WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son used his graduation money to buy a 42mm Apple watch. I tried to convince him to let me pick him out a nice automatic watch, but he was not interested. I have been giving him my hand-me-down El-Cheapos, so in his words "Dad, I already have a bunch of old man watches". So, it arrived yesterday...and I must say I like it.

It looks great. Apple did a great job on the design and appearance. Bands are cheap and easy to swap out (it has a cool slide out feature). So from a looks perspective, it is really nice. Messing around with the functionality, most of it is just eye candy, but it can be configured with moon phase, chrono, power reserve and a bunch of other stuff. Anyway, I'm not trying to be a fan-boy, but for $300 I think it's worth a go. My only concern is about durability. I know iPhone glass is delicate...I wonder if the watch glass is more durable.

Anyone else have an Apple watch? Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
4,043 Posts
I've thought about the same recently. As of now, they don't have features that mean much to me, but I'm sure they will over time. For example, I really don't care about emails and texts on my watch. I, for one, think smart watches can co-exist with mechanicals.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
I don't wear mine because it's a bad watch. You can't glance at it to tell the time you have to make an obvious physical gesture. You also have to charge it everyday.
The notifications are nice but that's about it.

·
Registered
977 Posts
They are a nice distraction for the first few days or so. After that, you will go back to your mechanicals. I tinker around with mine for a few days until I kinda missed my Sub C and went back to my mechanicals.

The Apple watch have been in my sock drawer ever since.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
No, smartwatch is not worth $100 let alone $300. For a $300 you can get one of the best quartz watch on the market from Citizen, Casio or Seiko.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
It's ugly as sin. If you want a nice smart watch, there are much better ones out there. The only reason it outsells other smart watches is because it's Apple.

·
Registered
28,501 Posts
I could see how they could be fun. But methinks in 5 years, it will be in the same dresser drawer as your Gameboy...

·
Registered
177 Posts
I wore mine for a solid 8 months. With the exception of getting your texts on your wrist (which was fantastic, I loved leaving my phone in my pocket) I didn't have much use for it. Sold it about a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
133 Posts
Do yourself a favor and steal your son's for a week or two if he'll let you.

I wore one for a few weeks and found that I just couldn't extract enough value out of it to justify purchasing one (the one I was wearing I got from work).

Try before you buy so you don't waste 3 bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's ugly as sin. If you want a nice smart watch, there are much better ones out there. The only reason it outsells other smart watches is because it's Apple.
I don't think Apple ever claimed to be the most advanced or have the most features...their big advantage is intuitiveness. I've tried using windows phones and they are, in my opinion, unnecessarily complicated.

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,793 Posts
I rarely wear my other watches anymore. When I do, I usually miss my AW at some point.

You'll find more thorough discussion in the Apple Watch subforum.

·
Registered
8,149 Posts
They are a nice distraction for the first few days or so. After that, you will go back to your mechanicals. I tinker around with mine for a few days until I kinda missed my Sub C and went back to my mechanicals.

The Apple watch have been in my sock drawer ever since.

It's nothing more than a silly gimmick.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I don't think Apple ever claimed to be the most advanced or have the most features...their big advantage is intuitiveness. I've tried using windows phones and they are, in my opinion, unnecessarily complicated.
The Gear S2 is much more intuitive than the Apple Watch and Android Wear you don't really control, the software does everything for you, kind of like Google. So the Apple Watch is probably the least intuitive watch by far.

You are right that the iPhone and iPad are pretty easy to use though, and Mac OSX might be too if I ever get used to it. I am too used to Windows even though Windows 10 kind of sucks vs Windows 7.

·
Banned
110 Posts
I've looked at Apple Watch and played around but I just couldn't understand why you'd want to look at things on a much much smaller screen. For me, my iPhone 5 is the perfect size screen.

Also it'd be super annoying to have to charge both my phone and watch everyday.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Moved to our Apple Watch Forum.
Well, didn't really want to move it out of the Public forum...but since I'm here, how does everyone like their Apple watch? Is the glass tougher than the ultra-fragile iPhone glass?

·
Registered
testing testing something pizza
23,793 Posts
I got the sapphire-glass SS model, and it's been good so far. Its ceramic back seems just as scratch-proof, and doesn't show any marks from clicking onto its charger.

Because the glass edge is exposed, treat it like you would treat other watches with exposed edges.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I've had mine since Xmas. I wear it to work 2-3 days a week. I work in a heavy truck dealership and usually bang my watch into a shelf or racking a couple of times a day. I've got some nice dings in my watches from this. So far the AW has held up nicely. Mine is the SS version with sapphire front. In regards to practically I'm like some of the other posters, I did not think I would like or use it a lot but it is slowly winning me over. It's nice to be able to glance and see if an email or call needs immediate attention or can wait without pulling phone out of pocket especially if your carrying parts etc. I'm an avid runner and it won't replace my TomTom Spark GPS watch. Why take a phone and a watch when the TT does it all including streaming music to BT headphones. I do however use the Runkeeper app to track walks. I also use the fitness app to track indoor workouts.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I cant see myself wearing an Apple watch, and this is coming from a person who loves his Macbook Pro. It's too trendy for me, and I dont see the point. Why would I want my watch to do what my phone does? Read texts on my watch? Not interested.

The only way it would be interesting is if I could get live stock quotes on the watch. Would help sitting through meetings while the market is open...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts