WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello folks. I'm a long time lurker and finally decided to join. In addition to motorcycles, I have now found a new drug calling for my greenbacks...Watches!

I currently own:
-2006 Super Avenger that i bought new from and AD back in 2006 that I no longer wear
-2017 Navitimer World that I bought new also from an AD
-2017 Omega planet ocean 8900 that gets most of my wrist time.

I'm ready to sell all three. I have a new love affair with the Seadweller red, 216570 polar explorer, and Blue PO 8900. I may add a white date just or white omega hour vision as a dress watch somewhere down the line.

I wanted to know if any of you guys switch from the planet ocean 8900 to the new Seadweller Red and what were your thoughts. I currently have a 6.7 wrist and like the proportions of the 8900 but I may have to buy the seadweller without trying it on.

I wanted to attach pics of my currents but it says my "attachment limit has been reached." I'm. It sure what that's about. This is my first post.

-Shawn

·
Registered
12,061 Posts
The new Rolex Sea-Dweller sure is a beauty!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very nice! I'm definitely going to flip my black po8900 for the blue after I get my hands on the seadweller. What is your wrist size? Do you find that the seadweller wears larger or smaller than the PO?

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
Very nice! I'm definitely going to flip my black po8900 for the blue after I get my hands on the seadweller. What is your wrist size? Do you find that the seadweller wears larger or smaller than the PO?
6.75 to 7
On bracelet the PO looks a little bit smaller due to the new endlink design (drops down almost immediately), but PO has a flatter caseback so the "foot print" on the wrist feels a tad larger.. and PO is slightly heavier when both are sized to my wrist... so overall I would say SD wears smaller though it might look bigger.
confusing explanation, but that's how I feel. :)

·
Registered
20,935 Posts
The SD43 just isn’t for me. As much as me from a few years ago may have welcomed it, something about it just seems off. Like it’s a caricature of a Submariner Date. It just doesn’t look right to me.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I think the good news is that the SD43 is very very popular. If you buy one at MSRP, you could almost certainly resell it for more than you paid. Or at least get your money back if you don't like it for some reason. Frankly though, if you are used to how thick and heavy Omega have become with their Planet Ocean line, I can't see the SD43 being a shock.

Conversely, from what I can tell, if you pay MSRP on an Omega, you can expect it to lose 30-40% of its value in the first week. Omega may have stepped up their game in recent times, along with their prices, but those prices are just not sticking on the secondary market, like they do with Rolex.

I wouldn't be afraid to look at the Submariner too. While it may seem a lot smaller than the 42, 43.5 or 45.5mm versions of the Planet Ocean, it wears a lot bigger than the size would suggest.

I wear a GMT which is a shade thinner but fairly Sub-like in size. And I have previously worn both a Planet Ocean 2500 and the larger 8500 both in 45.5mm sizes. And I'm not walking around feeling like I'm wearing a tiny lady watch at this time.

You should be able to find a Submariner or Deep Sea to try on at some authorized Rolex dealers, just to get an idea of size. Even though sports models are fairly short on supply at the moment, you can usually find at least a two tone version of a Sub or GMT in stock (the gold does make them feel a bit heavier). Or a Deep sea, which is a little larger than the SD43.

So while you probably won't be able to find an SD43 sitting around in a Rolex dealer any time soon, you can probably try on some other watches to get some ideas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. I tried on the sub and it just didn't feel right. It seemed small. Maybe if the bracelet on the sub was a hair lager or tapered a hair less it would work for me.

I agree, I got my PO from watchuwant/watchbox/Govberg. It was only a month or 2 old. Good deal off MSRP. I definitely wouldn't mind getting the seadweller full msrp. I've seen a few on Chrono24 but the markup is silly. I'm willing to pay up to a grand more than I'd pay after tax but that's my limit. After that I start to feel like a sucker.

·
Registered
27,043 Posts
Wearing a 43mm with a 6.7” wrist seems comical, just get a sub and call it good. The sub is still probably too big but won’t look nearly as odd as the SD.

Just my 2c

·
Registered
16 Posts
I feel liberated going from an 8500XL > Sub 114060 on a 7.5" wrist.

I thought I needed mass to fill this thing out, but man, going smaller was the best thing ever. I can't even look at the PO anymore without laughing at myself.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I feel liberated going from an 8500XL > Sub 114060 on a 7.5" wrist.

I thought I needed mass to fill this thing out, but man, going smaller was the best thing ever. I can't even look at the PO anymore without laughing at myself.
Ditto. Also have a 7.5" wrist and I find the current 40mm sub just a perfect size. It feels very similar in size to my Speedmaster. I think the OP really should give it more of a chance. It's likely he wore his PO8900 into the store, and after that, sure the sub is going to feel small.

Everyone has their own taste and style preferences though, so I wish the OP the best in their selection process.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I tried on a PO 8900 in the boutique and I have a ~6.5" wrist. I don't think 43mm is too bad, the problem is more the thickness/height. It wears/looks awkward (at least to me).

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Thanks for the info. I tried on the sub and it just didn't feel right. It seemed small. Maybe if the bracelet on the sub was a hair lager or tapered a hair less it would work for me.

I agree, I got my PO from watchuwant/watchbox/Govberg. It was only a month or 2 old. Good deal off MSRP. I definitely wouldn't mind getting the seadweller full msrp. I've seen a few on Chrono24 but the markup is silly. I'm willing to pay up to a grand more than I'd pay after tax but that's my limit. After that I start to feel like a sucker.
There is an adjustment period because the PO has a lot of heft.

Even coming off a 45.5mm I’ve adjusted.

I actually tried a 42mm Explorer II first and then moved down in size to a GMT.

I’d go back up to 43mm again maybe but not bigger.

I just think the Sub is more substantial than you think, but it will initially seem small if you’re used to a PO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
Of all the choice, the 8900 PO is the most unbalanced. The movement is a work horse but it;s just way too thick, it was too thick and heavy for the 8500 45.5mm and its still too thick for the 43.5mm. YMMV.

The sub, SD43 and the exp II is still way more wearable than the PO.

·
Registered
20,935 Posts
Ditto. Also have a 7.5" wrist and I find the current 40mm sub just a perfect size. It feels very similar in size to my Speedmaster. I think the OP really should give it more of a chance. It's likely he wore his PO8900 into the store, and after that, sure the sub is going to feel small.

Everyone has their own taste and style preferences though, so I wish the OP the best in their selection process.
I'm also an owner of both a 114060 and a Speedmaster Pro. I agree that they wear very similarly. And my wrist is also 7.5" or so (it changes during the day, so it can get up to about 7.75" sometimes), and while I can pull off bigger watches, I tend to like them, especially these days, in the 40-42mm range.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My wrist is pretty flat so the PO 8900 looks good. If i could post pics, id post. Lugs dont overhang at all. Its less about the diameter and more about the lug to lug measurement. 50mm is my limit that's right where the PO sits, 49-50.

If the sea dweller is 49mm that would be just perfect and my PO , Navi world and SA are all gone. Actually the SA and Naviworld im, ready to let go now kust havent got around to listing. . The SA was nice when i was a younger lad. It was my vegas watch lol. The navi world was a case of me wanting it for a while and when i finally decided to get off the money i weighed 20 pounds less and had smaller wrist. I just got it but oh well. Next owner will enjoy.

As for the sub or 116600 vs 216 I'd rather a slightly larger dial and slightly larger bracelet with short lugs. The p.o. lugs are nice and short.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Btw how many posts do I need before I can direct post pics. A thread is nothing without pics. Being a long time lurker I've enjoyed you guys pics. I want to join in on the fun! Thanks again for all the feedback.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts