WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking about getting myself an Orient Ray or Mako, but the one thing that makes me unsure is that if I will wear it as much as I need to so it dont stop running.

I cant wear the Orient at work because it will probably break the first week, so I got a G-Shock G9000 for that.

I will probably wear the watch for about 3-4 hours each day Mondag-Friday, and maybe about 8-10 hours on Saturdays and Sundays. Is this enough to make it run constantly or do I have to set it several times a week?

Its such a beautiful watch and I really want one, but I dont want it to end up in the drawer and not being used.

I hope some of you experts can help me with this before I decide :-s

/Daniel

·
Banned
3,937 Posts
It doesn't take but 30 seconds to set an automatic watch. Not sure why people seem to be put-off by having to take a few seconds to set it. Are people that lazy these days? I have to set ALL of my watches every time I put one on. The 30 seconds it takes to do so has never made me late for anything. Lol

Get the watch. Enjoy it. Yes, you'll have to set it, but what's 30 seconds in a 24 hour day?

Sent while doing a burnout.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
I have three automatics and no winder. Part of my morning ritual is to pick a watch, shake it a little bit then set the time, day and date. Then I'm all ready to go. ---Gawain

·
Registered
611 Posts
Got one mako pepsi and another black one on the way! Setting the time is no biggie!

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
It doesn't take but 30 seconds to set an automatic watch. Not sure why people seem to be put-off by having to take a few seconds to set it. Are people that lazy these days? I have to set ALL of my watches every time I put one on. The 30 seconds it takes to do so has never made me late for anything. Lol

Get the watch. Enjoy it. Yes, you'll have to set it, but what's 30 seconds in a 24 hour day?

Sent while doing a burnout.
This is why I never understand why more manufacturers don't make watches without date functions. To set the watch to the correct date, you need to know what the date is. So you don't need your watch to tell you. Best to have a watch with no date, but to look it up as though you were going to set the date. Then you just know the date. ;)

·
Registered
518 Posts
I think a 3-4H usage (normal movement) will be enough them going for the next 20 hours. Maybe just before you take them off, you can give a few gentle twirls to wind up the spring further. Setting them is all the more fun though...!

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Well, sometimes I forget during the day what the date is......... that's when I glance at my watch to make sure I scribe the proper date. There are only 7 days, but up to 31 dates.

This is why I never understand why more manufacturers don't make watches without date functions. To set the watch to the correct date, you need to know what the date is. So you don't need your watch to tell you. Best to have a watch with no date, but to look it up as though you were going to set the date. Then you just know the date. ;)

·
Registered
1,263 Posts
Well, sometimes I forget during the day what the date is......... that's when I glance at my watch to make sure I scribe the proper date. There are only 7 days, but up to 31 dates.
Yes, me too sometimes. If I do, that's when I ask someone. Or look at my diary. Or my phone. Or my computer screen. It doesn't happen often enough for me to want it on my watch. But I know many others have the opposite view (including most manufacturers...) :(

·
Banned
276 Posts
When I pick up my Orient Ray and it is not running, I simply throw it against the wall in complete and utter disgust. When I pick it back up it is running. Simple.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I own both and I promise you that 4 hours of wear time per day is sufficient to keep them running for the other 20 hours of the day. I think it takes about 6-8 hours to fully wind the mainspring with normal wear and my Mako has run for up to 48 hours in the watch box.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Oh well, you all made me do it! :)

I just ordered a black Ray on rubber and a darkbrown leatherstrap. The worst thing that can happen is that I only wear the watch on the weekends, but thats not so bad after all ;)

Thanks everyone!

Reactions: Sambation

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What are you doing to your watches that's killing them? You may beat the Ray up, but it may suprise you.
I work with electrics on the railway. The watch will get scratched, muddy and bumped into things. And I prefer a digital watch at work since it happens sometimes that I have to use the stopwatch, and the illuminator is great when working at night.

Hopefully I get the Ray before this weekend :)
Ordered 2 Nato straps at the same time. One in darkbrown leather and one black/grey.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts