WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just sitting here thinking about the watches I've owned and then sold since joining WUS... here's a list:

Hamilton Khaki Officer Auto - This was the yellowish-vintagish dial, which looked really cool in the box, but didn't really work with anything on the wrist. Really nice watch though.

Steinhart Marine Chronometer II(Arabic) - This is a great watch, but I think there are better examples of "deck" watches out there... and I was rolling the money into the next big thing.

Steinhart Ocean 2 - I ordered this baby as soon as it became available for sale, but it came without the bracelet. When the bracelet finally arrived I was disappointed with the bracelet itself, and there were some quality control issues in the lugs that made putting the bracelet on exceptionally difficult.

Dievas Focal - I think I just got bored with this big bad bruiser. I thought that a scratchproof watch was something I needed, and it turns out I'm ok with scratches, especially on tool watches.

Bremont Alt1-Z - I really liked this watch, it just wasn't getting enough wrist time, and I felt I needed to make some tough decisions to reduce my collection so I could wear and enjoy fewer watches. Plus this money is going to a future purchase that I think will fill a hole in what I have now.

Ball Fireman Racer Classic - While the dial was beautiful, I felt like the case was just a little too raw in terms of finishing for me. I also have this weird thing about flat crystals.

Breitling SuperOcean 44 - At the end of the day this was just a generic diver, and there are so many interesting divers out there from micro companies for so much less.

Seiko SSC081 - Turns out I'm not a fan of compass bezels... and especially not a fan of internal bezels that drift.

Seiko SGEE89P1 - Simple, boring, quartz. Next.

Oris Aquis Date (Blue) - my dear friend Bacari pointed out to me that it was the perfect Dallas Cowboys blue... As a die-hard Redskins fan that was a problem.

Ebel 1911 BTR GMT - I didn't like that it had a Chronograph look with pushers that didn't operate a Chronograph.

Orient Vintage Power Reserve FFD0F002B - too small

Magrette Regattare Tiki (Black) - too similar to my Magrette Moana Pacific Pro, and not quite as nice.

Shinola Brakeman 46mm - This dial just felt low quality to me. The markers were uninspired, the texture of the dial itself could have been cardboard... just not impressed at all. Too bad because the case itself was very nice.

Prometheus Sailfish - Those arabic numerals just felt clunky... would have been much nicer with markers and less numbers.

DeepBlue Fleet Admiral - Way too big for it's style.. and the way the date window cut into the dial just ouch.

Crazy, when I think about it... but I do feel I'm finally zeroing in on a collection that I'm really really happy with.

Fun times!

Reactions: Mark355 and ljb187

·
Moderator Public Forum
2,876 Posts
Wow. I miss the Oris, the Shinola, and the Ebel. That's just me. You have a great collection Max my friend and I have a sneaking suspicion it will be getting even better soon!

Reactions: Doboji

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Ha! You've sold more than I have!!!!

Ive sold 4 now.

Citizen BL5250
Lum Tec M40
Seiko Alpinist
Stowa Flieger

I am not zeroing in on anything.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Check my Sig, and then add about 15 more. I've flipped too many watches. However, I think that flipping is part of the hobby, because trying something on in an AD, or looking at pictures online does not tell you what its like to live with the piece. How comfortably it wears, the daily weight, if the bracelet is too wide, etc.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
...I do feel I'm finally zeroing in on a collection that I'm really really happy with.
I'm in the same boat as you:

Hamilton Khaki Navy Frogman (Hated the way the date window was executed)
Oris Artelier Date (To big for a dressier watch, maybe not distinct enough)
Mido Pulsometer (Great looking vintage-y dial, but it was printed and that made it look flat)
Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (Stamped dial took the richness out of the guilloche-like patterns)
Tag Heuer Aquaracer (A little too Sub-like for me...I really liked this watch though)
EOT Model 22 Deck Watch (24mm lug width)
Oris Divers Titan Date (I had two of the same watch)
Omega Speedmaster Professional (Too big, too flat, it overwhelmed my wrist and didn't sit comfortably)

That's it - in order so far - but I'm guessing I'll drop another dozen or so. It hurts a little because I really like some of what I've sold and what I'm planning to sell...you can't keep everything and it's like you said, now that I have a better idea what I want to do I can proceed with a more certainty going forward.

Doboji: If you feel like it and have the time, could you elaborate on the reasons for some of the decisions you made?

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I've given away a couple to my brother and son but never sold any.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I haven't sold any, but I gave two vintage watches to a friend of mine. No regrets.

I keeping saying that my DJ is on the chopping block, but I haven't done anything yet.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm in the same boat as you:

Hamilton Khaki Navy Frogman (Hated the way the date window was executed)
Oris Artelier Date (To big for a dressier watch, maybe not distinct enough)
Mido Pulsometer (Great looking vintage-y dial, but it was printed and that made it look flat)
Oris Big Crown Pointer Date (Stamped dial took the richness out of the guilloche-like patterns)
Tag Heuer Aquaracer (A little too Sub-like for me...I really liked this watch though)
EOT Model 22 Deck Watch (24mm lug width)
Oris Divers Titan Date (I had two of the same watch)
Omega Speedmaster Professional (Too big, too flat, it overwhelmed my wrist and didn't sit comfortably)

That's it - in order so far - but I'm guessing I'll drop another dozen or so. It hurts a little because I really like some of what I've sold and what I'm planning to sell...you can't keep everything and it's like you said, now that I have a better idea what I want to do I can proceed with a more certainty going forward.

Doboji: If you feel like it and have the time, could you elaborate on the reasons for some of the decisions you made?

I will indeed do that once I have some time this evening...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ljb187

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I have sold the majority of my more expensive pieces (see my signature)…..and certainly my humble collection now is worth a third as much as it was, but my priorities in life changed a couple of years ago and I am in the process of reducing my collection down either further! I do not foresee every purchasing a watch of the value I had in the past.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Sold these in the last 3 years

Gone but not forgotten...
VC Overseas
UN Marine Chronometer 43mm
UN Diver Blue Surf
IWC Ingenieur
IWC Port 3714-45
Chopard LUC Sport
Grand Seiko SBGE001
Sinn EZM3
Sinn 104
Sinn 857
Sinn 656L
Sinn 556i
Damasko DA37
Omega SMP Ceramic
Omega Chocolate Speedy
Tag Aquaracer Chrono
LumTec B8
Halios BlueRing
Prim Igen Sport

Thats all I can remember off the top of my head...

·
Registered
533 Posts
Archimede Pilot 39mm - I adored this watch and I definitely miss it a bit. However, I am extremely picky about size and I found it wore just a hair too large for my tastes. This was replaced by my Sinn 556, which will not be flipped anytime soon.

Orient Ray - My first mechanical. Again, it was simply a size thing. I gave this watch to my dad and he wears it almost every day. He is not a "watch guy" but he said it felt cool to have a mechanical like his dad used to have :)

I haven't sold any, but I gave two vintage watches to a friend of mine.
You have only parted with 2 pieces? After seeing your post about your 2013 acquisitions, I am curious to know how large your collection is in total. I apologize if you have already covered this.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
I've flipped a lot. Might take me a while to make the list.
Some happy to go and some I have regrets : (
I can only keep 3 at a time. Minimalist.
So when I get the urge to consume, one has to go.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Citizen BJ2004-08E, Luminox 3081 B.O., Helson Shark Diver 45mm, Boschett Cave Dweller, Deep Blue Master Diver

·
Registered
29,181 Posts
Sorry, but I don't have time to make my list, because I lost count about two years ago......

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Too numerous to count. I spend a lot of time flipping watches since I like a steady stream of new watches. Sticking to affordables and f29 keeps me from losing money on frist owner depreciation.

Selling a watch would be like selling a child.
Exactly. The more you have the easier it is to thin the herd.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
You have only parted with 2 pieces? After seeing your post about your 2013 acquisitions, I am curious to know how large your collection is in total. I apologize if you have already covered this.
I think it's ~29 + a few that I don't wear or consider part of my collection. 2013 definitely wasn't a normal year.

·
Premium Member
2,180 Posts
Seiko SNZF29 - Too small for a diver.
Seiko SNZF17 - Perfect size, but fell out of favor once I began dabbling in SKX series divers.
Hamilton Jazzmaster Day-Date - Too large for a dress piece and unreadable without AR.
Seiko SNE049 - Lovely, but didn't get enough wrist time. Felt the lugs were too wide for a 37mm.
Vintage Vostok - Charming piece, but gold-tone isn't for me.
Oris Classic Complication Moonphase - Currently for sale in /f29 to fund a SMP.

·
Registered
9,627 Posts
Only watch I have sold to date is a Steinhart OVM Red, gave away a Bulova Marine Star & a late model Lucien Picard as part of a WUS giveaway thread.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts