WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My Grandfathers Cyma.

I found this watch several months ago, and decided to take it to a watchmaker for repair.

This was the start of my vintage obsession. The watch guy was really good, informative and helpful.
He told me what i needed in order to get the watch repaired, (cheaper if i sought the parts myself)

It was the research and searching that got me interested in watches.

Anyway after many months of looking, and many vintage watches later, i have finally found the donor watch.

Now i can get the ball rolling on the restoration.

P2076703.jpg P2076705.jpg P2076707.jpg P2076708.jpg

The watch guy removed the cyrstal and the dial was in beautiful condition, and shows a slight pizza slice design that is just noticeable in the last photo.

The inscribtion tells me this was most likley a Xmas gift to my grand dad when he was in his early 20's

This is the donor movement i sourced for parts.
s-l1600 (36).jpg

·
Registered
224 Posts
What a wonderful looking piece! My story on how I got started recently parallels yours, although I had to find a stand-in for my grandfather's watch, which I never saw in the flesh.

All my best to you and the restoration project. Looking forward to seeing your restored heirloom!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just picked up Grandads watch. Very happy with how it turned out. Really happy with the service and price from my watch maker. New crown, new cyrstal, fixed and serviced, and included the strap all for $150.

Just need to find a nice leather open end watch strap.

20170419_140434.jpg 20170419_140445.jpg 20170419_140458.jpg 20170419_140528.jpg 20170419_140710.jpg

Something i will cherish for a long time, and pass onto one of my kids, or maybe grankids by the time im ready to let it go.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Fantastic watch!! Love the dial! The only thing I don't like is the strap...... What happened to the leather one? A little cleaning and polish and that one might work? $150 is a great price as well.

Oh and also you do know that is Radium on the dial? Completely safe but still radioactive (don't inhale it)! Interesting stuff.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Spartcom, thanks.
I did consider the original strap, but it was very fragile, almost like cardboard in places, plus it was too small.

I did keep the buckle, and may get the otherhalf to sew/attach it onto a suitable new strap.

The watchmaker didnt have any open end straps in his store.

Yes i know about the radium, i also have a few trench watches with the original radium.
I like the way it has stayed in good shape in the hands on this watch.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Hi ForSam,

Great that you could get this important family piece up and running.Reminded me of a watch very similar to yours from another of your grandfathers generation.

Sir Charles Edward Kingsford Smith MC, AFC (9 February 1897 � 8 November 1935), often called by his nickname Smithy, was an early Australian aviator. In 1928, he earned global fame when he made the first trans-Pacific flight from the United States to Australia. He also made the first non-stop crossing of the Australian mainland, the first flights between Australia and New Zealand, and the first eastward Pacific crossing from Australia to the United States. He also made a flight from Australia to London, setting a new record of 10.5 days. source: Wikipedia

And here is some vintage footage of Smithy detailing his flights and some of his words once landed.

And here is the watch Smithy used for two important flights. The first Transpacific flight from the US to Australia and his record breaking flight from England to Australia. A Cyma 15 jewel silver cushion watch. circa late 20's.

And here is a link from the Queensland Museum that offers further details on his watch.

Search Results - Queensland Museum

Certainly your grandfather would have been aware of Smithy but I wonder if he knew he had a near identical watch.

Regards,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts