WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The wittnauer I just bought a " 50's Wittnauer automatic".

8K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  watch origins 
#1 · (Edited)
#2 ·
I don't know a lot about Wittnauer but I'll take a stab a why it was cheap. The first thing is it's a redial and the second is the diamond, unless a watch is clearly in the luxury bracket diamonds (or any similar crystal) tend to detract from the desirability of a watch. Better automatic watches in the 50's often had 25 to 30 jewels despite punitive tariffs. You will probably find that you have a good solid pedestrian quality watch.

#7 ·
Hi watch origins,

I am querulous why it was so cheep.
I'm not. These container cases realize the best protection of movement and dial, an it is no
wonder that the average condition of dials and movements in such watches is better than
all the rest. If now a redial was necessary (although fairly made), what can you expect from
the movement.

Moreover the corrosion of the (stainless!) steel on the back side indicates that the watch
wasn't worn under really friendly conditions. If sweat and a teared crystal hurts the dial,
you can paint it, but what do you do with a rusty movment? Yes, you hide it behind the dial.

What I wanted to point out: Gamling is cheaper than buying. You may be lucky, and nothing
of the afore mentioned applies - than it was a great deal and you should thank god. But I
suspect it wasn't, and as the price demonstrates, other bidders were also not that sure.

My general advice: Pay for what you see, and if there is no movement pic, actually this can
happen (even after some 30 years experience):
Ranfft Watches, Troubles

Regards, Roland Ranfft

#8 · (Edited)
in general Wittinaur prices have risen in proportion to (but slightly behind except for a few desirous models) Longines. It was already stated why this particualr Wit may not have gone for too much but you can still find a few wittinaur bargians around if you do your due diligence. I found this for $56 about a 2 years ago and the suprise was the case is 14k. {I even toyed with the idea of informing the seller-a well known ebay watch seller-of the oversight but my morals were hiding in the wastebasket that night} But I won it for the missy as a kind of companion piece for my black connie. she loves the thing even though she's afraid to wear it too much (no clue?) Anyway-its nice to find such a pristine black enamel dial form the late 50s in original shape

connie

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.