WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Go Anywhere Do Anything" (GADA) watch is a designation that folks like to thrown around, but for every GADA mentioned, I bet some can include at lease one reason it is not. In that way, is GADA a useless designation? To be sure, some watches are more "versatile" than others, but it hardly makes it "GADA." To that end, I feel the same way with "grail" watches.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I think the same thing could be said about discussions about anything versatile.

But you’re missing the point. The point is to have fun discussing watches while helping folks find something that is versatile enough to be worn in virtually any situation. Sure there are always caveats, but that’s part of what makes the discussion, and the search, fun.

It’s a watch forum for watch enthusiasts. If GADA (or grail, or any other of the many topics discussed ad nauseam) discussions bother you, online forums may not be the place for you.

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I think the same thing could be said about discussions about anything versatile.

But you’re missing the point. The point is to have fun discussing watches while helping folks find something that is versatile enough to be worn in virtually any situation. Sure there are always caveats, but that’s part of what makes the discussion, and the search, fun.

It’s a watch forum for watch enthusiasts. If GADA (or grail, or any other of the many topics discussed ad nauseam) discussions bother you, online forums may not be the place for you.

can we copy and paste this as a response to 90% of the posters on here?

·
Registered
35 Posts
for every GADA mentioned, I bet some can include at lease one reason it is not. In that way, is GADA a useless designation?
I don't think your logic follows here. Like with everything in watches (grail, beater, affordable, etc) GADA is a subjective term. You are right there is no universal standard of GADA, and indeed there will always be those who scoff at wearing a diver with a suit, or any watch with black tie. However, that does not mean GADA is useless as a term. For some people, extremely versatile watches like a Submariner or an Aqua Terra can go anywhere and do anything, so it is fair for them to describe those as such. If the Seiko SKX is affordable for 95% of the population, doesn't it make sense to call it affordable? Saying it is affordable does not mean anyone everywhere can afford it, but it's still a useful approximation.

If you think about it, all categories are somewhat arbitrary, so if we extend your logic they're all "useless". Should we drop dress watches because so many are 35mm+, in stainless steel and without small seconds?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Sorry can't agree. Explorer, Aqua Terra, and their homages + near competitors qualify as GADA's.
I think somewhere there is a chrono enthusiast that would say those don't qualify, since they are not chronographs and you cannot time things. On the other side, a chrono is not a 'dress watch'. The GADA watch as defined does not exist.

It is all a silly argument, but interesting to follow along with nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
In the most literal sense of the term, there is probably no such thing as a GADA watch.

In the sense that most people use the term, there are plenty of GADA watches.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Agree with this. Plus we need to consider our little world here in watchgeekdom vs the rest. For my Dad, his Rolex DJ was a GADA watch - absolutely. He never went diving, he never went to a black tie event. So not having a dive watch, nor a "classically described" dress watch was not a problem for him. For everything he did, and needed a watch with, he was able to do with his DJ.

Why wouldn't that be a GADA for him?

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
"Go Anywhere Do Anything" (GADA) watch is a designation that folks like to thrown around, but for every GADA mentioned, I bet some can include at lease one reason it is not. In that way, is GADA a useless designation? To be sure, some watches are more "versatile" than others, but it hardly makes it "GADA." To that end, I feel the same way with "grail" watches.
It's useless, promotes argument, will have no resolution, and therefore generates twenty pages of discussion on this forum.

·
Registered
5,420 Posts
I don't think your logic follows here. Like with everything in watches (grail, beater, affordable, etc) GADA is a subjective term. You are right there is no universal standard of GADA, and indeed there will always be those who scoff at wearing a diver with a suit, or any watch with black tie. However, that does not mean GADA is useless as a term.
It's not useless per se - it does describe what most people wear most of their lives - but as a term of debate it's about as useless as a Perlon condom. Because there is no absolute, no World Government definition, the argument will rage frankly until the earth is consumed by the sun.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As others have said, mostly subjective. I mean Jack Nicklaus' Rolex Day-Date in yellow gold was his only watch for decades, so obviously that's his GADA. But certainly not a watch most people here would consider as such. At the same time I doubt he (or most men of his generation) were walking into shopping malls wearing a t-shirt and flip flops, so the watch probably matched anything he'd wear and obviously the Rolex was just durable enough for most activities.

1 - 20 of 113 Posts