WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Thin/slim affordable sporty watch for everyday active life and office

4K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Podpi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi, I am looking for a thin/slim affordable sporty watch for everyday active life that should be dressy enough to wear it for rare office meetings. Definitely not a diver.

Design might be something like these, however there are no strict preferences:
DS Action : Swiss Made watches | Certina
Watch Longines Conquest V.H.P. L3.716.4.76.6

Some other requirements:
1. Automatic or quartz
2. Simple two/three hands clean design, preferably no digits/numerals. Not diver, so no bezels, etc.
3. Case sizing between 38-42mm, thickness below 12mm (thinner is better)
3. Price tag below US$1000
4. Prefer European or micro brands rather than Asian brands like Seiko, Citizen or their similarities.
5. 100m WR minimum. Good salt water resistance would be the great addition too.

Appreciate all your suggestions.

Thank you.

Podpi

See less See more
#4 ·
Sinn 556i

38.5mm, 11mm thick

German made, swiss auto movement, tough as nails, (200m WR) dresses up or down nicely with leather or steel. A great all rounder overall

Should be able to find one used under $1k

Here's the one I had

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Welcome to the forum! :D (y)

Certina is a good place to start in my opinion. If you don't have a preference for mechanical movements, quartz will always be cheaper and slimmer. Certina DS-2 with the high quality Precidrive movement for example, 40mm x 9mm only, lightweight titanium, far under budget.

In the mechanical range, the Mido Multifort line is worth a closer look. Different styles available, and they tick all your boxes.

A bit off the beaten track and probably hard to find for the budget, Mühle Glashütte 29er. Comparable size and specs, great quality from a very interesting smaller brand.

Edit: Formex Essence could also be an option. A bit larger in diameter (43mm), but with the wide bezel it wears smaller. And it's only 10mm thick according to the website(!). Haven't measured it myself, though. A bit more of a statement than the others.

Edit 2: actually, I came up with two more suggestions, this time from my own collection. The Archimede Outdoor and the Triwa Humanium 39 also fit the bill.

Archimede Outdoor 41, the more toolish option, 41 x 11mm (measured), hardened steel case, antimagnetic, 200m WR, excellent accuracy because Archimede really cares for their products and does the regulation very well, it has numerals but not in the typical way. Right now, I wear it on a slim textile strap and it slips easily under the cuffs of my motorbiking leathers.

View attachment 15365316

As the name suggests, it also works perfectly for outdoor activities.

View attachment 15365322

41mm steel case Archimede in the foreground, 400'000mm steel case CMA CGM Louis Bleriot in the back.. ;)

View attachment 15365323

Second one, Triwa Humanium 39: Avaliable with quartz or Miyota 9015 automatic movement, comes from the Stockholm / Sweden based brand Triwa. The interesting thing about this watch is the case. Its metal was sourced from destructed illegal firearms from conflict regions around the world. 15% of the sales price is donated to these projects, which is great in my opinion. Only 10.8mm tall, 39.3mm in diameter, 100m WR.

View attachment 15365329

I wanted mine to look more joyful and happy, so I put it on a bright colored nato strap and sent it to Chris Alexander (thedialartist.com) to work his magic on the dial.

View attachment 15365330

But that's a different story.. ;)
Thank you very much! Embarrassed of rich choice ;)

#3 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum! :D (y)

Certina is a good place to start in my opinion. If you don't have a preference for mechanical movements, quartz will always be cheaper and slimmer. Certina DS-2 with the high quality Precidrive movement for example, 40mm x 9mm only, lightweight titanium, far under budget.

In the mechanical range, the Mido Multifort line is worth a closer look. Different styles available, and they tick all your boxes.

A bit off the beaten track and probably hard to find for the budget, Mühle Glashütte 29er. Comparable size and specs, great quality from a very interesting smaller brand.

Edit: Formex Essence could also be an option. A bit larger in diameter (43mm), but with the wide bezel it wears smaller. And it's only 10mm thick according to the website(!). Haven't measured it myself, though. A bit more of a statement than the others.

Edit 2: actually, I came up with two more suggestions, this time from my own collection. The Archimede Outdoor and the Triwa Humanium 39 also fit the bill.

Archimede Outdoor 41, the more toolish option, 41 x 11mm (measured), hardened steel case, antimagnetic, 200m WR, excellent accuracy because Archimede really cares for their products and does the regulation very well, it has numerals but not in the typical way. Right now, I wear it on a slim textile strap and it slips easily under the cuffs of my motorbiking leathers.

As the name suggests, it also works perfectly for outdoor activities.

41mm steel case Archimede in the foreground, 400'000mm steel case CMA CGM Louis Bleriot in the back.. ;)

Second one, Triwa Humanium 39: Avaliable with quartz or Miyota 9015 automatic movement, comes from the Stockholm / Sweden based brand Triwa. The interesting thing about this watch is the case. Its metal was sourced from destructed illegal firearms from conflict regions around the world. 15% of the sales price is donated to these projects, which is great in my opinion. Only 10.8mm tall, 39.3mm in diameter, 100m WR.

I wanted mine to look more joyful and happy, so I put it on a bright colored nato strap and sent it to Chris Alexander (thedialartist.com) to work his magic on the dial.

But that's a different story.. ;)

#6 ·
#8 ·
I have both a Certina DS Action Titanium quartz and a Longines Conquest. The certina is a fantastic watch. It has a great dial with sharp white hands. The contrast between dial and hands and the resulting legibility is outstanding. It has 200m WR and a screw down crown. Bracelet is an par with a $500+/- watch.
ThE conquest is an automatic with a black dial. The lume isn't super bright but with the rhodium plates hands, legibility actually makes it through the night. 300m WR with screw down crown. This watch is outstanding for the price point but hits at the upper end of your limit, which you know since you listed it. I brushed the PCL's in my bracelet and replaced the butterfly with a diver clasp (both personal preference and net necessary). Wrist shot shows bracelet before I brushed the conquest.

of the two, the longines is more flexible. The grade 2 darker tone of the titanium makes me think it would not pull off certain straps as well as the conquest, which does look good on most straps, but honestly I have not tried yet.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist
Analog watch Watch Strap Watch accessory Fashion accessory
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Strap
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Fashion accessory Wrist

#12 ·
Hamilton Jazzmaster line. Meets most or all of your criteria depending on the design - the Jazzmaster line is really varied so I'm sure you'll find something you like: Hamilton Watch - Hamilton Jazzmaster | Modern Contemporary Watches
Thank you for the suggestion.
Yes, the Jazzmaster collection has a very nice design. Unfortunately I was not able to find items that have WR100+ which is essential in my case. All Khakis are also good, but the design is different.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.