WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Because large vs. small triggers so much debate, let’s put that to bed up front. People should wear what works for them, and I’m happy when watch manufacturers make them in a variety of sizes. Oris, Longines, Breitling do a nice job offering multiple sizes in quality dive watches. I wear them larger because that’s what works best for my wrists.

Without specifically looking for larger watches, the two dive watches I purchased this year both have 46mm cases, which is a few millimeters larger than what I most often buy and wear. I tend to look for watch cases around 43-44mm cases and 50-51mm between the lugs, though I have a few watches larger than that. As the Seiko Tuna proves, a large watch can feel much smaller when the lugs are closer together.

For the most part, I bought these based on overall impression, just saw them and thought I would really enjoy wearing them. Anything up to 48mm works OK with my wrist. However, I have been pleasantly surprised that the lugs on both of these aren’t very long considering their size (51 and 52mm). I had considered a Longines Hydroconquest 44, a very nice watch, that ’wears larger’ with 54mm between the lugs.

Watch Analog watch Clock Watch accessory Everyday carry
Watch Analog watch Clock Wrist Font

For the sake of comparison, this is the largest watch I wear, and it has aftermarket lugs that facilitate more strap options but also lengthen the lug-to-lug distance. It’s a big watch, 48mm case, 55 lug to lug, 18mm thick. I have been wearing it more frequently because i finally found a strap that really works - a Borealis vulcanized rubber strap that looks similar to Isofrane without the price tag.
Watch Analog watch Arm Clock Watch accessory

So - is 2022 the year of the big watch, or are people looking for smaller wristwear?

·
Registered
43,277 Posts
Like you, 2022 should be the year of buying watches that fit your wrist, be that 28mil or 47 mil.

Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Everyday carry

Here’s one of them 47mils right now.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I feel like the past ten years have been years of the big watch. I personally prefer the fit n feel of 36-41mm but all the watches i love the look of and own are 41mm+

Edit* Apart from my trusty Casio f91-w

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
So - is 2022 the year of the big watch, or are people looking for smaller wristwear?
Eye Facial expression Jaw Joker Smile

Almost everyone is driving watches to smaller sizes. Even divers. It‘s as if people forgot that dive watches are supposed to be tough and legible (which necessitates larger sizes).

·
Premium Member
5,358 Posts
Really nice. 👍 Wear em how you like em ! Thanks.

There’s more selection than ever before. Everyone can get well now. 😄

·
Registered
573 Posts
i think we've already had the "years of the big watch" things are slowly scaling back in every watch category from dive to dress. mainly because there's a lot of cross over and most don't need to be mammoth because they're not used for diving or in a specialized way. sure, if you have big wrists you could pull off a lot more than avg to small. but a watch that fits best usually looks the best.

many can't go completely casual or wear short sleeve shirts all the time as well. that enables people to go larger as well. or allows them to get use to it.

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
many can't go completely casual or wear short sleeve shirts all the time as well. that enables people to go larger as well. or allows them to get use to it.
all my dress shirts that don't have cuff links are made with the left cuff a half inch wider. When made to measure shirts meet a watch nerd who wears larger dive watches....

·
Registered
Sinn EZM3Fz
7,587 Posts
41 in a diver is my sweet spot. 38-39 in "all dial" watches. Wear what you like even if it's not what I tell you to wear.
Watch Hand Analog watch Gesture Clock

Watch Hand Analog watch Clock Rectangle

Reactions: vmgotit

·
Registered
6,343 Posts
Big and small (thin) at the same time! 46mm across, but only 6.8mm thick.

Not my image, but as can be seen, because of the integrated strap it actually sits well on the wrist.

View attachment 16624702
I have seen those and been quite intrigued ... but I am obsessive about keeping my watch clean and the bezel teeth look like the ultimate dirt catcher. I'd need to walk around with some canned air to keep the dust bunnies out of there ;) . Seriously ... cool watch.

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Excellent watches, I love a nice big diver.

For me big watches are the way to go as well. Picked this guy up last week, just the watch head weighs more than my whole Pelagos on the bracelet, love it.

Love your choice of the Borealis strap as well, they've been my go to for years. Once I tried them I could never figure out why anyone would spend 140 bucks on an isofrane.

Watch Analog watch Clock Finger Font

·
Registered
573 Posts
it doesn't matter how big the watch is if you have a big enough wrist to wear it. people with big wrists need big watches.

if the watch doesn't have a long L2L measurement many people with smaller wrists could pull off wearing a watch that measures bigger than it wears.. but generally the larger the size the longer the L2L

Reactions: predapio

·
Premium Member
1,187 Posts
Almost everyone is driving watches to smaller sizes. Even divers. It‘s as if people forgot that dive watches are supposed to be tough and legible (which necessitates larger sizes).
Do you dive? Things are magnified underwater when viewing through a mask/lens. Anything over 42mm is a vanity piece.

Edit: Go meet divers…see how many of them are actually using a traditional dive watch for its intended purpose (pretty much none of them, other than those that do it for the lol’s). The only time mine gets action is if I’m bored at a safety stop and decide to set it, because timing your deco or safety stop when you’ve got two dive computers automatically tracking it is necessary, lol.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts