WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I bought this one last summer in Miami. I was kind of excited about it and after I let it sit for a month, I started wearing it. One day, I put it down on the counter and wore something else the next day. That next evening it was 3 minutes slow. I thought I must have set it wrong. Didn't think anything of it. A month later wearing it again and I could swear I saw the minute hand drop back several minutes. Again, I thought I must have hit the crown or something. I put it in the watch box and rotated other watches for months. Two days ago I was wearing it, I took it off and came back a few hours later and the dam thing was two minutes slow. I hand wound it up even though I had just put it down 2-3 hours earlier and the next morning it was stopped. I picked it up this morning and I wound it up and it would not start. I gave it several shakes and it started moving finally. But it won't run for more than a few hours. This thing is truly a piece of junk.

So you wonder what the watch is, well it is the Swatch Sistem51. My trusty 10 year old Invicta 8926 is a much better watch, as is my timex and my orient mako. This watch is terrible. It even feels like a cheap piece of junk.

·
Registered
15,615 Posts
I was interested in getting one...then I realised I could get a far better watch for that kind of money.
e.g. Orient Bambino, any number of Seiko5 watches, Seagull, and a bag full of Bagelsport

Reactions: Stellite

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was interested in getting one...then I realised I could get a far better watch for that kind of money.
e.g. Orient Bambino, any number of Seiko5 watches, Seagull, and a bag full of Bagelsport
My bagelsport gave up the ghost long ago and I got it at about the same time. So did my Soki. But both are a lot cheaper than the swatch.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
Get it exchanged for a working one at swatch... It does have a 2 year warranty...
Yeah. For all the hype surrounding the new movement, it's still a Swatch -- I doubt quality control is a high priority. Just get it replaced and hope for better on the next one.

I admit that I've never seen the appeal of Sistem51. It's not like good mechanical watches in that price range are hard to find. If I found the actual watches more attractive I could certainly be tempted, but they don't do much for me.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Amount of your negative criticism of this watch is just silly. you could have done a research before you buy one? If not... Serve you bloody right. If so.. have you consider a thought this watch could be faulty from the start? Don't expect every watch they make to be perfect from out of the workshop. Defects watches do happen. This is why we have warranty exist for a reason.

Shame. nice dial though.

EDIT

I done the research. Most review of this watch is positive but I must say that escape wheel and pallet fort are made from plastic.

·
Registered
780 Posts
These watches have a plastic escapement so it doesn't surprise me.

The scary thing is that the Powermatic 80 and the new Hamilton movements are the same.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I have the red Sistem 51 and haven't had a single issue with it. Actually got it on a trade and it's turned out to be a good casual watch. You should take advantage of the warranty. Like Sekonda said any watch that is mass produced is gonna have a few duds.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have the red Sistem 51 and haven't had a single issue with it. Actually got it on a trade and it's turned out to be a good casual watch. You should take advantage of the warranty. Like Sekonda said any watch that is mass produced is gonna have a few duds.
Well sadly some people love to judge too easily without a second opinion. I done a 10 minutes research for Swatch sistem 51. Most review are fairly positive.

Anyway enjoy your good*working* sistem51 watch ;-)

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yeah. For all the hype surrounding the new movement, it's still a Swatch -- I doubt quality control is a high priority. Just get it replaced and hope for better on the next one.

I admit that I've never seen the appeal of Sistem51. It's not like good mechanical watches in that price range are hard to find. If I found the actual watches more attractive I could certainly be tempted, but they don't do much for me.

Actually, I would have expected the quality to be just as good as any respected and well known Swiss brand and maybe even better than the ordinary Swatch models because Swatch did a bit of advertising about the hi-tech production process for this model - all that stuff about it not being touched by human hands and all done by robotic production. Others may differ but in my mind, that conjures up high precision.

Anyhow, I was tempted but I ultimately didn't drink of the SIstem 51 purple kool aid. 150 bucks is 150 bucks. I don't like the whole disposibility angle of a mechanical watch - I mean that's what a Timex Quartz is for... mechanicals are supposed to be by nature - repairable. Also, the design so far doesn't appeal to me enough.

Rather would get a Seiko 5 or even another Timex Camper or Expedition.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
These watches have a plastic escapement so it doesn't surprise me.

The scary thing is that the Powermatic 80 and the new Hamilton movements are the same.
No they are not. The Swatch marketing just messed up the Powermatic press release message - maybe it was some new hire who did not have a clue.

For the OP: bad luck, next time buy a Parnis.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Amount of your negative criticism of this watch is just silly. you could have done a research before you buy one? If not... Serve you bloody right. If so.. have you consider a thought this watch could be faulty from the start? Don't expect every watch they make to be perfect from out of the workshop. Defects watches do happen. This is why we have warranty exist for a reason.
You telling someone to do research on a product that had no history at the time is just silly. Maybe you are use to watches not working right out of the shop, but I am not.
I don't expect perfection, but I do expect it to work.

I did a 2 minute search and came up with this:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f446/cant-two-defective-sistem51-s-1072887.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/swatch-sistem51-performance-issues-1061398.html

Warranty will cover it, not worried about it one way or the other. But obviously QC issues.

Reactions: Seaswirl

·
Premium Member
23,128 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious, you do know that to hand wind the Sistem51, you need to turn the crown counterclockwise.

Reactions: blowfish89

·
Registered
422 Posts
No they are not. The Swatch marketing just messed up the Powermatic press release message - maybe it was some new hire who did not have a clue.

For the OP: bad luck, next time buy a Parnis.
I was about to buy a tissot
And seller told me that some parts inside are plastic?

1 - 20 of 55 Posts