WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Im back again searching for my next target. After going about bothering many ADs trying on watches without buying, I have finally set my eyes on GMT master II Red/blue.

I came into this second hand watch jeweller to try on it and immediately fell in love with it. Partly because the size of the case which I start to be comfortable in.

I also feel that the color combo is the best amongs all gmt (black/black, red/black, blue/black)

My question is, what to look out for when buying this particular watch. Is there a specific edition that is more valuable than others? I'm willing to spend 4-7k depending on conditions.

Please point me in the right direction!

Also, I heard rumors that rolex is gonna issue a 60th anniversary cerachrome red/blue gmt next year. Is this true? Should I wait for it?

·
Registered
60 Posts
You want a 16710. It is discontinued and any rumors of reissue are pure speculation. You will easily be able to find one in your price range. It's a great watch!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Model 1675 is considered a vintage model and is quite popular. If you like the older vintage look you should check it out. But it lacks the quickset date feature. There are also pepsi bezel inserts in 16700 and 16750 models. If you want something a little newer with the quick set function you'll want the 16710. That's the one I have. I just had mine serviced and this is what it looks like right now. You should be able to find many models in your price range. Also, only Roelx knows what they will issue next year. Rumors are just that. We won't know until Rolex themselves tell us. And if they did issue a red/blue cerachrome bezel it would be out of your price range. The current BLNR version is going for around $8500 in the secondary market and the red/blue would be slightly more than that. Good luck with you search.

Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Blue Fashion accessory

·
Banned
10,075 Posts
I don't know a thing about used Rolex pricing.

You may find this helpful in making a decision: GMT Master History .

Good luck and all the best.

The saddest thing I can imagine is to get used to luxury.
- Charlie Chaplin

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Model 1675 is considered a vintage model and is quite popular. If you like the older vintage look you should check it out. But it lacks the quickset date feature. There are also pepsi bezel inserts in 16700 and 16750 models. If you want something a little newer with the quick set function you'll want the 16710. That's the one I have. I just had mine serviced and this is what it looks like right now. You should be able to find many models in your price range. Also, only Roelx knows what they will issue next year. Rumors are just that. We won't know until Rolex themselves tell us. And if they did issue a red/blue cerachrome bezel it would be out of your price range. The current BLNR version is going for around $8500 in the secondary market and the red/blue would be slightly more than that. Good luck with you search.

View attachment 1324196
Thats a beautiful watch!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i would stomp on an old lady and push a baby out the way whenever this guy really comes out
Is that the ceramic one coming out next year?

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
it's a photoshop job... i wish it would come out next year.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Nice job on the pic.

I agree, if this happens it will be a popular model.

Nicely understated by me wouldn't you say?
Yes. Nicely understated.

I wonder, if it should appear, what the msrp or the dealer-added premium might be? I imagine it'll be more than the BLRN.

·
Rolex / Tudor
14,636 Posts
Yes. Nicely understated.

I wonder, if it should appear, what the msrp or the dealer-added premium might be? I imagine it'll be more than the BLRN.
BLNR

I personally would get an early 2000s model with drilled-through lug holes and SELs. That would be a 16710.

I do have a 16710 with a coke bezel, a 16700 with a pepsi bezel and a new 116710BLNR, and the 16710 is my preference.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
BLNR

I personally would get an early 2000s model with drilled-through lug holes and SELs. That would be a 16710.

I do have a 16710 with a coke bezel, a 16700 with a pepsi bezel and a new 116710BLNR, and the 16710 is my preference.
Yep. BLNR....typo.....

·
Registered
101 Posts
That's exactly what I did and I am incredibly happy with it. Super Luminova dial glows like a torch, and the lug holes maintain the vintage tool watch look.

Analog watch Watch Watch accessory Strap Fashion accessory

I found mine at a pawn shop of all places. The good thing about a 16710 GMT is it has a very distinctive movement that the fake community has not been able to replicate. Makes it much easier to verify the authenticity of the watch when you can't take it for authentication. The tell is that the hour hand is the lowest one in the hand stack and it jumps hours one the second stem position eventually semi quick setting the date at midnight. That plus the smooth feel Rolexes have when winding ensures you are at least getting a real 3185/6 movement. There are other things to look for like the position of the crown guards, direction the date rotates, date magnification, shape of GMT hand, and the appearance of the hands and dial. Do your homework and fake GMTs are easy to spot.

·
Banned
6,316 Posts
Or get a new one from an AD...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts