WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2 Wohler automatics I ordered last week from Alwaysatmarket/ShopAtHome came in today. :-s

This is just to give you guys a heads up on the nice, but elusive folks out in Carrolton, Texas. If you try to contact them by phone, be prepared to wait, and then not get anybody. They do however give prompt responses to e-mails, even if it's a plug in form letter without your name.

The old saying in the graduate Philosophy stall that says:
"Genghis Khan, but Immanuel Kant" , should be changed to Wohler Can't.
The Wohler Kant model, other than the round bezel, leather strap, and basic functions, looks very little like the picture on the wohlerwatches.com website. The flat brown surface color has little ridges, and the pewter silver color, and silver hour/minute hand are not easy to read.

The white stitch, on chocolate strap, is fine at this price range. My biggest complaint, other than the cheap look, is the sharp edges. If one of my nieces cut themselves on the case, I would be guilty as charged. The movement works OK for the first 24 hours.

The other concern I have is the basic misrepresentation of the watch, where it's made, and by whom. It is inferred to be Swiss made, with Swiss parts, and the website page is stunning.

The best I can tell, based on what you guys have said, and finally getting through to the Service Mgr. is that:
1. The movement is Chinese. Nothing wrong with that. But not what you would be led to believe based on the web page.
2. Made in Taiwan/Thailand.
3. The return policy says that "Returns will not be accepted unless the product is defective upon receipt."
4. There is no Swiss Le Bonhomme Group from Geneva, or their US marketing head Peter Leatch, that has anything to do with this company, whose CEO is a Mr. House.
5. The service mgr. was puzzled about the above representation, and indicated that the folks that do the marketing just come up with all these stories, to sell their product. Hmmmm.......:think:
6. I like the quick release on the Paulson clasp, and overall think it comes, closer, but not close, to the picture on the web page.

In conclusion, the Kant, and Paulson models of Wohler/[email protected], may be, or might be decent time pieces in terms of reliability, and accuracy. But in the first 24 hours, they have been a vast disappointment. The old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it most likely is", applies here 100%. Based on my limited knowledge of watches, I would guess these would be OK if they were 50 to 95 range, but they are nothing like what they are purported to be.<|

·
Registered
140 Posts
Great info Silver!! I have to admit that I've been tempted by a few of these I've seen on the Bay, still might pull the trigger on a really-really good deal (read cheap!). I'd like to see some real world pics when you have time...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah cycle. If you can get the SUG Titanium with red dial auto, for under 50, jump on it. Just don't go for those 4995 MSRP's. Under 100/preferably under 75, if you really like it fine.

But seriously, if you are around small kids, don't wear these watches. They will cut you, or worse, them.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
How much did you pay? I have never paid more than $60 for my two Wholer watches and they do just fine as far as time and were worth $60. They get very little wrist time as they are smaller watches but the finish on mine are really nice. One came with a bracelet which seemed nice but I dont do bracelets so I switched to a strap and the other strap seemed fine. I have not had a problem with the TX group, even returning a watch. I have also had good luck with almost all of the watches I have gotten from them-but I was not expecting an Omega and I knew what I was buying. I would contact CS and talk to someone, if not you obviously charged it, so get your CC comapny involved. Good luck!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ronsetoe. I'm glad you are having good luck with your Wohlers. I'm just posting this so that other posters on the board who may not be watch experts, or just simply not familiar with the brand, could have a better idea what to expect, and more knowledge as to the brands value.

I paid 94 for the Kant, and 137 for the Paulson. If I could have gotten the Paulson for 50 to 60, then I would have been very happy. But the Kant is not worth even that. My Lucien Piccard, while not a great watch, is a much better fit and finish, and overall quality. I paid 99 for it. These guys also market Doboule, SUG, Rousseau, and Louis Bolle, among others. These watches are also carried on U-Bid, ebay, Amazon, and possibly other sites.

I'm very happy with my Seiko's, Rolex, Casio, and Movado SE chrono, not only because they have been good watches, but also, because I knew what to expect. With the Wohler's, I didn't.

I would like to have posted a picture, but I don't have a digital camera.

Any recommendations.?:) I would prefer to spend less than 100, but for a significant difference could go a bit more.

·
Registered
13,407 Posts
A shame they're not what you expected ss.
Thanks for sharing though!

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I have quite a few watches from those brands and most where worth what I paid. I have never gone over $100 for any of their brands. I will say the better feeling pieces that I have from them are the Louis Bolle, Bernoulli and Rousseau brand. The wholers did feel a bit light. Ubid is a great place to snag them I have gotten many for under $40 there. There is also 2 bay sellers that are very reasonable with their BIN prices brettsdad and dandy35. They often run sales where you can get them for $50-$60. Their MSRP is very misleading and I am glad I read up on them before I started purchasing their pieces.
I would still try and return them if you are un happy. good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
The 2 Wohler automatics I ordered last week from Alwaysatmarket/ShopAtHome came in today. :-s

This is just to give you guys a heads up on the nice, but elusive folks out in Carrolton, Texas. If you try to contact them by phone, be prepared to wait, and then not get anybody. They do however give prompt responses to e-mails, even if it's a plug in form letter without your name.

The old saying in the graduate Philosophy stall that says:
"Genghis Khan, but Immanuel Kant" , should be changed to Wohler Can't.
The Wohler Kant model, other than the round bezel, leather strap, and basic functions, looks very little like the picture on the wohlerwatches.com website. The flat brown surface color has little ridges, and the pewter silver color, and silver hour/minute hand are not easy to read.

The white stitch, on chocolate strap, is fine at this price range. My biggest complaint, other than the cheap look, is the sharp edges. If one of my nieces cut themselves on the case, I would be guilty as charged. The movement works OK for the first 24 hours.

The other concern I have is the basic misrepresentation of the watch, where it's made, and by whom. It is inferred to be Swiss made, with Swiss parts, and the website page is stunning.

The best I can tell, based on what you guys have said, and finally getting through to the Service Mgr. is that:
1. The movement is Chinese. Nothing wrong with that. But not what you would be led to believe based on the web page.
2. Made in Taiwan/Thailand.
3. The return policy says that "Returns will not be accepted unless the product is defective upon receipt."
4. There is no Swiss Le Bonhomme Group from Geneva, or their US marketing head Peter Leatch, that has anything to do with this company, whose CEO is a Mr. House.
5. The service mgr. was puzzled about the above representation, and indicated that the folks that do the marketing just come up with all these stories, to sell their product. Hmmmm.......:think:
6. I like the quick release on the Paulson clasp, and overall think it comes, closer, but not close, to the picture on the web page.

In conclusion, the Kant, and Paulson models of Wohler/[email protected], may be, or might be decent time pieces in terms of reliability, and accuracy. But in the first 24 hours, they have been a vast disappointment. The old saying, "If it sounds too good to be true, then it most likely is", applies here 100%. Based on my limited knowledge of watches, I would guess these would be OK if they were 50 to 95 range, but they are nothing like what they are purported to be.<|
I bought a wohler from ebay and found it to be quite a lot thicker than the photo suggests. It would be nice if they sold these watches in stores so you could see what they really look like. Some of them might actually be nice but this one was a disappointment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts