WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of the longer standing forum members may have noticed that the thread content of the Russian Watch Forum has become dominated by Vostok over recent times. Indeed, there was a suggestion a while ago for a separate Vostok sub forum.

So, to look at this more closely, I took a snapshot of the first 50 threads on four separate occasions over the course of about three weeks and analysed the thread content and the number of views. Thread content was determined by the brand name of the watch featured in the thread. In most cases this was clearly just one brand. Where more than one brand is featured I have categorised this as "mixed" and where there is a subject other than a brand of watch, for example a thread which discusses cleaning techniques; this I have labelled "other".

As you can see from the pie charts below, Vostok represents between 44% and 61% of all the first 50 threads on each occasion over the period. However, when you take into account the number of views of each thread over this period, Vostok related threads represents a staggering 85% of all the views of all threads in the sample. You will see from the views pie chart that I have had to use 3 decimal places to show the very small percentage of views of some threads. This, in my view, clearly shows the level of interest in Vostok watches on the forum.

WUS F10 Sample 1 07-10-2016.jpg WUS F10 Sample 2 09-10-2016.jpg
WUS F10 Sample 3 19-10-2016.jpg WUS F10 Sample 4 25-10-2016.jpg

WUS F10 Samples Total Views.jpg

But why does this matter? They are Russian watches aren't they?

Well yes, of course but it occured to me that the dominance of Vostok subject matter in the threads on this forum is stifling the other Russian watch brands and possibly resulting in some long standing members drifting away from the forum and taking their experience and knowledge with them. In addition to this, if you come to the forum as a newbie because you are interested in Pobeda or Raketa etc. and all you see is thread after thread of Vostok, you are probably unlikely to engage or to return. The result may then be that Vostok dominates further as only those interested in Vostok engage with the forum and maybe this is already happening.

So over to you guys - discuss.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
The reason is very obvious: Vostok is the only Russian brand left of affordable new mechanical watches (with Luch minor exceptions). There's also Raketa (and even Zlatoust), but they're basically out of the price range of most users on this forum.

All the other collectable Russian watches are NOS, used, or vintage, so the breakdown here seems logical to me. If you head over to the Affordables forum, you will also find very few discussions regarding vintage watches. Most enthusiasts these days are buying new affordable divers, and while Vostok is a niche brand, it pops up in that mainstream discussion quite often.

Kind of sad, because I first started coming to this forum in 2005 and I remember the 3133s were probably the most talked about new watches. As the owner of 10+ 3133s and derivatives, I'd be fine if we split it up into two sub-forums—but it will basically subdivide into vintage collectors vs. Vostok.

I do think the recent resurgence of Vostok is a gift for us, not long ago I fully expected the Russian watch industry to complete it's slow post-Soviet death within just a few years. I think every collector should purchase at least a few new Vostoks. Not only are they great beaters and customizable with interchangeable parts, I feel it's my moral duty in some sense to support the last remnants of the industry.

·
Registered
2,992 Posts
I have also observed the gradual domination of threads on Vostok over the last couple of years. My interest was and remains vintage/Soviet era watches so, sadly, I don't spend as much time here as I once did. Maybe it is time to split the forum into modern and vintage sub-forums.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I wouldn't want to have to go to two separate forums.

New and unread posts are clearly identified and I can tell by the subject if I want to read the post. I don't even think about which watch is being discussed.

I don't see a problem that needs to be solved.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Lets not forget that the prices for vintage pieces increased quite significantly over the years. As a relative new member (2013), I am surprised when reading old threads that back in the day people bought 3133's for less than $100. Right now you have to fork $200- for a decent chrono and dont get me started about Strela's.

I dont see why splitting the already small Russian collectors group will result in an increase of diversity or views for this diversity.
Thanks to the diversity of brands on the Russian forum ive bought some really nice watches that i might not have found otherwise. For example a luch perpetual, чк-28 etc.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I've noticed there is a lot of talk about new Vostoks, which are not my main area of interest, though I do quite like them and wear one for work. I am also sure to buy more, but vintage is what I am here for and collect.
I don't think there is anything to be gained by splitting the forum though. Previous posters have spelt out why this is. If they were reasonably priced I would certainly buy a few modern Raketas and RChZ as I am sure would other forum members, but they aren't. New or old, they are all Russian watches. Well, except for Luch, of course. Keep that stuff on the Belarussian forum.

·
Registered
7,148 Posts
First off, thanks to Sekondtime for this very interesting data. From one nerd to another, I just love this stuff!

Second, if the overwhelming interest in the modern Vostok brand is a "problem" (which I don't think Sekondtime was necessarily suggesting), isn't the solution simple? Post more about Soviet-era watches (Vostok included).

I don't think we need to stifle the trend toward modern, but we can supplement these discussions with more conversations about vintage pieces. The threads won't write themselves.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I honestly don't understand the need these days for everyone to push 'diversity' on us at every opportunity. Not all things in this world are equal. New Vostoks are extremely popular here because they are durable, accurate, affordable, and widely available. Many people want new Vostoks. Buying new Vostoks also supports the company and it's workers. That's a very good thing in my opinion. And besides, in the 'Show Your Komandirskies' thread, at least half of the photos are Soviet-era Komandirskies.

I think making a Soviet-era watch sub-forum would only lessen their popularity and interest in them. They get more exposure being mixed in one Russian watch forum.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
I've noticed there is a lot of talk about new Vostoks, which are not my main area of interest, though I do quite like them and wear one for work. I am also sure to buy more, but vintage is what I am here for and collect.
I don't think there is anything to be gained by splitting the forum though. Previous posters have spelt out why this is. If they were reasonably priced I would certainly buy a few modern Raketas and RChZ as I am sure would other forum members, but they aren't. New or old, they are all Russian watches. Well, except for Luch, of course. Keep that stuff on the Belarussian forum.

Some of the most interesting threads are where a poster compares an old model watch (Vostok) with a new one - comparing the changes over time. Where would this post belong? In which forum?

I don't see that we have an actual problem that needs solving.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I came to f10 only knowing of the existence of Vostoks...and that was because my great grandmother gave me a couple of them that were absolute basket cases when I was a little kid. I owned 1 new Vostok that worked and 2 Soviet era models that didn't

A little over a year later, I have almost 100 Vostoks-new, transition era, and Soviet models: modded beyond recognition and bone stock; 5 3133s; 3 Raketas; a Slava or 2; a CSSR era Prim Sport; and 1 lonely Kirovskie from 1938. I also have a group of mostly faceless and voiceless like-minded nerds that I am proud to call my comrades; whether they want to string me up for modding an almost pristine Soviet blue Scuba Dude or not; whether they are members of the Type 1 clique that snort derision through their aquiline (I'm assuming) noses at my posts or not.

All this is due to the commingling of the different types, personalities and peculiarities of the members of f10. If f10 happened to be split into different factions, I would have never had a chance to increase my madness for the weird little 'hobby' that the love of all watches Eastern Bloc has become to me

Sure, Vostoks make up a huge percentage of this page. But I put that to the fact that a lot of us got into this way too late to be able to acquire 3017s, Cosmos, Signals or Okeahs in decent condition at a decent price. But Vostoks? There are just so MANY of them!!

I also belong to a vintage '60s/'70s Pontiac forum, where 99.9275% of the posts are about GTOs and Firebird/Trans AMs and I'm one of the few that checks everyday to see if anything was posted about Catalinas, 2+2s, or Grand Prixs...it makes it ever so sweeter when something is...

·
Registered
549 Posts
In my opinion, there is no problem that there are so many Vostok threads. I think we would just lose on having two separate forums, as it would be more work to check two different boards rather than one.

The amount of threads created each day is still small enough to fit on one page. If the number of created threads per day would most of the time take more than one page, I think a split might be OK.

Because of my interest in Russian watches, I have for some strange reason got interested also in other Russian things (like vacuum tubes, clothes), Russian culture and language. I have noticed the few offtopic threads appearing from time seem to be quite popular among our members with often several hundreds of views. I think that if we should have a split forum at all, an offtopic sub-forum could be nice to have as then people would dare to ask more offtopic questions. I have created a few offtopic threads and each was created with a certain guilty feeling, hoping nobody gets upset.

·
Mod. Russian, China Mech.
19,188 Posts
I wrote a long post that got lost when the browser choked. Short version:

This question came up many years ago when this was called The Poljot Forum and members were worried that the place was getting diluted with Vostoks. We decided that opening it up to all Russian and Soviet watches (with an inclusive approach to watches made within the Soviet sphere of influence and within former Soviet states) was the best match for the interests of the majority of forum participants. The question is what has changed now.

Points to ponder:

1. Without Vostok, would the remainder of traffic on this forum suffice to maintain enough interest to keep it running?
2. Do members prefer to discuss Vostok in isolation from other Russian and Soviet watches?
3. Should Vostok discussions also be taken out of the Affordables forum?

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have and idea. Let's create an Affirmative Action team that patrols the F10 sub-forum, making sure that no other Russian watch brands are underrepresented or discriminated against by limiting the number of Vostok threads that can be posted. :-d

·
Registered
286 Posts
I wrote a long post that got lost when the browser choked. Short version:

This question came up many years ago when this was called The Poljot Forum and members were worried that the place was getting diluted with Vostoks. We decided that opening it up to all Russian and Soviet watches (with an inclusive approach to watches made within the Soviet sphere of influence and within former Soviet states) was the best match for the interests of the majority of forum participants. The question is what has changed now.

Points to ponder:

1. Without Vostok, would the remainder of traffic on this forum suffice to maintain enough interest to keep it running?
2. Do members prefer to discuss Vostok in isolation from other Russian and Soviet watches?
3. Should Vostok discussions also be taken out of the Affordables forum?
Interesting. I had no idea this used to be called the Poljot forum because that was way before my time here. Love them or hate them, Vostoks basically are the Russian watch industry today. I'm guessing they make up most of the new watch sales. It only makes sense that many of the threads here are related to Vostoks due to their immense popularity. I think separating Russian watches by age or brand would only hurt lesser-known Russian watches in the end.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Had I been the OP, I would have titled this thread "The Poljot / Raketa / Slava / Luch (et al.) Desaturation Phenomena": at the moment, it is contributing to increase the ratio of Vostok vs. other brands-related discussions........... :think:

:-d

·
Registered
9,195 Posts
The only possibility for me to avoid the Vostok saturation phenomena is to try to discuss about the other Russian brands, the problem is that they are either dead or very small.

Let's see:

1) Raketa: we discuss about it a little, but they are too expensive for most of the people writing here.
2) Moscow Classic: I know nothing about them, are they assemblers?
3) Volmax : are they still in business?
4) Luch : my understanding is that they are merely surviving, no new mechanical movements assembled.
5) Elektronika: recent demise
6) Zlat: my understanding is that they only make one watch
7) Molnija: we discussed about it in the Watch.ru project, still have some NOX movements

Also, one of the reasons of the Vostok success is that Meranom is among us, they make new watches, they take our feedback, perhaps it would be interesting to see if we can spark the interest on Raketa, Volmax or Moscow Classic if we can get a representative onboard and perhaps order a WUS limited Edition for us.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts