WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to have occasion to buy my grail (a Breguet 7147) for my 40th in 2021. The plan is to buy while traveling in Europe. I realize this probably isn't the way to maximize the savings overall, but because this is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for me I wanted to do it in a memorable fashion.

Breguet's history is obviously complicated, with AL himself being from Switzerland/Prussia, founding his empire in France, only to have it eventually go back to Switzerland. With that being said, would there be any significant difference in the asking price for a Breguet in Switzerland (as the country of manufacture) over, say, their flagship boutique in Paris? For the experience, I would prefer to purchase in France, but if there is a meaningful difference in cost I would at least explore the idea of doing so in Switzerland.

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I am hoping to have occasion to buy my grail (a Breguet 7147) for my 40th in 2021. The plan is to buy while traveling in Europe. I realize this probably isn't the way to maximize the savings overall, but because this is a once-in-a-lifetime purchase for me I wanted to do it in a memorable fashion.

Breguet's history is obviously complicated, with AL himself being from Switzerland/Prussia, founding his empire in France, only to have it eventually go back to Switzerland. With that being said, would there be any significant difference in the asking price for a Breguet in Switzerland (as the country of manufacture) over, say, their flagship boutique in Paris? For the experience, I would prefer to purchase in France, but if there is a meaningful difference in cost I would at least explore the idea of doing so in Switzerland.

Thank you!
I think a better memory will be getting the Bruegel 7147 up to 45% off MSRP in the used or grey market. You now have $9000 left over to get another extremely nice watch on the used or grey market.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
At a minimum you will have to pay 20% VAT in France. If you reside outside the EU, you should be able to recover the VAT by filing for a refund, but as with all bureaucracies the key word is "should".

The more important consideration is likely the availability of the Breguet you want. Breguet produces in very small quantities so it is not guaranteed that any watch you want will be available for purchase at a dealer or boutique.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, everyone. I'm not interested in going the used or grey market. I'm fully aware of how silly it is, but one of my driving motivations is to have my name inscribed in the Breguet records, and in order to do that I would have to go new and official.

I'm based in the States so I "should" (to borrow from the previous post) be able to get a refund of VAT, but I would be on the hook for customs coming back.

I realize I will be paying a premium for the experience, but I'm willing to do that. I guess my only question would be, in the universe of overpaying, would there be any functional difference for a US buyer to purchase in France versus Switzerland?

Edited to add:

Looking over my post, I think I already have my answer. If I'm doing this for the records and history, I'd have to do this in Paris (since that the records are kept in the Breguet Museum there, and that's where much of the history is). Thanks for helping my talk it out.

I know it might be viewed as needlessly spending more than I have to, but this is important to me and my wife (who is an enthusiastic supporter of this idea)

Reactions: SethThomas

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it has high value to you, it cannot be described as unnecessary.

It's far, far beyond my means, but the 7147 is IMO about as close to perfect, for a dress watch, as exists. I wish you joy with it.

AND WE WANT PICTURES!
If I am actually able to achieve it, I will be sure to post them obnoxiously often! LOL (it's far beyond my means too tbh...)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you are set on getting it in Paris, you have plenty of time before you go, so there should be no reason that you can’t pre-order it. That way you get around any waiting time and you can ensure that it is available when you go.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Oh the days when one could save substantially buying timepieces in Switzerland. I remember my first nice purchase. 1982, Lucerne Switzerland, a stainless Rolex sub/date for $742.00. It is a memory I'll always cherish and started me down the road to this hobby. I say if you have the budget to cover the additional cost of the "experience" go for it !!

·
Registered
584 Posts

Thank you!
From my experience when living in Paris (I am French), the brand boutiques offer very little discounts, but the retail stores (like Bucherer) carry the same brands and can usually do 12% to 15% off MSRP based on the model. You can probably even get to 20% on certain brands.

The boutique could possibly do 3%, but usually they are more keen to offer straps and goodies for free rather than lowering their own prices. Just my experience, maybe it has changed since then but that is basically what happened when I bought my Omega from the main Omega boutique (and it is a Swatch group policy as far as I am aware). The champagne is good however and the branded wallets, pens, and card holders are fun items.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you are set on getting it in Paris, you have plenty of time before you go, so there should be no reason that you can’t pre-order it. That way you get around any waiting time and you can ensure that it is available when you go.
Good idea, thanks!

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From my experience when living in Paris (I am French), the brand boutiques offer very little discounts, but the retail stores (like Bucherer) carry the same brands and can usually do 12% to 15% off MSRP based on the model. You can probably even get to 20% on certain brands.

The boutique could possibly do 3%, but usually they are more keen to offer straps and goodies for free rather than lowering their own prices. Just my experience, maybe it has changed since then but that is basically what happened when I bought my Omega from the main Omega boutique (and it is a Swatch group policy as far as I am aware). The champagne is good however and the branded wallets, pens, and card holders are fun items.
Something to bear in mind, thank you. I see Bucherer is an AD per Breguet's website, so a purchase from there should qualify for entering my name into the records.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Something to bear in mind, thank you. I see Bucherer is an AD per Breguet's website, so a purchase from there should qualify for entering my name into the records.
Honestly, all the official channels that are not directly Swatch Group should be able to give you all the "experience" of buying a high end watch, with an additional discount. A lady at Bucherer gave me a 3-tomes series of books about the history of Breguet and interviews with famous past and present Breguet executives which was fairly interesting. I didn't even buy anything from them on that day.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I purchased my Breguet from a US AD last week, and included in the package is the card which you can fill in and mail to Breguet in Switzerland. It even includes the envelope with the address already typed. All you need is the international stamp. You bet I filled it out and mailed it in the moment I had a chance. It's pretty cool knowing your name is in the same book as all of the famous people in history. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Honestly, all the official channels that are not directly Swatch Group should be able to give you all the "experience" of buying a high end watch, with an additional discount. A lady at Bucherer gave me a 3-tomes series of books about the history of Breguet and interviews with famous past and present Breguet executives which was fairly interesting. I didn't even buy anything from them on that day.
I've had some very kind AD sales reps give me things as well. It's something to think about for sure, although there's something ineffable about getting what will likely be my only high-end watch at the flagship store beneath the museum (even if I pay through the nose for it).

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I purchased my Breguet from a US AD last week, and included in the package is the card which you can fill in and mail to Breguet in Switzerland. It even includes the envelope with the address already typed. All you need is the international stamp. You bet I filled it out and mailed it in the moment I had a chance. It's pretty cool knowing your name is in the same book as all of the famous people in history. Feel free to send me a private message if you have any questions.
Congrats on your new pickup! I saw it in your thread, a real stunner. The prospect of me being in the records is extremely exciting to me as a lover of history (it's how I got into Breguet in the first place).

I appreciate the kind offer as well--I may have some questions as I get closer to the big date (a little over a year of savings to go).

·
Registered
428 Posts
If I were in your shoes and had to choose between getting the watch in France or Switzerland I would defenitly get the watch from the Breguet Geneva boutique. I’ve been there before and it is defenitly a wonderful experience. Just keep one thing in mind, if you are traveling from France to Switzerland to pick the watch and then traveling back to France to catch your flight home, then make sure to submit the tax return form at the Swiss-French boarder as Switzerland is not part of the European Union. If you buy the watch from France you can submit your tax return for at any EU airport no problem, but Switzerland is a special case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Actium

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've had some very kind AD sales reps give me things as well. It's something to think about for sure, although there's something ineffable about getting what will likely be my only high-end watch at the flagship store beneath the museum (even if I pay through the nose for it).
You can make an appointment to see the museum on the second floor of the Place Vendome flagship boutique without making a purchase. The museum is amazing and I highly recommend it. If the choice is between it and the nearby Louvre, I would go for Breguet :) Someone will give you a guided tour, which is why they use appointments.

If you can buy the watch from an AD in Paris with a bit of a discount and see the museum, wouldn't your experience still be great? If I recall correctly, AL Breguet's workshop was not at Place Vendome, so that location itself is not historic. He did work in Paris, however, so the city is connected to ALB. Looks like you get in the official owner records as long as the purchase is from an authorized channel.

It's worth looking up what the cross-country tax refund will get you (-20%?). Perhaps the price difference in buying from boutique and getting a tax refund vs other channels (friendly AD with discount) will be justifiable. Either way, if you can get it in Paris that would be awesome!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Oh the days when one could save substantially buying timepieces in Switzerland. I remember my first nice purchase. 1982, Lucerne Switzerland, a stainless Rolex sub/date for $742.00. It is a memory I'll always cherish and started me down the road to this hobby. I say if you have the budget to cover the additional cost of the "experience" go for it !!
If someone invents a time machine, I can see clearly what I should do! Anecdotes like this are always make me wonder why _I_ didn't do that so many years ago!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts