WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just use the warranty and get a new one. I will check the timekeeping on mine.
The timekeeping on the wrist was fine for a while. It was the timekeeping when I set it down face up. It slowed down a lot.

·
Premium Member
23,128 Posts
The timekeeping on the wrist was fine for a while. It was the timekeeping when I set it down face up. It slowed down a lot.
I found that the Sistem51 has quite poor isochronism, and since it has a 90 hour power reserve, you need to wind it quite a bit for it to get close to a full charge, and this is desirable as it is regulated so that it is most accurate at close to full charge.

·
Registered
780 Posts
No they are not. The Swatch marketing just messed up the Powermatic press release message - maybe it was some new hire who did not have a clue.

For the OP: bad luck, next time buy a Parnis.
I predict that the watch industry will make "All metal movement" a selling point within 10 years.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I found that the Sistem51 has quite poor isochronism, and since it has a 90 hour power reserve, you need to wind it quite a bit for it to get close to a full charge, and this is desirable as it is regulated so that it is most accurate at close to full charge.
Interesting. I did wind it a lot. At the end of the day, that was one less bottle of Scotch I got to drink. No big deal.

·
Registered
6,462 Posts
I was about to buy a tissot
And seller told me that some parts inside are plastic?
At the very least the movement spacer would probably be plastic. But, remember that plastic parts in a movement aren't necessarily a bad thing. Plastic is sturdy, and parts made from it are self-lubricating (which is a pretty big deal, actually). On a lower-end watch, I personally wouldn't see plastic in the movement as a problem, although I also wouldn't want it to be visible through the caseback. Geneva stripes on plastic just wouldn't have the same look.

·
Registered
8,374 Posts

Yes, after I bought it, the watch lost only 7 seconds in first 5 days while wearing. After the next couple of days mostly non-wear, it was several minutes off. I thought I must have messed up or the deserve must have died and didn't measure after that. I'll check it again.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I'd have thought a Swatch would be a decent, dependable product. As it should be the intro to the Swatch Group brand and partially seek to move the younger crowd up to the more expensive models over time. Brand loyalty is gigantic in the watch world.

With it being the largest Swiss maker - you'd think it'd take advantage of the economies of scale and produce something dependable, at a minimum...

Thanks for the heads up, I was thinking of trying out a Swatch due to the low cost and some are pretty cool.

·
Registered
780 Posts
At the very least the movement spacer would probably be plastic. But, remember that plastic parts in a movement aren't necessarily a bad thing. Plastic is sturdy, and parts made from it are self-lubricating (which is a pretty big deal, actually). On a lower-end watch, I personally wouldn't see plastic in the movement as a problem, although I also wouldn't want it to be visible through the caseback. Geneva stripes on plastic just wouldn't have the same look.
Seriously?!?!

Plastic in some of the complications is one thing but to put plastic in the drive train is unacceptable in my opinion.

If you want to go and buy these "things" be my guest but I would rather buy a quartz watch than a mechanical watch with some plastic parts.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I was about to buy a tissot
And seller told me that some parts inside are plastic?
More likely escape wheel and pallet fort are made from plastic. sistem51 watch has that.

You telling someone to do research on a product that had no history at the time is just silly. Maybe you are use to watches not working right out of the shop, but I am not.
I don't expect perfection, but I do expect it to work.

I did a 2 minute search and came up with this:

https://www.watchuseek.com/f446/cant-two-defective-sistem51-s-1072887.html

https://www.watchuseek.com/f71/swatch-sistem51-performance-issues-1061398.html

Warranty will cover it, not worried about it one way or the other. But obviously QC issues.
Now you done a research .Well again, serve you bloody right. Next time be Patience and wait for a review before you buy one. No, I always do my research before I know what I'm buying. I test it before I buy aswell.

we all expect the watch to work. However expect the unexpected. Be realistic next time.

·
Registered
780 Posts
No they are not. The Swatch marketing just messed up the Powermatic press release message - maybe it was some new hire who did not have a clue.

For the OP: bad luck, next time buy a Parnis.
I predict that the watch industry will make "All metal movement" a selling point within 10 years.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Funny, when i clicked on this, i pretty much had a hunch you meant the Sistem 51.

I picked one up last Sunday as well - i quite like it. Havent checked time keeping that carefully yet, but the main reason i got it was b/c it is cool how they built this almost entirely out of plastic and with just one screw.

·
Registered
780 Posts
You can safely buy the Tissot Powematic - it has nothing to do with Swatch Sistem 51.
Why would you say something like this when you know its untrue?

The Powermatic 80 and the C10111 movement found in the Sistem 51 are both made by ETA which means they do have something to do with each other....they are made by the same company.

So lets begin are comparison with this simple fact.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
we all expect the watch to work. However expect the unexpected. Be realistic next time.
Arent you the guy that slags off expensive watches? I guess this says a lot about your expectations.

·
Registered
8,442 Posts
Why would you say something like this when you know its untrue? The Powermatic 80 and the C10111 movement found in the Sistem 51 are both made by ETA which means they do have something to do with each other....they are made by the same company.
Dont be so literal minded.

Most people are able to figure out the context of that quote.

·
Registered
7,666 Posts
So, I bought this one last summer in Miami. I was kind of excited about it and after I let it sit for a month, I started wearing it. One day, I put it down on the counter and wore something else the next day. That next evening it was 3 minutes slow. I thought I must have set it wrong. Didn't think anything of it. A month later wearing it again and I could swear I saw the minute hand drop back several minutes. Again, I thought I must have hit the crown or something. I put it in the watch box and rotated other watches for months. Two days ago I was wearing it, I took it off and came back a few hours later and the dam thing was two minutes slow. I hand wound it up even though I had just put it down 2-3 hours earlier and the next morning it was stopped. I picked it up this morning and I wound it up and it would not start. I gave it several shakes and it started moving finally. But it won't run for more than a few hours. This thing is truly a piece of junk.

So you wonder what the watch is, well it is the Swatch Sistem51. My trusty 10 year old Invicta 8926 is a much better watch, as is my timex and my orient mako. This watch is terrible. It even feels like a cheap piece of junk.
Begs the question....."Will it blend?" :think:

·
Registered
212 Posts
So, I bought this one last summer in Miami. I was kind of excited about it and after I let it sit for a month, I started wearing it. One day, I put it down on the counter and wore something else the next day. That next evening it was 3 minutes slow. I thought I must have set it wrong. Didn't think anything of it. A month later wearing it again and I could swear I saw the minute hand drop back several minutes. Again, I thought I must have hit the crown or something. I put it in the watch box and rotated other watches for months. Two days ago I was wearing it, I took it off and came back a few hours later and the dam thing was two minutes slow. I hand wound it up even though I had just put it down 2-3 hours earlier and the next morning it was stopped. I picked it up this morning and I wound it up and it would not start. I gave it several shakes and it started moving finally. But it won't run for more than a few hours. This thing is truly a piece of junk.

So you wonder what the watch is, well it is the Swatch Sistem51. My trusty 10 year old Invicta 8926 is a much better watch, as is my timex and my orient mako. This watch is terrible. It even feels like a cheap piece of junk.
I have a similar experience and I think I found the answer - worth a try.
I got an extremely good deal on a TAO (Seagull ST2504 movement). Caveat was it sat in the warehouse for several years.
When it runs, it's extremely on-time (+3sec/24hr). BUT, it gets stuck sometimes - it would stop for no reason, then start again when you shake it out of its stupor.
Turns out, it sat around too long (even before you bought it), and some parts may be stuck on dried-up lubricants. Apparently, this is not a problem for a 5-year old watch that is in use, but it is for a 5-year old watch that just sat.
A full service should fix it.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Why would you say something like this when you know its untrue?

The Powermatic 80 and the C10111 movement found in the Sistem 51 are both made by ETA which means they do have something to do with each other....they are made by the same company.

So lets begin are comparison with this simple fact.
This is like comparing apples with oranges....indeed they are both fruits.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts