WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Depending if your looking at a Diver vs non-Diver (dress watch)B-) and then there is a price $$$ because affordable to me might not be affordable to you.

Give us a little more to work with and we can come up with something for you.:think:

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
My first thought goes to a Poljot DeLuxe dress automatic, they seem pretty slim. They aren't made any more, but there seem to be plenty of them on the "Bay". The hard part is finding one in good shape.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Griff

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
Griff,
There are also older US Brand Autos like the Bulovas. I have a Concentric 23 Jewel that is nice and slim. Many of their autos are slimmer than the modern ones and often keep excellent time (mine is 6 Adjustments - 3 positions just like many of the COSC watches).

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
1st.........I think we need a definition of what you consider thin (preferably in mm) and then we can objectively discuss it! :)

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Griff,
There are also older US Brand Autos like the Bulovas. I have a Concentric 23 Jewel that is nice and slim. Many of their autos are slimmer than the modern ones and often keep excellent time (mine is 6 Adjustments - 3 positions just like many of the COSC watches).
And I do love that Bulova of yours Robert, what an awesome watch! :-!

Cheers,
Griff

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I suspect ~9mm is just about as thin as you possibly could get with a 2824 with 10-11mm being more realistic? :think: That's working of 4.6mm for the movement, .5mm for the dial and dial spacer, 1.5 mm'ish for the hand stack, 1mm clearance for hands and rotor and 1 mm crystal and case back....I'm sure though, others will know better! ;-)

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
How much thinner could I get with a non-seethrough caseback?
About a half a millimeter. I haven't seen an 2824 powered watch less than 10mm.

The ETA 2892A2 movement is a thinner movement (3.6mm), but I doubt you find one in your price range.

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
Is Concentric the name of the watch line?
I was referring to older Vintage Bulovas. Bulova was the largest manufacturer of Autos in the US for decades. There are hundreds of models out there and many are still running strong and can be a good buy.

The Concentric is a model of Bulova that was made in the 50s. It had their high-end movement in it (23 Jewels - 6 Adjustments - 3 positions) and had the Day of the week in the 12 O'Clock window and Date was done via pointer on the main dial. Fancy lugs, ~35mm. I really fell for it when I saw it on eBay about 18 months ago. Mine is in fantastic shape for a 50+ year old watch.:p

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
And I do love that Bulova of yours Robert, what an awesome watch! :-!

Cheers,
Griff
Griff,

Thanks. It's a classic and reminds me that Americans used to be pretty darn good watchmakers:-(

·
5,161 Posts
The one I'm wearing right now is only about 8mm thick including crystal and bezel with ETA movement and display back. It even has a day of the week complication. Scored it new a couple of years ago at SNBC for around $200 (with the legendary coupon, of course). Edox Les Pres:

Eddyboy's pic

SNBC pic

·
Premium Member
10,615 Posts
Its a nice watch and all - and I was going to tell you so the first time you posted it;-)

·
Affordables Moderator
17,578 Posts
Griff,

Thanks. It's a classic and reminds me that Americans used to be pretty darn good watchmakers:-(
I know, and it is a shame...I have 2 Bulova Accutrons which I think was an amazing feat of engineering for the early 1960's. My 1964 Spaceview keeps time better than original factory specs of 1 sec/day.

My wife and I are going to the former "capital" of American watchmaking, Lancaster, PA - home of Hamilton, next month for a weekend getaway. Plus I convinced her to take a side trip to the NAWCC museum B-)

Cheers,
Griff

P.S. Sorry for hijacking the thread!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts