WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for owners inpu ton this vintage model. What price should I pay for one. How does it compare to the current model, DW-5600E in size etc.?

Thanks for any help, thoughts, details etc on this older model! :-!

Kev

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
If your looking for older models then you can go for like an hero as dw-5200 or dw-5600 or dw-5700 and only dw-5000 thru dw-5500 got half hour beep but dw-5300 don't have half hour beep and those models are like over hundred.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
I have also thought about acquiring an old square or two. But every time one comes up, I'm left wondering what is to be gained over a DW-5000 or DW-5700 reissue. The reissues are pretty darned sweet looking,and you get EL instead of a tiny bulb.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Probably a 5600E or a screwback reissue is the sensible way to go, but as you know these things are not always rational decisions...

The old 5 series are a piece of watch history and should be enjoyed and worn as such.

If you can use the dual-time feature on the 5600C, that's a plus. Or the pretty useless 'REM' feature. These watches have no exotic functions.

They are all good. If you want a 'beater' though, stick to the 5600E.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts
If you want a piece of history, get a 5600C. If you want that historic feel with a bit of mod-cons, get a 5600 reissue. You can't beat a great screwback. I love my reissue.

Expect to spend around 25,000-40,000 Yen on a classic 5600C, depending on condition.

For a reissue, around 14,000 Yen.

·
Registered
399 Posts
If your pacient and "lucky" you could find a 5200 or a 5600C that needs band and bezel but has good glass still for anywhere from $20 to $80 depending on how its described and how many people are bidding at the time.

If you have the band and bezel (even if you dont) thats probably another $20-$40 depending and then finding a seal for it can be a challenge (i almost gurantee you will want/need to replace the main o-ring).

I LOVE my screwbacks, I havent got a single G that isnt a screwback and I doubt I ever will (except maybe a gulfman or a fish, I like the moon/tide function).

If your going to spend the money on a watch anyway I dont think you would be dissapointed at all by getting one of these vintage models. Unless your hung up on the "history" of the models the reissues are very nice with some small upgrades and still a screwback. A little more available also..... and the little light is really something to get used to if you havent had one in a while.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I'll advocate for the vintage models. The 5600C comes up every week on ebay (several of them do) and you'll pay $25-150 depending on condition and competition. New bezels/bands are available on ebay or from EAI or PCP and they're cheap, less than 25 bucks at the top end. The C models are all steel and feel solid unlike the plastic, (resin), models that are the reissue. That's my 2 pennies. The new models have an EL light but that's about the advantage as far as I can see. But then, I don't use the countdown timer, etc.
Get the vintage model. Stand out from the crowd.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts