WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,651 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some people just don't like a fashion brand. They believe in the heritage of the real brands like Zenith and Omega. But from time to time I get to see some examples of fashion brands that make me think "what if these were branded differently?" What if they were branded with a brand other people believe in more?

These models by Calvin Klein made me think what I thought. I think that what I'm saying is: "does the brand matter that much to decide to buy the watch (if you are NOT into fashion brands)?" What do you think?

ck emailing_016.jpg
ck emailing_015.jpg
ck emailing_014.jpg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sometimes I wonder too. For example I really do like a a lot of watches and designs from Hugo Boss but they are way too overpriced. All their watches are made in Japan and prices go up to 600 euro's, for that money I can get a Swiss watch with higher quality standards and more heritage as you mentioned.

·
Registered
368 Posts
These models by Calvin Klein made me think what I thought. I think that what I'm saying is: "does the brand matter that much to decide to buy the watch (if you are NOT into fashion brands)?" What do you think?
*disclosure - I got to this post from Facebook... not the fashion watch thread.

For me, it's more of a qualitative issue. I'd still be happy with my JLC Master Geographic if you just took off the logo. I'd consider one of those CK watches... if they weren't battery powered, had a nice Swiss or German movement with open case back, had comparable finishes to my JLC, etc. I guess at that point though, I'm really just wearing a high end watch. I should have prefaced by stating the obvious price differences, but I suppose my answer to your question is that quality is the determining factor in my decision to buy a watch.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I'm quite certain that Calvin Klein, being a member of Swatch Group, uses ETA movement, in which case would have little to no quality difference as if you bought a quartz Tag Heuer or Tissot.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I sometimes find myself looking at fashion watches, but for the money, i usually feel better spending it on a more recognized brand with an automatic or mechanical movement. I usually like some of the Gucci or burberry designs, but I'm really only willing to spend about 350 at most on a quartz watch. I guess i like the mechanical nature of auto's over quartz. Plus, for 350 on the used market, I can pick up some nice TAG's, which I've done twice: a two tone mid-size 2000 and a SS 3000. I still have the 3000, and I love it for the 325 i spent on it; it's unique, from a recognized watch brand, and swiss, which is difficult to come by in the fashion watch market at that price range.

·
Registered
14,128 Posts
Hey, those look pretty good! I'll have to keep my eye out.

·
Registered
112 Posts
fashion watches do sometimes look real good and some have a sticker price equal to a brand name watch The biggest issue I always come up with is the brand watch that I like is a little more expensive and I seetle for a fashion watch with the same aesthetics.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I sometimes find myself looking at fashion watches, but for the money, i usually feel better spending it on a more recognized brand with an automatic or mechanical movement. I usually like some of the Gucci or burberry designs, but I'm really only willing to spend about 350 at most on a quartz watch. I guess i like the mechanical nature of auto's over quartz. Plus, for 350 on the used market, I can pick up some nice TAG's, which I've done twice: a two tone mid-size 2000 and a SS 3000. I still have the 3000, and I love it for the 325 i spent on it; it's unique, from a recognized watch brand, and swiss, which is difficult to come by in the fashion watch market at that price range.
I draw the line there Gucci amd burberry have price starting at 600$. Now that is overpriced hugo boss very nice designs and I would have no problem buying for 250-300

1 - 8 of 8 Posts