WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not even a smart watch.

But what we seek, is why we are collectors of watches.

Mine is, water resistant to 100m or more, easy to read, and a solar battery.

Smart watches aren't solar powered and water resistant to my liking yet.

WE ALL OWN SMART PHONES!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Honestly I own what I consider the perfect watch for me.
Steinhart Ocean One GMT, 42mm, aluminum 24 hour bezel, ETA automatic movement, 300m water resistance, super solid oyster bracelet. It gets the most wrist time by far and if I had to sell every other watch I could be happy with this one.
But of course I live in the first world, have disposable income and a broad range of tastes in watch designs, so I'm still acquiring. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
It's so hard to base a purchase just on cold qualities. A thousand watches can have identical characteristics but the execution of one of them is what makes it a standout. Add to that there's always new themes and approaches to established designs and the possibilities become endless! I won't even know what I want until I see it lol

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,103 Posts
Not even a smart watch.

But what we seek, is why we are collectors of watches.

Mine is, water resistant to 100m or more, easy to read, and a solar battery.

Smart watches aren't solar powered and water resistant to my liking yet.

WE ALL OWN SMART PHONES!
My Garmin Descent would beg to differ on the water resistance - it doubles as a dive watch, and will do anything a Tech Diver needs it to do.

As for my 'perfect watch' - it'd be pretty close to a Doxa Sub mixed with a Tudor Pelagos I think.

1. A dive watch.
2. water resistance suitable for diving / snorkelling, etc. Say 200 m
3. Exceptional lume.
4. A no-deco bezel
5. Silver / Blue or Orange dial
6. Adjustable strap or bracelet that can fit over a 5 - 6.5 mm wetsuit (~4mm at wrists)
7. domed crystal
8. No bigger than 43 mm
9. No thicker than 15mm
10. Titanium case is ideal, though not necessary.

·
Premium Member
7,391 Posts
I don't think I can draw up an abstract ideal watch because there are just so many variables, some of which are ineffable, but one thing that is extremely important to me that is a little more concrete is a good bracelet/strap. Often times they can make or break a watch for me. It is a nice feeling when you breathe new life into a watch with a new strap or bracelet.

·
Registered
10,726 Posts
I was first going to answer that "hey, all four of my main watches are perfect!" but then, thinking about it, all four have date windows which I can barely see and which I don't really need, and just about never use, so, I guess for them to be truly perfect, they would have to lose the date windows--beyond that, though, there is nothing that could be used to create a set of parameters that would generate the specs of a perfect watch, for me at least--of my four nearly perfect, all are different sizes, three different dial colors, three different case metals, two different lume types, and different dial/numeral designs across the board--each complements (rather than repeats or resembles) the others, and as a set, make for a perfect collection.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Isn't it always the one on your wrist at the moment :)

Characteristics I seek when watch shopping:

* Not "too busy" on the face (some chrono's make my eyes cross...too much action going on)
* Screw down crown (diver style most often)
* Full immersion/swimming water resistance; shock resistance is nice
* Metal bracelet
* Battery powered quartz (I can and do appreciate mechanicals but daily beater's are always quartz)
* Date display at 12 o'clock and large enough for people with bad vision like myself can see
* 43-45mm dia
* Around $750 tops (If inadvertently destroyed, lost, stolen etc I won't go into mourning)

You would think there are plenty of watches that could fill the above list but finding one for me that truly captures them all exactly as my mind pictures it is more complex than it would seem.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
I found one that meets all of my wants. Qualifications would include very legible, second hand, date, great lume,useful complication, no chopped numbers, bracelet, Swiss, Independant,un-common, in-house movement as a bonus.

Reactions: VanAdian

·
Registered
647 Posts
- Highly legible
- No date
- 35-36mm case width
- Keeps perfect time
- Lume that is invisible by day but lasts all night
- Thin
- Easy to grip crown
- No logo or branding
- Design that i enjoy looking at

·
Registered
4,745 Posts
37-41 mm
date
100 meter water resistant
sticks for hour markers
no lume
steel bracelet - thin but double secured clasp
8-10 mm thickness
extremely minimal writing on the dial (brand name is the most allowed and the name should be short and even that's not needed) No Automatic, no details on where it was made, etc
Needs to be accurate - at least cosc accuracy
display back
highly decorated movement
complex case with a focus on brushed vs polished, but still uses both
drilled lug holes
sapphire crystal - anti reflective coating required and of course no cyclopes or other reading aids built in
steel but could consider titanium - absolutely no precious metals used on bezel or case or band (hopefully a given)
Highly legible
Easy to use crown
Smooth winding feel on the crown
automatic

Anyway yeah, it's hard to get close to perfect, but we keep hoping.

·
Registered
516 Posts
If I had to pick one of my collection it would be this on original band and I puke of leather and nylon NATO’s

Where’s flat .... I hate tall watches and just works for me

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Let’s see .... it probably exists (or close to it) and I don’t know or can’t afford it. Since this is all about preference .... here we go >>>

1) minimum 200m water resistance
2) titanium case and bracelet - in a brushed matte finish
3) simple dial - time only with no date or chrono functions - absolute minimal branding
4) screw down crown and compressor case back
5) solar powered 24hr HAQ quartz (probably heresy to some, but hey it’s my fantasy) with a sweeping second hand like a Precisionist or Grand Seiko - plus radio frequency time sync
6) torch like lume AND indiglo (belt and suspenders .... but I like being able to see it at all times - not sure how they would pull off indiglo with a screw down crown) perhaps a full face lume would be acceptable if it lasted all night forever but I’ve never really heard of that
7) double domed sapphire crystal with AR coating inside and out
8) case thickness (not counting the crystal) should be no more than 10mm
9) battery life should be about 5 years
10) 40mm with lug-to-lug no more than 48mm
11) independently adjustable hour hand for DST
12) GMT hand (I use UTC time for work constantly)
13) Drilled lugs, screwed linksand I should never hear a rattle from the bracelet under any circumstances
14) butterfly clasp with toolless micro adjustment and double locking
15) 120 click bezel with lume but discrete markings for rough timing (I end up actually using bezels far more than chronos)

I’m sure there’s more that could come to mind but that about covers it for the moment.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I don’t think I could come up with a single set of requirements since some of mine are mutually exclusive depending on use case. I’ll try to give two sets, though, that would meet 90% of what I want...

Dress Watch:
- 37mm to 39mm diameter
- Easy to read
- 3m water resistance (basic splash proof)
- Manual wind or mechanical/no quartz
- Second Hand
- Face that works with both black and brown strap so I can coordinate with a range of belts and shoes
- Display back
- Nice feel to the manual wind
- Unobtrusive text on the face
- Thin enough for any cuff, say, <=11mm
- A movement that is the appropriate diameter for the watch case—hate it when it’s obvious the movement was first designed for a smaller diameter watch
- No drilled lugs
- No date window—aesthetics are critical in a dress watch
- COSC level accuracy
- Saphire crystal (can’t stand older plexiglass due to scratching; don’t mind scratches on a case which can add character, but hate scratches on the crystal since they interfere with legibility)
- 72 hour power reserve or better

For me, these requirements are currently met by a Lange 1815 up/down which has been my grail for many years.

Everyone needs a casual watch, though, that is perhaps a bit more robust...

Sports Watch/Dive Watch/Casual:
- 38mm to 42mm with short enough lugs it doesn’t look silly on my 6.25” wrists
- Easy to read (is this a theme?)
- 100m or better water resistance so I can swim with it or shower
- Automatic movement or perhaps spring drive, but no batteries
- Analog
- Second Hans
- Shock proof enough for tennis, golf, or cycling
- No integrated bracelet; don’t mind an optional one, but I generally prefer straps, so it’s got to adapt to a leather strap/NATO/rubber strap as appropriate; no Royal Oak or Nautilus
- Resistant to magnetic fields, so either a silicon hairspring and display back (preferred) or a soft iron cage around the movement
- Drilled lugs for easy strap replacement
- Some sort of timing device, either a rotating bezel or a chronograph
- Thin enough to not look like a tuna can, I.e., <15mm
- Ample lume for all night
- Date
- COSC level accuracy
- Saphire crystal
- 72 hour power reserve or better

Until very recently I have struggled with this one and met these core requirements with a couple different watches. Now I have something that covers all of the above: Blancpain Fifty Dathoms Ocean Commitment III. The Tribute to Milspec would have worked, too, but the OCIII is prettier. Previous compromises included a Speedy (diameter too large, no date, too short a power reserve, and a little too tall) and an IWC Mark (no timing device, too short a power reserve, but can work well as a “bridge” between casual and dress and is probably my best option in a “do it all” watch).

- Jared

·
Premium Member
71,355 Posts
Your username give the best clue to my near perfect watch so far but I keep on searching (and enjoy it immensely) because you never know what might turn up next.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
1) Fits my wrist properly
2) Makes me smile
3) Watch presents good value for money (in terms of case finishing/details, movement, heritage)

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
If there is such a thing as a perfect watch we would be wearing that 24/7 and wouldn't be buying so many watches.

Reactions: Simon

·
Registered
6,202 Posts
Definition of perfect? Here are some qualifications for my 'perfect' watch.

Perfectly accurate to atomic time and perfectly smooth second hand.
Perpetual meaning limitless PR, it simply never stops.
Waterproof to infinite depth and antimagnetic to infinite gauss, and able to withstand several thousand g in shock with zero damage to movement or case.
Looks amazing in any situation meaning dress, business, casual, dive, race, sports activity, on a yacht, etc.
Perfectly readable in all situations with limitless lume that does not dim over time.
Totally weightless on wrist (or hefty depending on your preference).
Extremely affordable to buy and does not depreciate over time and never requires a service.
Totally ding-proof and scratchproof, even against diamonds.

Well you get what I mean.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts