WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 290 Posts

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just stumbled upon the Watch Steward straps on IG https://www.instagram.com/thewatchsteward/
They look similar to Erikas MN strap material (elastic nylon) and they are $25 each!!!
I have 3 of Erika's straps and they are amazing but expensive.
About time that she is getting some competition, hopefully it forces her to drop the price down some.
The straps are available in 22mm only (for now hopefully).
All my watches are 20mm so I will be following the brand and hopefully they get 20mm soon.
Here is the site The Watch Steward - Home
I am in no way associated with the site or seller.
Some pics from their site:

all-strap-colors_orig.jpg

blue-colors-1_orig.jpg

brown-colors-1_orig.jpg

oh-sandy-3_orig.jpg

steal-blue-3_orig.jpg

van-dyke-brown-3_orig.jpg

·
Registered
353 Posts
Looks promising. I think I would like them a bit more without the writing on the buckle or maybe just a bit smaller.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
I wonder about intellectual property here. I thought I read that Erika patented her design, but I could be wrong....

Actually, after typing that, I looked more closely. This design is quite different (inferior IMHO) as it is not a continuous loop like Erika's. Instead, they are more like a nato strap with an Erika's-style clasp. It more of a mash-up than a MN strap. Not bad for the price, perhaps. But I will stick with the Original.

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
Actually, after typing that, I looked more closely. This design is quite different (inferior IMHO) as it is not a continuous loop like Erika's. Instead, they are more like a nato strap with an Erika's-style clasp. It more of a mash-up than a MN strap. Not bad for the price, perhaps. But I will stick with the Original.
Design looks very similar to me. I don't think it's NATO-like in that there's no doubling-up of material under the watch head. The slider hardware pictured simply appears to be how you shorten/lengthen the strap. Am I missing something?

IMO, the Erika's straps are overpriced so I think I'm gonna give one of these a try. Seems well suited to my SRP777.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Design looks very similar to me. I don't think it's NATO-like in that there's no doubling-up of material under the watch head. The slider hardware pictured simply appears to be how you shorten/lengthen the strap. Am I missing something?
Yes, they look similar. But functionally, the EO is one continuous loop whose fit only is adjusted by the hardware. This mirrors (and improved on) the original Marine Nationale straps which were a sewn loop. This design is particularly secure in that even with a (albeit very rare) clasp failure it stay on the wrist.

The Watch Steward strap is a flat/open strap (i.e., not a loop) that is both adjusted and closed by the hardware. It is this difference that makes EO a MN-type strap, and these something else – a mashup of the MN and the nato.

In no way am I trashing these (as I have never tried them). But objectively, while they use the same type of material as EO MN straps, they are a fundamentally different design.

If interested, see what I mean by the "continuous loop" in this video:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Yes, they look similar. But functionally, the EO is one continuous loop whose fit only is adjusted by the hardware. This mirrors (and improved on) the original Marine Nationale straps which were a sewn loop. This design is particularly secure in that even with a (albeit very rare) clasp failure it stay on the wrist.

The Watch Steward strap is a flat/open strap (i.e., not a loop) that is both adjusted and closed by the hardware. It is this difference that makes EO a MN-type strap, and these something else – a mashup of the MN and the nato.

In no way am I trashing these (as I have never tried them). But objectively, while they use the same type of material as EO MN straps, they are a fundamentally different design.

If interested, see what I mean by the "continuous loop" in this video:
What are you basing that on? The first picture posted here? I dont think it's very clear either way, but they certainly look to work the same way as the MN straps to me.

Edit: I looked at the site more and its pretty amazing that they don't have any pics on the wrist. It looks almost like a two piece NATO in that it doesn't go under the watch head at all, but connects to the spring bars. Still seems really strange to me that they would only stay closed by that metal hook type thing. Doesn't seem very secure at all.

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
I'd watch the video to clarify but I’m not the biggest fan of that channel.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
What are you basing that on? The first picture posted here? I dont think it's very clear either way, but they certainly look to work the same way as the MN straps to me.

Edit: I looked at the site more and its pretty amazing that they don't have any pics on the wrist. It looks almost like a two piece NATO in that it doesn't go under the watch head at all, but connects to the spring bars. Still seems really strange to me that they would only stay closed by that metal hook type thing. Doesn't seem very secure at all.
To me, this picture (from their web site) makes it clear that the "hook" is, indeed, all that closes the strap:

s424574569608439584_p7_i5_w640.jpeg

But I am happy to be corrected.

·
Premium Member
4,243 Posts
I ordered one and will post my findings when it arrives.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I ordered one and will post my findings when it arrives.
Cant wait to hear your thoughts. I would have ordered one too if they had 20mm. Would love to find a cheaper alternative to the Erikas MN strap, does not have to be the same design as long as it is the same material. I do hope that it works out well for you. Looking at the picture, the strap could potentially be adjusted so the watch mounts between the hook and the keeper to the right then you slide the wrist through the loop and hook it the same way the picture shows. Its tough to imagine it without having the strap in hand but I think it could be done.
But even if used the way its shown where the hook latches on, as long as the strap is not lose the hook should be secure.
I modified ndc strap into one piece and had it latch in the same way and it is secure, as long as the strap is fitted tight but that is how i wear my watches anyway.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Ordered yesterday. I've been wanting to try one of the EO straps but at triple the price of these, ummm..........no. Either it will be great or just, meh. Functionally it's the same material you'd be receiving from either place and you can reconfigure the strap to work the same way as the EO straps if that's what you want. If I end up taking it apart to change the configuration of the strap I think I'll take the writing off the buckle and flame anodize it.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I ordered one last night. I have a MN strap already, but not an Erika's. These look similar in design to the one I have.

Sent from my Commodore 64

Reactions: Hose A

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
Interesting alternative. Maybe I'll keep my currently for sale SKX just to try one of these straps in 22mm. Kind of digging the Raw Denim (aka dark blue) version.

Reactions: Hose A

·
Banned
873 Posts
Very intrigued, I've held off on Erika's because of the price. The branding on the buckle is pretty lame though, wonder if it can be brushed off...

Please keep this thread updated with your findings - I'm looking for a 22mm strap for my inbound SKX009.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Owning two of Erica's straps and seeing the stew-ard ones it seems that where the double part is is where the watch head goes and attaches the same way as Erika's does. then with the single hook it's wrapped around the wrist and hooked onto the other clip. Adjustments are made with the clip at the end of the double portion of the strap. The only drawback, to me, is that if the hook accidentally separates from the clip, the watch falls off. With Erika's the hand is placed between two pieces and if the clip comes undone the watch won't fall off your wrist. This alone, for me, is worth the exert for insurances sake. If you like Erika's I would suggest saving and then ordering one made to your liking, then stop complaining about the cost. They look better constructed and are worth the price.....Thank you for the rant.

To me, this picture (from their web site) makes it clear that the "hook" is, indeed, all that closes the strap:

View attachment 13375527

But I am happy to be corrected.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Connected with the owner of the The Watch Steward Straps today and he is very response and I wish him much success in his new business . He said by email to me he will have a short video explaining how his straps work soon. "I designed these straps so that the strap doesn’t go between your wrist and the watch head I find it more comfortable, especially on larger watches when it isn’t elevated on top of 1–2 layers of fabric."

1 - 20 of 290 Posts