WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29,512 Posts
Oh dear - looks like we're in for a fair bit of bite-sized dumbing-down in some areas.

Fortunately, much of what predictors predict doesn't happen, and much of what does happen has never been predicted.

·
Registered
291 Posts
That list made me feel old....

However;

-I still prefer looking through a catalogue than clicking away on links on the net. Motorbike brochures, or 'what bike' type mags are far better and more satisfying. Plus you can read them on the toilet....:)

-Yellow pages was WAY better than doing a google search that gives you irrelevant results, or the wrong results, or unknowlingly, the same results. At least you could cross out things in the yellow pages if they werent any good.

-HATE being contactable 24/7. Give me the old home landline over mobiles any day. Much easier to avoid people. What happened to carrying a 10pence piece with you for emergencies(to use in phone boxes):)

-Receiving a hand written letter while on deployment, knowing your loved one has wrote it and taken the time to do so,seeing their handwriting, easily beats some quick half arsed email with poor grammar and all this c u l8er, luv ya type talk.

-Commercials/Adverts. [edited by moderator] pain in the backside. The new generation are lucky they dont have to put up with those. Always right at the good bit too. And often either side of the news or godforbid the weather, groan.

-Blockbuster; Lucky they wont have to experience the pain of rushing to get a new release to see all copies 'out', see someone take the one you want off the shelf(!!!), or worst of all and super infuriating, getting home and putting a video on play to see the ending and credits scrolling because the last person hasnt rewound it!!o|

Most of all I feel sorry for the younger generation not growing up through the 80s run of Arnie and Sly classics. Films are just over and forgotten so quick these days. I doubt people will appreciate Aliens and Predator like we do.

Watch wise I still cant see how people JUST use their phones for the time and alarms-dont they run the risk of running out of battery power/being broken/stolen/left somewhere easily... Always enjoy enducating people on the virtues of G-shocks (waterprooof, solar powered, indestructable etc etc). Guess that wont change.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Most people I know view watches as obsolete. In fact, if you ask someone the time, even if they are wearing a watch, they will sometimes pull their phone out of their pocket to tell you. Ridiculous, but that's the habit people get into. Truth be told, watches are now much less important than they were before cell phones. That doesn't stop a lot of people from appreciating them, however. It is much easier to look at your wrist to know the time than to pull a phone out of your pocket and then put it back. That's why wrist watches replaced pocket watches in the first place.

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
they will never have to adjust the dual aerials on a tv set to get good reception.
How about moving the channel dial a little in between notches as they wore out.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Most people I know view watches as obsolete. In fact, if you ask someone the time, even if they are wearing a watch, they will sometimes pull their phone out of their pocket to tell you. Ridiculous, but that's the habit people get into. Truth be told, watches are now much less important than they were before cell phones. That doesn't stop a lot of people from appreciating them, however. It is much easier to look at your wrist to know the time than to pull a phone out of your pocket and then put it back. That's why wrist watches replaced pocket watches in the first place.
wrist watches were actually for the women until soldiers started using them to save pocket space for more important stuff like munitions and rations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts