WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm kind of interested in wearing a chrono as my every day watch. However, the ones I've owned have been in the "thickish" range and I just can't stand having a hockey puck on my wrist.
Looking for something in the 12mm thick or less range and I prefer SS bracelets over leather although that's not an absolute. Is this even possible? Lemme know what's available. Include pix and thickness measurements if possible. Thanks all.

·
Registered
Lately: Omega Seamaster Professional Divers 300
4,298 Posts
I'm kind of interested in wearing a chrono as my every day watch. However, the ones I've owned have been in the "thickish" range and I just can't stand having a hockey puck on my wrist.
Looking for something in the 12mm thick or less range and I prefer SS bracelets over leather although that's not an absolute. Is this even possible? Lemme know what's available. Include pix and thickness measurements if possible. Thanks all.
Nope. More watch. More thick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
Sure they exist. They may cost however.
AP RO Chronograph is a mere 11 mm thick.
Watch Watch accessory Analog watch Wrist Fashion accessory

My El Primero 1969 38mm is just 12.5mm thick (over 12, but fells rather slim)
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Piaget Altiplano Chrono is under 9mm thick.

The thinnest "regular" production automatic chrono movement is the Piguet 1185 at 5.5mm. In the Chopard St. Moritz chrono I own it is under 11mm, in the more current Blancpain Leman Flyback I own it is 13+mm thick. The El Primero movement Zenith A386 of 1969 and 70s Movado Datron were a shade over 12mm thick.

Thickness in watches these days is a reflection of fashion, much more than a reflection of movement thickness.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I was also going to say the Zenith el primero, but also look at Blancpain. There is also some of the omega de ville’s out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
12,507 Posts
IWC Portugieser Chronograph 3714.

12.60mm.

Reactions: psbero

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, great suggestions so far. I've got research to do.
Keep em coming.
How bout we have a part 2 of the question and get rid of the auto requirement.
What else stacks up against the Speedmaster?

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Captain Chronograph, 11.8mm thick. Available on bracelet as well.

View attachment 13229665
I'm really digging this watch, but in the black dial version. I've seen a few for sale here and there but have yet to determine if there is any lume on the dial. The white with gold doesn't appear to have any, but the black does; and it was described to have it on a much loved/hated website. Does anybody know for sure if any years of the black dial version has lume?
Thanks

·
Registered
410 Posts
The top few "non-exotic" pieces that come to mind are the Zenith El Primero (specifically the Chronomaster or Heritage 146), IWC Portuguese 3714, and Rolex Daytona; which are all around 12.5mm thick. But anything with the Frederic Piguet 1185 would be worth considering, but they tend to be rather more expensive. These would be pieces such as the AP RO Chronograph, the VC Overseas, or Blancpain Le Mans models. Then you also have a few from Piaget (eg Altiplano) and JLC which are quite slim.

As for modern hand wound chronos (I will ignore vintage) you would be looking at anything with the classic Lemania 2310/2320 base, which is also known as the Omega 321/861, Patek CH27, Breguet 533, VC 1141. Plus then you also have really high end exotic stuff like the Lange 1815 chrono, FP Journe, etc.

Reactions: slcbbrown

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
The GP chrono's in the 8020 and 4956 families are 12mm and 13mm, respectively, and are pretty substantial, sporty models. The Breguet Type XX is about 14.5mm, but part of that comes from a protruding caseback. The watch wears fairly slim.

The 38mm Navitimers run about 12mm.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts