WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A video from CNN's Out front with Erin Burnett caught my eye... But also was kinda sad, and very ignorant, but it made me laugh too. Check it out.

Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com

That's a link to a video detailing a PP clock that was sold for $2.3 at the latest Sotheby's auction, and along with it came some interesting commentary on how the non-WIS world thinks about complex timepieces. Including the point that the $11mil Patek Super watch that sold a while back would soon be worth nothing, because 60% of men use their phones for telling time... Okay...

Not one of CNN's finer moments if you ask me.

-Mr. P

EDIT: Just to clarify, this thread isn't meant to be an attack on CNN,
I enjoy some of their programs. Just the state of the public perception of WISism.

·
Registered
218 Posts
What do you expect its Erin Burnett she is absolutely terrible. CNN has gone down hill big time, it used to be my go to news channel but not anymore.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
That is an indictment on CNN.
I think it's an indictment on all network news. Choose almost anything you'd like: cars, watches, music, sports...heck even the military and politics and the best they can give you is semi-informed clichés where the emphasis is placed on getting everything said in under a minute or so. Zinging the affluent for their out-of-touch, spendthrift ways or predicting the death of a social more is likely more interesting to their consumers than the inclusion of flyback and rattrapante functionality (and then some) in the same watch.

Reactions: BrentYYC

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I think it's an indictment on all network news. Choose almost anything you'd like: cars, watches, music, sports...heck even the military and politics and the best they can give you is semi-informed clichés where the emphasis is placed on getting everything said in under a minute or so. Zinging the affluent for their out-of-touch, spendthrift ways or predicting the death of a social more is likely more interesting to their consumers than the inclusion of flyback and rattrapante functionality (and then some) in the same watch.
"look at them, everyone of them, several hundred thousand dollars and more...and that would be a cheapo watch." ....and she shows a Chopard ad that clearly says 21,420 pounds....I guess she doesn't get currency conversion either. She bears her wrist and flaunts it while saying "Watch, watch" as she talks about the Patek Philippe super complicated giant pocket watch.

·
Registered
5,042 Posts
"look at them, everyone of them, several hundred thousand dollars and more...and that would be a cheapo watch." ....and she shows a Chopard ad that clearly says 21,420 pounds....I guess she doesn't get currency conversion either. She bears her wrist and flaunts it while saying "Watch, watch" as she talks about the Patek Philippe super complicated giant pocket watch.
Referencing a pocket watch while chatting about wrist watches was telling. It's like talking about baseball and not knowing the difference between Ty Cobb and Hank Aaron. To be fair, she did solicit dissenting opinions via Twitter at the end of the piece – particularly ones held by those absurd “Patek Philippe people”. As is usual - with people being people and all - this stuff often winds up being about finding ways to feel better about our collective selves at someone else’s expense.

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
In her defence, she is quite pretty.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
CNN is still the home of Soledad O'brien so im willing to give them a pass:)

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Hits close to home huh rob:) , sometimes its cool to be an outlier bro.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Erin Burnett reporting "news" of her own angle, without enough knowledge and facts.
maybe she is angry with her husband, David Rubulotta, MD of Citigroup, for buying his grail instead of another diamond ring.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I don't think this was aimed at us at all. I couldn't help but get the impression when I was watching it that it was a revenge piece. . . maybe her new husband (she married a Citigroup exec back in december) is a WIS and recently made a large purchase she doesn't approve.

Then again maybe I'm just misogynistic.

(hit post, saw rics21's comment, next time maybe I should read the whole thread, still, my analysis stands. . . especially the very last bit)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Is it just me or does she sound a little pompous in that little news worthy story? I agree, she is a good looking woman.
That is not her fault. I believe that a certain amount of arrogance is required by contract at CNN. Well thought out, informed news is not required.

Reactions: Shiftster

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I guess watches aren't exotic enough to make her list of 8 Ways To Impress Me but clearly she doesn't mind spending money on (or receiving as a gifts) luxury items.
That completely changed my opinion of her, I though she was uninformed, now I see she's just an arrogant jerk, "round trip first class tickets"... "A personal chef"... "Send a personal yoga trainer for private lessons at my home"... Etc. Etc. Pretty hypocritical if you ask me... She's basically saying she won't date anyone whose not rich...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts