to note about these pictures, is that I did _not_ use a flash, nor any other special lighting. These were taken with my Panasonic Lumix ZS1, without a tripod, just hand holding the camera. The lighting is just regular office lighting as I snapped these while sitting at my desk.

Now that you know the specifics of how the pictures were taken, I think you will find as I do, that this negative display is very easily read, and quite impressive. Amongst the many things I like about this watch is that it's display is devoid of a multitude of colored writing, therefore giving it a much more clean look. The eyes, or windows above the time field serve as the various function indicators, and in the time keeping mode as you see it here, at a glance you get the time, day, month and date. All in one quick easy read. While this is well known by those of you who are G-Shock enthusiasts, I wanted to list these basics for the people that may be new to this watch.

It is the module design and functionality of this model which is one of the reasons it's my favorite. Also the "All Black Look" is both handsome and conservative enough that when I feel like it I can wear it with my suit at work. The monochromatic look is one that I find quite compelling.

Another feature of this GW-6900BC-1JF, which makes it my favorite is the very stylish, scratch resistant and comfortable bracelet. It's composite, comprised of CFRP (carbon fiber reinforced plastic) textured main links, with stainless steel IP coated center links. It's light, strong, and gets neither hot or cold depending on ambient temperatures. I find it amongst the most comfortable of all bracelet equipped watches I have. With a very secure, fast and easy to close deployment buckle, it can't be beat.

Cheers...;-)

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hi,
very nice :-!! I really like the yellow GW-6900 btw. I think I need another yellow G since I sold my DW-6900 'FIFA'.
The display looks really good :-!!
My favorite is my modded GW-9010:

My new GW-2500B come in a close second but nothing beats the GW-9010 when it comes to functions :-!. I especially like the alarms setable to day/date and the rally timer. If it showed current time in timer-mode it'd be the perfect G. But there's no such thing, so the hunt goes on :-d.

Greetings, Sedi :)

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love this watch Sedi!

You've done a fantastic job of setting it up to your liking and as far as colors go, you know how much I love Red. Next as my favorite color combo... it's Red & Black... so as you can see, this fine specimen speaks to me...:-!

Cheers...;-)

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
It's almost impossible for me to honestly answer this question since I'm a chronic flipper... what fav now might not be in a week for now...

Still if I HAVE to name a fav it would be negative display GWM5600B wit metal braclet. I just has that understated look that goes with everything and features are really all that I ever realistically need.

That beeing said this one is a drawer queen for quite some time now. This is because I've been on a shoping rampage for the last 4-5 months and GWM never quite got into rotation yet...

For the last 3 weeks or so I've been constantly wearing new Frog. I really really like it but I need to give it more time to call it my fav.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Very nice. My G7900 is my fav;-)
Ah.. Yes!

I absolutely love the G-7900 I have. It was a very difficult decision for me between the GW6900BC and my G-7900-1D. Two models that are truly great G's in my opinion.

But then again, that's _MY_ problem... I really haven't seen a G yet that I don't like...ha..ha..ha... Just some are better than others.....:-!

Sorry, but I just cannot resist a chance to post a pic of my G-7900 ...Especially since it's in my favorite Red & Black...:)

Cheers...:-!

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
:thanks m8! I finally found a seller in Germany who has 18 (!) BNIB G-9000TLC for sale - so I might pull the trigger next month on an original 'Team Land Cruiser' Mudman (with read bezel and strap). Because I originally bought the TLC-bezel to do a TLC-mod on a standard Muddy but then put it on the GW-9010 instead to get rid of the black/red-contrast on the bezel - I like the black/red-contrast between bezel and strap but on the bezel alone it was a bit too much I think:

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice choice duke4c!

See... that's my problem too, is to try and pick just one. However it's a game I like to play and decided I would force myself to choose one....:-d

I like the one you've chosen for it's classic look, it's bracelet, and timeless position in the lineup as one of Casio's greats.

Cheers...;-)

It's almost impossible for me to honestly answer this question since I'm a chronic flipper...

Still if I HAVE to name a fav it would be negative display GWM5600B wit metal braclet.

·
Registered
13,980 Posts
Hey Sedi, is this the one you are talking about?

I would love one of these, it's really great looking!

:-! Indeed - that one it is ;-)! Can't believe there's a seller out there who still got plenty of those lying around :-!. And for a good price too (100€). Now I got three on my short term wish list however (PAW-1300, G-9000TLC, DW-5000SL). This might lead to some serious financing problems :think: - probably might sell something.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey Archer,

I am not too sure if the bracelet main links you referred to are CFRP. Mind I ask the source that verify this? Thanks.
Here's the story, I thought they were resin. I just accepted it as that.

Then I bought one from Tiktox and it was damaged in shipping which was not their fault, but the shippers. I ended up with it for free, but it was junk. So, just for fun, I gave to a very good friend of mine that is a plastics expert and works in a lab. He did an analysis and determined it was CFRP. There is a lot of companies using CFRP now, because it's very low cost, yet a high quality material. For example my high end workstation, ThinkPad W500 is built using CFRP for the bottom half of the case. The top half is Magnesium, and the entire structure is very sturdy. It has great torsional strength and is very rigid. He gave me dozens of examples of the common products it's used in today and thus the low price of the material itself.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi,
very nice :-!! I really like the yellow GW-6900 btw. I think I need another yellow G since I sold my DW-6900 'FIFA'.
The display looks really good :-!!

My new GW-2500B come in a close second but nothing beats the GW-9010 when it comes to functions :-!. I especially like the alarms setable to day/date and the rally timer. If it showed current time in timer-mode it'd be the perfect G. But there's no such thing, so the hunt goes on :-d.

that look great |> i would like to put the same module in a stormtrooper..

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Eeeeks... Bulldog!

I just _knew_ you were going to do this to me...ha..ha..ha..ha...:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

I am blown away at the beauty and functionality of this watch! And it get's better or worse depending on how you look at it.

The good news is I _still_ have one on order with Amazon, the bad news is through no fault of their own the shipper (UPS) lost it in transit to me..ARGH!!!

So the latest is that it's due Monday. And I have already decided that I'm going to have to "re-frame" how I think of G-Shocks. I am going to break them down into two categories. What I am calling for my purposes, the "regular" G's. This being defined as "Digital Display Resin Based Models" that cost less than $300.00 USD.

Then the "luxury models" such as this one, which is far too nice to be tossed into the same category as my $79.00 G-7900 (even though I love that watch). I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, or even myself for that matter..ha..ha..ha.. but it's something that I'm toying with as I simply find it hard to evaluate a beautiful model like the one pictured, and compare it to a more traditional G in the $100 to $300 price point.

·
Registered
485 Posts
My new GS1100 Giez is a lovely watch. Not many functions but beautifully made.

Gone off digi a bit - it won't last.

Mrs Matt has just got a white Baby G (digi) and that's a looker on her wrist.

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Eeeeks... Bulldog!

I just _knew_ you were going to do this to me...ha..ha..ha..ha...:-d:-d:-d:-d:-d

I am blown away at the beauty and functionality of this watch! And it get's better or worse depending on how you look at it.

The good news is I _still_ have one on order with Amazon, the bad news is through no fault of their own the shipper (UPS) lost it in transit to me..ARGH!!!

So the latest is that it's due Monday. And I have already decided that I'm going to have to "re-frame" how I think of G-Shocks. I am going to break them down into two categories. What I am calling for my purposes, the "regular" G's. This being defined as "Digital Display Resin Based Models" that cost less than $300.00 USD.

Then the "luxury models" such as this one, which is far too nice to be tossed into the same category as my $79.00 G-7900 (even though I love that watch). I don't know if this makes sense to anyone else, or even myself for that matter..ha..ha..ha.. but it's something that I'm toying with as I simply find it hard to evaluate a beautiful model like the one pictured, and compare it to a more traditional G in the $100 to $300 price point.

I had the same "luxury model" feeling at first, but after getting to know it better, my opinion is that this is one tough watch, even the bracelet is protected by resin.

Enjoy

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I had the same "luxury model" feeling at first, but after getting to know it better, my opinion is that this is one tough watch, even the bracelet is protected by resin.
Great Stuff.... Now, let me ask you this, especially since like me you have a large wrist. Does this MTG "wear larger" (feel larger on your wrist) than the GW2500 series?

1 - 20 of 70 Posts