WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have an uncle that likes watches and the idea of mechanicals, etc...but really wants a thin watch. very thin...like sub 10mm thin...i am not aware of too many that are kissing that range...but there are so many out there im not aware of.

he does have a budget of $5-600...but could be persuaded to spend more on the right watch.

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
i have an uncle that likes watches and the idea of mechanicals, etc...but really wants a thin watch. very thin...like sub 10mm thin...i am not aware of too many that are kissing that range...but there are so many out there im not aware of.

he does have a budget of $5-600...but could be persuaded to spend more on the right watch.

thanks in advance.
You probably want a 2892 based watch... you could probably find a Longines Flagship for about that much -- 35mm x 8mm or so.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If you could persuade him to consider a quartz watch for a moment, then look at any of the Citizen Stilettos. Most are about 5mm thin.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Can it be vintage? If so, a restored Hamilton thin-o-matic from the 50-60's fit in your budget. They are right at 1cm, but look thinner on the arm. I believe Elgin made a similar watch during this time period too, but I don't know what is was called.

·
Registered
4,427 Posts
If he can be persuaded to go vintage, try Eterna. I have an Eterna-Matic Centenaire with date that, including the crystal, is 5.5mm thick. Several Eternas of the 50's and 60's were touted to be the thinnest automatics on the market.

~Sherry.

·
Registered
41,256 Posts
There was a Piaget that was 4.88mm.
If he can be persuaded to go vintage, try Eterna. I have an Eterna-Matic Centenaire with date that, including the crystal, is 5.5mm thick. Several Eternas of the 50's and 60's were touted to be the thinnest automatics on the market.

~Sherry.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you could persuade him to consider a quartz watch for a moment, then look at any of the Citizen Stilettos. Most are about 5mm thin.
already tried...but he has a quartz.

not sure if it can be vintage or not...can you post pics that i can show him? thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Vintage is the way to go. You can find a nice 50s - 60s era Seamaster or Constellation in that price range. Expand your budget to $700-$800 and you can find an excellent condition Pie Pan.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Longines Flagship 36mm x 8mm can be had on grey market on leather strap for $600-$700 or so

Longines Presence automatic 35mm x 7mm same movement as above but no display back so it's thinner. Can be had for $600 or so grey, various dials.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
I would imagine the thinnest auto would one with a micro-rotor such as Patek and Geneve. Hamilton also made one years back.

I know Blancpain make some very thin watches as well.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I would imagine the thinnest auto would one with a micro-rotor such as Patek and Geneve. Hamilton also made one years back.

I know Blancpain make some very thin watches as well.
Perhaps the micro-rotor would be ideal but since it is a relatively new invention such calibres usually have a display back, which adds to the thickness. I believe Blancpain and Piaget have some of the thinnest executions. The thinnest complications are generally produced by Breguet, which can have a calendar-power reserve automatic in a 7-8mm case and a tourbillon perpetual calendar in a 10mm case. However I think it's important to remember that we should be focusing on the $500-$600 mark, and conceivably a bit higher than that, but not off by a factor of 10.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Your uncle will have to decide whats more important to him, auto or thinness, if he wants ultra-thin (total case thickness below 2mm), he will have to go quartz

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Your uncle will have to decide whats more important to him, auto or thinness, if he wants ultra-thin (total case thickness below 2mm), he will have to go quartz
i think he is fine with sub 10mm...he understands there is a limit if you are sticking with auto.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts