WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
  • Hello WatchUSeek! We are hosting an Ask Me Anything with Ian Schon of Schon Horology and Schon DSNG beginning on Tuesday, February 23rd at Noon, EST and closing on Thursday, February 25th at Noon EST. If you don't know of him, Ian is a desginer maker and was a senior product designer at IDEO. He is an engineer, designer and machinist who manufacturers his own watches, and also pens! If you've ever wanted to ask a question directly to a one-man watch maker, don't miss out! You can find the AMA here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello All

After narrowing down my choice of Breitling's to: Superocean, Superocean Chrono and Chrono Avenger.
I decided I would like a steel strap and ideally a black face.

I went to Goldsmiths to see if there were any in the sale, I then had a look in Harrods and by a massive stroke of luck, they had the Superocean Chrono in the sale. It was a Blue face with silver coloured dials and a steel strap, it was reduced to £1,380 so I decided to bite the bullet and buy it. I have to admit I did prefer the Black face version however it was not available in the sale. I then realised that the black face version was not worth the extra £700 - £800.

I also looked at a couple of websites at the watch I just bought and even on the websites its more than I paid for it in Harrods.

I am very pleased with the watch and it looks so clean.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Congratulations! Wear it in good health. :-!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congrats. You paid a great price. Dont even think about it. The blue is a beauty. Im just like you and prefer black but on the superocean the blue is just as beautiful. In fact on the superocean most of the other dial colors are beautiful so its really hard to narrow it down. The style of the watch allows for many color configs and all look splendid. Anyway enjoy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any way of changing sweeping hand motion to second hand motion?

Thanks for your opinions. Just a quick question, is there a way of getting the second hand to go by the second rather than sweeping motion?

Cheers

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,939 Posts
Re: Any way of changing sweeping hand motion to second hand motion?

Just a quick answer, no. You have a mechanical chronograph. The gearing is fixed. The sweep motion of the hand is one of the movements highlight features. If you want a stepping second hand then consider a quartz movement.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Don't do it! Quartz movement? Whatever next... :)

You have a great watch - next time I go Breitling shopping, you must come with me...

FYI I have the standard Superocean and a Navitimer.

You chose wisely - wear in good health and with pride!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Insuring the beast ;o)

My next question is what company do you reccomend I insure the watch with? I am sure we have house insurance and things, but I live at home and I would rather insure the watch seperatly.

Thanks
Colin

·
Banned
3,514 Posts
Just get it (seperatly) insured on your house ins.

I make sure that mine are insured when I wear them out of the house just in case I meet some nasty person.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Nice one Colin! Welcome to the club. :-!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Am I missing some paperwork?

Sorry to keep posting questions.

I have looked in the Breitling box and I have two items in there, the warranty book which is stamped and a yellow card which says about the Breitling case in Bakelite.

Is there not supposed to be a certificate thing saying about the Chronometre or something?

If anyone else owns a Superocean Chrono could they let me know what they recieved with it?

Thanks

·
Breitling Forum Moderator
8,939 Posts
Re: Am I missing some paperwork?

Hmmm.... It seem you are down one COSC attestation certificate and the instruction book. I think a trip back to Harrods to investigate their whereabouts is on the cards. I'm sure the sale staff will understand your need for these documents. The missing docs also may be the reason for the solid discount you enjoyed. A little phone work first might give the staff a bit of time hunting down the missing items behind the counter if they still have them. Good luck and by the way we never think it other then natural that questions are asked by members.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks pal. I phoned Harrods today and spoke to a very helpful lady who has contacted Breitling and they are going to send one out to Harrods and I said I will pick it up, can take up to 3 weeks though.

They did offer to post it to me, but I dont mind collecting it.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks pal. I phoned Harrods today and spoke to a very helpful lady who has contacted Breitling and they are going to send one out to Harrods and I said I will pick it up, can take up to 3 weeks though.

They did offer to post it to me, but I dont mind collecting it.
Colin,

When you get the COSC certificate make sure the Montre No (French for Watch No) is the same as the serial number on the back of your watch and on your warranty - all paperwork must match. Here's an example of a certificate:

You should also be given a manual - if they don't have it they will have to get you one.

It would also be nice to get a copy of the "Chronolog", the Breitling catalogue. This comes out around November each year dated for the following year; the latest is "Chronolog 07" that came out in November 2006. If they don't have any left ask them to contact TWG (Breitling UK distributors) to get one posted out to you. TWG are very happy to do this.

Enjoy :-!

Cheers,

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the COSC Certificate now ;o)

I saw a B1 in Goldsmith's and they still selling them at RRP price, thought they would have been reduced. May go for the Red Arrow one then ;o)

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
Buying a B1 is a MUST !!! ;-)

BTW, congrats with your Superocean; I have a blue B1 - due to the AR coating it sometimes looks like a black dial....:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts