WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy likes watches. He actually wants a Citizen satellite watch of some sort, but I'm not going to get that for him. Both my bil and sister just graduated from eye ball school and are doctors now, so I'll let him get the citizen on his own as an achievement. I thought about getting him in to autos, maybe a Khaki Field. Thoughts?

·
Registered
13,960 Posts
if he wants a Citizen Satellite, get him a Citizen Satellite watch.

Reactions: OvrSteer

·
Registered
36,279 Posts
Learned a long time ago that there are many guys who just don’t “get” mechanical watches.

Ever since they wore a reliable, accurate quartz, that is all they want.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
How about consumables like a nice bottle of scotch or bourbon. Under $100 is still a high-end splurge and can be enjoyed together.

If you know exactly what he likes and wants but get him something else, you may be inadvertently sticking him with something he doesn't want but too polite to sell.

·
Registered
9,116 Posts
All you will do is introduce awkwardness into a situation at his expense. It is highly unlikely that whatever you think is right for him is something that he actually appreciates, but will likely also feel compelled to wear it at least some of the time in your presence, while all the long hoping it never happened, or was something else. Watches are just about never a good gift, unless you know specifically that the recipient indeed wants/needs one, and that your choice is close to their preferences.

·
Registered
102 Posts
"Hey honey, Uncle Bob is coming over for dinner. Remember that god awful painting he gave us for our wedding? We gotta get it out the basement. We can put it back in the basement after he leaves."

Get him cash. Tell him to put it towards the watch he wants.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Buying someone a watch is about the same as buying someone shoes and hoping they fit and are liked, it might work out but there's a big chance it won't. Only exception is if you're close and/or REALLY know their style and what they want.

If you're determined, a solid alternative to a satt. citizen is a solar/atomic model, still super accurate and much cheaper.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Really nice gesture of you. But I would recommend getting him something else entirely, maybe a $100 airline gift certificate to take a vacation. If they are in residency or doing a fellowship, their superiors will be sporting the standard Rolex, Omega, or Panerai. Imho: First choice, don't get it. Second choice, a kitschy watch that fits his lifestyle, tool watch, or a low priced classic - apple watch/ garmin Fenix/ seiko 5/ seiko diver, if you can stretch your budget, a SARB Seiko. Ophthalmologists median salaries are over 200k. Me personally, if I don't think my brother in law is actually going to wear it every day or if it's not a timepiece that he'll actually hold onto or a gateway watch, I wouldn't get it. Given the choice, I would definitely spend the money on my sister instead. Women in professions traditionally dominated by men often end up buying time pieces to show that they're here to play too. I would blow the bank for my little sister. Plus if you get her something nice, he'll have to step up his game too.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Get him a Royal Oak or a Nautilus.

·
Registered
745 Posts
A Patek Calatrava would be a perfect introduction to mechanical watches. Later you can give him a grand complication!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I think it's a great idea. Especially if you know he's already into watches. Someone already mentioned it but ask your sister if she knows what he does and doesn't like in watches. And I think getting him an auto is a great, especially if he doesn't already have one. Something about diversity and spice of life or something like that?? The Field Khaki is a nice choice but I really like the Laco Fliegers too.
Good luck and I'd like to know what you decide on.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Watches are so personal, it's tough getting one he will actually want to use. Maybe something related to a hobby...Good luck.

or a coffee mug :)
opthamologist_coffee_mug-r3b694c1e10184243a3fdcf5f6420b157_2wn1h_8byvr_307.jpg

1 - 18 of 18 Posts