WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - I am looking for advice - I want a thin watch I can use everyday - something that won't be too bulky (it is a comfort issue). I have several large watches and find them uncomfortable at times.

I assume it will be a hand-wound to keep it thin, though obviously an automatic would be fine/

I like modern designs and tend to prefer square watches. In terms of style, I like the Nomos Tetra, but it is quite small. I like some of the Stowa designs as well, but am not sure about how thick they are (the automatics I have seen appear to be thick).

I also tend to like watches with Arabic numerals (no Roman numerals).

As for budget, I would like to spend less than £1500, and preferably quite a bit less (since it is for every day use).

Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Quartz is out?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Didn't realize it was a quartz - seems to be decent value for a quartz, but i would prefer mechanical.

Looks nice - funny that I checked Kickstarter some weeks ago to see what was up with watches and didn't see anything interesting. Will check that one out (just wish it had numbers on the face, but that is not a huge issue). Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Maybe a Hamilton Intra-matic...quite thin (about 8mm) and very versatile, style wise. I would say the silver dial with black leather strap would be the way to go - for every day wear. Very comfortable on the wrist as well.
IMG_20130915_232744.JPG

Reactions: pantagruel

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Muhle Glashutte's Teutonia II Quadrant Medium is 33mm x 33mm and 9.7mm thick so the width seems about right and at less than 10mm in height it's either on the thick side of thin or thin side of thicker depending how you look at it...It's about 1/3 taller than the Nomos, but it gets some extra credit for being an auto. This watch lists for £1730 or so, but if you can get a decent discount you'd be well under your cap:

3124_teutonia_kvadrant_medium3.jpg

I'm not sure if either option qualifies as modern, but you could get a silver dial as well.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Stowa Partitio seems like a really good fit, case is 9.5mm, domed sapphire makes it 10.8mm, but case seems to be very nicely round-y and it's automatic. 62.5g on the strap. Black, Cream, or Special Manual Cream (images linked from stowa.de).

Stowa also has the Antea, in several case variations. The Antea 365 is 36.5mm in diameter, 8.1mm thick, great Soprod A10 movement (2892 clone I believe), and weighs in at a bantam weight 52gr. If there were a no date version, I'd be sorely tempted to flip my Nomos Orion for a destro-ized Antea 365.

Or, The Max Bill Automatic claims 38mm x 5mm, but have I doubts about that thickness. The manual one is listed as 34.2mm x 8.8mm. Both save weight by using plexiglass crystal, though. It'll be crazy light but you'll probably need to polish it every few weeks.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Oops, forgot about the even smaller Antea, Antea Small Seconds, 35.5mm x 6.9mm, manual Peseux 7001 movement, 41gr.
Note, the Antea 365 and Partitio are rated to 5atm, whilst, the Antea Small Seconds is 3atm. OTOH, The Nomos Tangente Sport is 36.5mm x 7.5mm, in-house movement (mostly based on the venerable Peseux 7001 I think) and is rated to 10atm. A wee bit outside your budget new, but well within used, edit: nvm, your limit was in GBP, not USD. This is the one I'd get. Especially if you can find one used.

·
Moderator at Large
53,738 Posts
If you want to know what the height of Stowa watches is just read the technical specs on their web site. The Antea KS 41 is 9,7mm. The automatic 390 with A10 is only 8,7 mm.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the info. I like the Stowa models - I wasn't sure about how thick they are and how large they wear (I suppose 36mm diameter is sort of medium sized, though how it appears on the wrist presumably depends a lot on the face size, and these have large faces). The Nomos is lovely - need to see what I can find one for (really prefer not to stretch the budget too much - meaning looking for well below the cap if I can manage).

Oops, forgot about the even smaller Antea, Antea Small Seconds, 35.5mm x 6.9mm, manual Peseux 7001 movement, 41gr.
Note, the Antea 365 and Partitio are rated to 5atm, whilst, the Antea Small Seconds is 3atm. OTOH, The Nomos Tangente Sport is 36.5mm x 7.5mm, in-house movement (mostly based on the venerable Peseux 7001 I think) and is rated to 10atm. A wee bit outside your budget new, but well within used, edit: nvm, your limit was in GBP, not USD. This is the one I'd get. Especially if you can find one used.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Odd - I did a search and have seen this one listed as having a sapphire crystal, but also with plexi (I assume that the sapphire listing was simply a lazy assumption). I don't think I could manage plexi. I have also seem the auto listed as 10mm after being measured by callipers, so the 5mm claim must be wrong.

By the way, the Muhle Glashutte Teutonia II Quadrant Medium listed earlier is drop dead gorgeous - might end up too expensive and a bit too thick.

(my current regular watches are a Shellman Grand Complication - listed as 13mm thick - and a Hamilton Jazzmaster square chrono - listed as 12mm -so I would ideally like to find something quite a bit thinner, like perhaps 8mm if I can find it).

Or, The Max Bill Automatic claims 38mm x 5mm, but have I doubts about that thickness. The manual one is listed as 34.2mm x 8.8mm. Both save weight by using plexiglass crystal, though. It'll be crazy light but you'll probably need to polish it every few weeks.

·
Registered
30,181 Posts
All very good suggestions. Stowa makes a great thinner case watch as does Nomos.

If quartz were not an issue, you could try one of the Citizen Attesas or Casio Oceanus models which are JDM (Japanese Domestic Market) for something different as a suggestion.

Really thin, titanium light, radio controlled, sapphire crystal, great lume, and an ultra comfortable wearer on a daily basis.

Great fit and finish for the price, but some, not all, are Japanese funky with dial stuff, which can be a good or bad thing to some folks, but I found one that is great.

I know this is a total opposite post of the input so far, but I too was looking for something with the same criteria as yours, but it did not matter to me if it was quartz, auto, or mech, as I have all kinds.

I just wanted something that was easy on the wrist I could wear all day, but still excellent build quality and good versatility with office and play clothes. A friend of mine had just gotten a Citizen Attesa. When I tried it on, it was like there was almost nothing there. Never seen on of these in person before, as I like mostly like Swiss and German timepieces, but it was pretty trick.

I did some research, and settled on a Casio Oceanus Manta for something against the grain, and it might be my favorite watch because it is so light and comfy, but has excellent finishing. You would never know some of the part are titanium they are brushed so fine. The inside of the bracelet links are beveled, and it sits just right. I ALWAYS take off my watch before bedtime, and since I have had this now for three months, I have woke up with it still on my wrist twice.......

It is very different from what you are probably looking for, but if you had asked me four months ago if I would ever own something like this I would have said no.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Thin? Did anyone mention Skagan? Or maybe Bocca? Not high end, I know.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Also, check out NOMOS. I have their Orion Wieß and love it. They also have several other beautiful, low profile designs.

Apologies for the poor picture quality; it looks a thousand times better in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I have the Nomos Orion Anthrazit and it is a beauty. I'll second the suggestion of a JDM Casio or Citizen as a very very viable option. They are very well made and are a great "it just works" option. Casio Lineage, Edifice, and Oceanus are (I think) the lines in ascending order. Lineage will typically be the smallest, but don't usually have sapphire. I think sapphire is standard from Edifice on up. The Oceanus line has bracelet, case, and dial finishing on par if not better than anything in the sub $10k range out of Switzerland. Damn, now this thread has me wanting a Manta also.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I looked on the Stowa website and cannot find the tech specs, where are they listed?

If you want to know what the height of Stowa watches is just read the technical specs on their web site. The Antea KS 41 is 9,7mm. The automatic 390 with A10 is only 8,7 mm.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts