WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright gents, so I have the most perplexing thing happening with my Seiko Black Monster. Over the last month and a half I have been testing its accuracy and something I have noticed in the last 4 weeks is that whenever I set the watch exactly on time it will lose 3 seconds over 24 hours. BUT, then after the first 24 hours it will no longer gain or lose anymore time. Essentially my watch is always 3 seconds behind. I reset is approximatly every 4 or 5 days now and it has happened over and over. Im not complaining because despite how bizzare this is, it is still exceptional accuracy for a 7S26. But maybe some of you more experienced guys can shed some light on the situation.

Cheers,

Eric:-!:-!

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Alright gents, so I have the most perplexing thing happening with my Seiko Black Monster. Over the last month and a half I have been testing its accuracy and something I have noticed in the last 4 weeks is that whenever I set the watch exactly on time it will lose 3 seconds over 24 hours. BUT, then after the first 24 hours it will no longer gain or lose anymore time. Essentially my watch is always 3 seconds behind. I reset is approximatly every 4 or 5 days now and it has happened over and over. Im not complaining because despite how bizzare this is, it is still exceptional accuracy for a 7S26. But maybe some of you more experienced guys can shed some light on the situation.

Cheers,

Eric:-!:-!
Why do you reset it every 4 or 5 days if it is not gaining or losing any time at that point?

It would be valuable to see how it keeps time if you do not continue to reset it.

HTH

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I reset is because I do not want it to stay at 3 seconds behind. I want it to be reset and then since it has demonstrated that it can go long periods without losing time, then stay at the time I set it at. I suppose I could set it 3 seconds ahead?

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
I reset is because I do not want it to stay at 3 seconds behind. I want it to be reset and then since it has demonstrated that it can go long periods without losing time, then stay at the time I set it at. I suppose I could set it 3 seconds ahead?
Sounds like a plan. ;-)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Your watch loses 3 seconds while it is getting fully wound. Once fully wound, it is a perfect time keeper... Congrats.

If you're worried about being -3 seconds total for time, I kind of question how useful automatic watches are in your rotation....

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
My Orange monster does the same when winding up and then keeps time around +2 seconds a week. Watches tend to be most accurate or at least most stable when fully wound.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your watch loses 3 seconds while it is getting fully wound. Once fully wound, it is a perfect time keeper... Congrats.

If you're worried about being -3 seconds total for time, I kind of question how useful automatic watches are in your rotation....
Im not worried at all. I am thrilled. Im just not an expert on automatics and thought it was strange that is would lose time consistently then stop. -3 seconds for any seiko with a 7s26 is amazing.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My Orange monster does the same when winding up and then keeps time around +2 seconds a week. Watches tend to be most accurate or at least most stable when fully wound.
Why is that? can you explain this any more?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Why is that? can you explain this any more?
Well, picture the mainspring. When it is fully wound, much like any spring that is fully recoiled, it's able to give off its maximum amount of energy. When that spring is 1/2 or 1/4 recoiled it has less stored energy. You have an escapement which regulates that energy. The escapements are designed to work best in the state the watch will be in the most amount of time... a fully wound state. So when the spring isn't fully wound, it is a bit robbed of power which can lead to a slowing down of the escapement, it can also lead to much more positional variations as well.

·
Premium Member
7,676 Posts
Well, picture the mainspring. When it is fully wound, much like any spring that is fully recoiled, it's able to give off its maximum amount of energy. When that spring is 1/2 or 1/4 recoiled it has less stored energy. You have an escapement which regulates that energy. The escapements are designed to work best in the state the watch will be in the most amount of time... a fully wound state. So when the spring isn't fully wound, it is a bit robbed of power which can lead to a slowing down of the escapement, it can also lead to much more positional variations as well.
You've almost got it, but ... the 7S26 movement runs faster when it is only partially wound ;-)

HTH

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
okay. so as a daily wearer it would keep better time than a watch i would wear occasionally then? that makes sense. I wear is everyday and the loss in time always occurs over night. so while the spring is winding down is when this is happening! makes sense now. Except Gaijin is saying it should be runnign fast then... so now im confused hahaha

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
okay. so as a daily wearer it would keep better time than a watch i would wear occasionally then? that makes sense. I wear is everyday and the loss in time always occurs over night. so while the spring is winding down is when this is happening! makes sense now. Except Gaijin is saying it should be runnign fast then... so now im confused hahaha
Sometimes a mainspring robbed of energy will slow the movement down, sometimes it will speed it up.

If your watch is slowing down overnight, it is likely due more to positional variation than to mainspring state of charge.

Do you wear your watch while sleeping? If not try placing it on your nightstand with the dial facing towards your ceiling. Typically this position speeds up the movement the most, while placing it with the crown towards the ceiling will slow it down the most.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sometimes a mainspring robbed of energy will slow the movement down, sometimes it will speed it up.

If your watch is slowing down overnight, it is likely due more to positional variation than to mainspring state of charge.

Do you wear your watch while sleeping? If not try placing it on your nightstand with the dial facing towards your ceiling. Typically this position speeds up the movement the most, while placing it with the crown towards the ceiling will slow it down the most.
I always sleep with it off. and I always leave it face up on my stand.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
You've almost got it, but ... the 7S26 movement runs faster when it is only partially wound ;-)

that's my experience too. I was baffled at first when overnight it gained 30 seconds, maybe 3 times a year, and then go months dead on +/-. Bascially it goes haywire fast when nearly unwound. It's a movement (7S26) where a power reserve gauge would be very useful to make sure it stays wound within its sweet spot.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's my experience too. I was baffled at first when overnight it gained 30 seconds, maybe 3 times a year, and then go months dead on +/-. Bascially it goes haywire fast when nearly unwound. It's a movement (7S26) where a power reserve gauge would be very useful to make sure it stays wound within its sweet spot.
atleast i know im not the ony one whose 7s26 does wierd stuff haha.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
atleast i know im not the ony one whose 7s26 does wierd stuff haha.

"weird" sounds like more fun than what it is: isochronism, which is when the state of wind affects the timekeeping. A good Swiss movement will have been adjusted for it, just like it's adjusted for temp. and positional variation. And it's certainly not just Seiko that has isochronism, but pretty much any unadjusted movement which you find in <$300 (more or less) new watches. (Although I did find the +30 sec. jump overnight pretty unusual.)

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"weird" sounds like more fun than what it is: isochronism, which is when the state of wind affects the timekeeping. A good Swiss movement will have been adjusted for it, just like it's adjusted for temp. and positional variation. And it's certainly not just Seiko that has isochronism, but pretty much any unadjusted movement which you find in <$300 (more or less) new watches. (Although I did find the +30 sec. jump overnight pretty unusual.)
Well dang! im just learning new stuff on here all the time! as for the gaining thirty seconds over night, that is strange. I read somewhere about something getting caught in the movement that could cause that and you are supposed to give it a sharp (but not hard) knock on a table or something to fix that. although sometimes it just fixes itself.

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
Well dang! im just learning new stuff on here all the time! as for the gaining thirty seconds over night, that is strange. I read somewhere about something getting caught in the movement that could cause that and you are supposed to give it a sharp (but not hard) knock on a table or something to fix that. although sometimes it just fixes itself.
I've read the sharp knock thing too, but I think that's when the 7s26 is running very fast out of the box (although it's interesting that out of the box would be when the mainspring is unwound:think:).

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've read the sharp knock thing too, but I think that's when the 7s26 is running very fast out of the box (although it's interesting that out of the box would be when the mainspring is unwound:think:).
The Plot Thickens! haha. Hmm. Is it possible that in daily wear the adjustment screw can move? Or maybe for yours it was a case of Resting position at night?

·
Registered
9,059 Posts
The Plot Thickens! haha. Hmm. Is it possible that in daily wear the adjustment screw can move? Or maybe for yours it was a case of Resting position at night?
nah, I'm sure it's isochronism.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts