WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone done or seen pics of a U1 that has been DLC'ed, case and bracelet? I'm thinking about doing this since the U1 Tempus and all black U1 look great, yet are very rare and pricey on the used market. Plus, DLC should hold up better than the PVD used by Sinn.

It would cost a little over $600 to do the whole thing. Do you guys think this is a good idea? What do you think it would do to the resale value?

Thanks

·
WatchUSeek Administrator
39,226 Posts
Has anyone done or seen pics of a U1 that has been DLC'ed, case and bracelet? I'm thinking about doing this since the U1 Tempus and all black U1 look great, yet are very rare and pricey on the used market. Plus, DLC should hold up better than the PVD used by Sinn.

It would cost a little over $600 to do the whole thing. Do you guys think this is a good idea? What do you think it would do to the resale value?

Thanks
It would look great but I thought DLC would rub off anywhere it came into contact with itself, like on the bracelet.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would look great but I thought DLC would rub off anywhere it came into contact with itself, like on the bracelet.
I've never heard of that problem? PVD bracelets work, so why would DLC be different? I guess I'll have to look into this.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Dshap!
Do you already own an U1?

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
U2s?

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
The PVD layer has a real world hardness of around 500 Vickers, unless I remember totally wrongly.
A WUS member had a Sinn tested in lab conditions about 12 months ago.

·
6,880 Posts
Do it! You wont recoup much on the resale market but who cares if you plan on keeping the watch.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
It is an interesting experiment, it may work, it may not.
The coloured parts on the bezel will need removing, but I am not sure if they can be coloured in again. The same with the luminous triangle.

Is DLC not shiny?
If yes, how will it look like with a matt black dial?

OP, if you still choose to go ahead and do it, maybe you should consider redoing the dial.
It would look good with a fully lumed dial.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It is an interesting experiment, it may work, it may not.
The coloured parts on the bezel will need removing, but I am not sure if they can be coloured in again. The same with the luminous triangle.

Is DLC not shiny?
If yes, how will it look like with a matt black dial?

OP, if you still choose to go ahead and do it, maybe you should consider redoing the dial.
It would look good with a fully lumed dial.
The bezel can be repainted.

The DLC will look like this (pic is from Matt.wu)-

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Ok, a matt finish.

·
Banned
21,244 Posts
Yes. Absolutely!

·
Registered
341 Posts
The PVD on the U2 will not scratch easily, if at all with normal wear. Unless you are doing things that would scratch any watch...

I personally would buy the watch already coated, or buy a U2 coated... the metal is hardened on the whole watch, which seems to make the finish a bit harder.

I wore mine while working at my desk and it didn't even get the typical swirl marks on the clasp.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts